• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKM new flagship AK4191 + AK4499EX

bryan0101

I just saw the SMSL has new flagship inplementing this new AKM combo.
Below is the summary from goog, so can someone with expertise in this explain if this is just a gimmick (splitting into 2 chips like this)?
And what is that signal from AK4191 going into AK4499EX? DSD, PCM or something else?
What does "separate the digital and analog portions of the clocking" means? cause I thought if no conversion, the whole thing should be on the same master clock??

r900-600-ak4191+ak4499ex.jpeg

Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation (AKM) has developed a new flagship stereo D/A converter (DAC), the AK4499EX, which is newly designed as a complete separation of digital and analog circuitry solution in conjunction with the AK4191 and is based upon the world-class predecessor AK4499 Current Output DAC.

The design uses the latest high-quality sound technology and a completely separate digital/analog solution to achieve a “sound as if you were there” experience. The analog characteristics also exceed those of the integrated D/A predecessor AK4499, allowing users to experience an unprecedented level of life-like sound.

When used in conjunction with the AK4191 the AK4499EX is the ideal analog conversion solution for playback of ultra-high-resolution sound sources: up to 1536kHz sample rate, 64-bit PCM; or 44.8MHz sample rate DSD.

Sample shipments are expected to begin in the second quarter of 2022, with volume production in the third quarter of 2022.

AK4499EX

The newly developed “DWA (Data Weighted Averaging) Routing Technology” suppresses noise caused by manufacturing process factors and achieves world-class analog characteristics that exceed those of the predecessor flagship DAC, the AK4499.

In addition to adopting a completely separated digital/analog circuitry solution, the design was further refined based upon AKM’s latest high-quality sound design techniques resulting in a perceived improvement of the ratio of signal to noise from all perspectives. The system reproduces all musical information, down to the most minute detail, to achieve a “sound as if you were there” experience.

AK4191+AK4499EX

The new “asynchronous operation mode” feature in the AK4191 makes it possible to completely separate the digital and analog portions of the clocking. The AK4499EX + AK4191 two-chip solution provides high-precision D/A conversion with a low-jitter clock.

sq225917

Major Contributor
So, they can't produce the very large gate size required by the previous design due to lack of process availability at their chip foundry, so they've split it into two chips to make it manufacturable ? That's what I'm reading.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like more tech that you can't hear the difference but sounds nice on paper. MQA was a backward step and the industry doesn't seem to have anything else to do now so much affordable equipment is hitting 120+ SINAD.
I have some 24 bit 88khz songs and they really do sound great, but unless binaural recordings get popular, they sound pretty cool. I don't see where they can go with chip design. It's not like video cards where games are more demanding. Built in EQ? It looks like they're building stuff that makes no audible difference on current content.

Scytales

Forum Donor
And what is that signal from AK4191 going into AK4499EX? DSD, PCM or something else?
What does "separate the digital and analog portions of the clocking" means? cause I thought if no conversion, the whole thing should be on the same master clock??
The signal going from AK4191 into AK4499EX is obviously a multilevel delta-sigma modulation.

As for your second question, it simply means that by physically separating analogue circuitry from purely digital circuitry, which runs at very high speed, hence generating HF noise, there is less noise leakage of said HF noise to the analogue circuitry. It's a perfectly valid design choice, previously employed by other manufacturers, such as Sony.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it a manufacturing issues or a way get rid of noise or both .

Or does it opens for third party multilevel DS modulation in software and use half of the chip set :)

Anyway cool to see AKM making products again after the fire.

We will know when actuall products show up how the cost benefit for this holds up.

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's a chip fab issue, or choice, if they're looking at lower power usage options for mobile..

MacCali

Major Contributor
I am anxiously awaiting a new rendition of the AKM chips with chifi or any manufacturer.

I doubt anything is going to beat the D70s subjectively. I got the liquid platinum dac as well with the 4499 and it’s close but without blind testing prefer the D70s still

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am anxiously awaiting a new rendition of the AKM chips with chifi or any manufacturer.

I doubt anything is going to beat the D70s subjectively. I got the liquid platinum dac as well with the 4499 and it’s close but without blind testing prefer the D70s still
see this:

SMSL D400ES and SMSL D400Ex​

Plcamp

The sentence “When used in conjunction with the AK4191 the AK4499EX is the ideal analog conversion solution for playback of ultra-high-resolution sound sources” implies to me AKM could have a customer target for the 4499EX that does not need the 4191?

BR52

Maybe, or it has to do with their new manufacturing situation. They can use different processes.

Scytales

Forum Donor
From some years, we already can see that some manufacturers tackle the digital signal processing side (ie oversampling and delta-sigma modulation) of the digital to analogue conversion process themselves. Furthermore, it is possible that AKM anticipates that more and more end customers will eventually make themselves not only said elementary signal processing but also volume control, equalization, filtering, etc... in software in computer or custom digital processing board. Hence, what this end customers would really need is only the actual digital to analogue part of the conversion process.

Top Bottom