• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A08 Pro Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 71.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
Nice brick, you have to wait years for "established" brands to adopt at least (non-HD) apt-X, wheres these chinese companies implement it charmingly easy, t
I never noticed that. But it'd be interesting to know if all these brands actually pay for Qualcomm's licence and royalties. I don't want to be presumptuous but it remains a fact that it's very hard to sue Chinese companies. There is nothing hard in that. "Charmingly easy" makes me giggle a bit, the only thing uneasy about AptX is on the budget. I find that totally normal that some companies to assess if it's worth it. Measurements here show mediocre performance but I am in the camp that Traditional 1K FFT may not be the right measurments to assess the benefit or uselessness of these CODECS. That said, If I was doing a BT speaker with 2 inch drivers or a very cheap pair of headphones, I'd surely skip on those, nobody would hear the difference.

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I never noticed that. But it'd be interesting to know if all these brands actually pay for Qualcomm's licence and royalties. I don't want to be presumptuous but it remains a fact that it's very hard to sue Chinese companies. There is nothing hard in that. "Charmingly easy" makes me giggle a bit, the only thing uneasy about AptX is on the budget. I find that totally normal that some companies to assess if it's worth it. Measurements here show mediocre performance but I am in the camp that Traditional 1K FFT may not be the right measurments to assess the benefit or uselessness of these CODECS. That said, If I was doing a BT speaker with 2 inch drivers of a very cheap pair of headphones, I'd surely skip on those, nobody would hear the difference.
Why would Qualcomm rely on self reporting from the company and not in a mark-up in the chip price at the point of sale?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Why would Qualcomm rely on self reporting from the company and not in a mark-up in the chip price at the point of sale?
Because they want to sell chips to everybody that design Bluetooth products I guess? Their SOCs are the most integrated and easy to implement, but it doesn't come with the licence, unless it changed lately. And You have to tell them a range of serial numbers to calculate the Royalties. It's not huge, like 70 cents a unit + maybe 15K or so for the Licence, But for smaller companies it adds up if you make a run of let's say 10 000 units,Well that's about 25K that you have to pay upfront before you sold even 1 units. On top of the Bluetooth SIG registration and certificate, on top of all other certifications. It may have changed but it used to be like that.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
@AIYIMA not a bad little amp for just over $100, watts per dollar is great and love the VU/tone controls, even BT. :)

A suggestion rather than a criticism, however I honestly think it would be better if your company changed their spec's to be more accurate... I mean, 300W@4Ω is simply not possible;

51BIVWiVxQL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Aiyima could even link to ASR or other test results in marketing and specification listings. Customers may appreciate the more accurate approach and now your company is sending devices in regularly for testing it could be beneficial if those results matched closer for all products.

JSmith

raif71

Major Contributor
Do you guys think the aux-out suitable to connect to a headphone? Say Sennheiser hd600 or a Sundara?

Edit: maybe I should ask whether the aux-out is affected by volume control of A08

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent review. The amp is not in the upper echelons of measurements, it is a good choice for non-believers in high SINADs as the price is affordable. Thank you Amir! Your reviews are extremely precise and a joy to read. In contrast with Denon, Aiyima improves the quality with its new products.
Indeed, this seems like a great budget choice. Great price-to-power ratio. Due to the load dependency in the treble it is probably not completely audibly transparent, at least with some speakers (I would gladly trade away 20 db of distortion for a flat frequency response that is not load dependent). But all subjective reviews so far indicates it sounds fine!

EDIT: I see it sold for 139 USD at Amazon, quite a bit higher than the price Amir gives in the review?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@AIYIMA not a bad little amp for just over $100, watts per dollar is great and love the VU/tone controls, even BT. :)

A suggestion rather than a criticism, however I honestly think it would be better if your company changed their spec's to be more accurate... I mean, 300W@4Ω is simply not possible;

51BIVWiVxQL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Aiyima could even link to ASR or other test results in marketing and specification listings. Customers may appreciate the more accurate approach and now your company is sending devices in regularly for testing it could be beneficial if those results matched closer for all products.
All of these tiny amps are marketed like this. I think this is for a great part due to the PSU, 100W into 4R, and 58 into 8R is about 20V. For 300W you'll need at least 35V, and 10A (per channel). Clearly, the PSU is current-limited here in both 4R and 8R. A 36V 10A PSU may pull it off.

AndreaT

Indeed, this seems like a great budget choice. Great price-to-power ratio. Due to the load dependency in the treble it is probably not completely audibly transparent, at least with some speakers (I would gladly trade away 20 db of distortion for a flat frequency response that is not load dependent). But all subjective reviews so far indicates it sounds fine!

EDIT: I see it sold for 139 USD at Amazon, quite a bit higher than the price Amir gives in the review?
Aliexpress $ 105, Walmart $ 115…

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Nice brick, you have to wait years for "established" brands to adopt at least (non-HD) apt-X, wheres these chinese companies implement it charmingly easy, this time with modern BT v5.0 with both Apt-X HD and LDAC.
Seems like it goes through CS4344 24-bit, 192 kHz DAC chip while using BT as source.

Combo mentioned above, looks avant-garde :)
View attachment 240573
Wow nice pic at this price point ,if the dac only preforms half as good as the amp now

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Well, it's only 90 SINAD. For this kind of stuff, good enough.
Here’s the question…value wise….how likely are we to notice the difference between 90 Sinad and my gustard x16 , 120 Sinad, in a room that is complicated ….with speakers that have not been equalized ….or any room equalization applied to it….and the speakers are not allowed to be in optimum position because it’s the living room.

KR500

Fordiebianco,

Thanks for posting your link in post # 14to the cheap tube audio article about the Aiyima Company, interesting

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
about the BT chipsets... i feel like the Chinese arent copying these chips... its probably cheaper for them to just license these by the 1,000,0000 per tray and just spray them anywhere...

oddly enough in a very very chinese way of operation, the preamp has this:

notice it only supports AptX HD

but the power amp has this:

supports LL and LDAC etc.

so this is just bad timing I guess, the tube preamp came out before the A08 Pro.

About pricing....

Arrow Components says that is min. 2600 parts for usd$3.636... so you can imagine the cost if you buy a million.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Is the "aux output" controlled by the volume & tone controls? Or what? We would need it to be controlled by the volume control to be suitable for use with a powered subwoofer.
1667316551355.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
right now its $125 delivered due to China 11/11 mass consumerism event

amir's tested psu is 36v 6amp

their chart here:

copy:

says 32v 5a *should* do 75w @ 8 ohm but who knows what thd? 10%?

however power climbs strongly given enough amperage

up to 135w (LOL!) at 48v 12.5amp but these may be undernourished chinese watts

i wonder what the hell happens when you run an amp that is "48w" on a normal day to "135w" given a sufficient psu... is that kind of increase even safe?

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Where does one go to find a more powerful supply for this class of amps? Amazon (at least) doesn't seem to offer a 48v 12 amp brick.

Top Bottom