• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

ABall

Forum Donor
Only thing I can think of is theres just not enough modules to meet the demand for DIY, let's hope it all gets back to some semblance of normal, brexit Britain is bad enough without supply issues.

dustinyo

We can annouch now that the Nilai mono and stereo kit as well as our pre amplifier kit will be available on the web shop upcoming Monday. So keep an eye out on the shop. We will release a newsletter and post on Facebook when they are online.
Do you have any more information such as specifications on the pre-amplifier kit?

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have enjoyed NC400 for 10 years.

B1575CA7-3150-4BDD-A5B3-EC3F2E396BB8.jpeg

I offered my amplifiers for testing in the early call for “we measure equipment for free” thread

No failure in 10 years. I expect 20 years of service for an amplifier.

If class D amplifier starts to last like computer hard drives (remember those); eg. MTBF of 5 years; I’m going back to Class A/B with discrete components and through hole circuitry eg: Benchmark AHB2

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Will there be a nilai plate amp, say with 2x250 + 1x100 watts?

Like the Hypex FA253

Piere

Yeah this is 2022 things should be designed with serviceability in mind.

As long as Hypex keeps the innards secret, no serviceability at all other than replacement of complete modules. This electronics is of same complexity as SMPS, PC's, Flatscreens, etc. and as such has comparable lifetime. Don't think that will be a problem.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not know what Hypex plans for the useful life of their electronics. However…

As for serviceability, there are tradeoffs beyond just the electronics. Even the cost to ship a return may exceed the depreciated value of the module. If not shipping then the labor and handling costs can mean repair cost exceeds the cost to build new. As for older tech like thru-hole, unless you drive some major volume, unlikely you get to dictate how your components are packaged. If your volume is smaller, your component packaging choices are determined by other interests. Even if your unique component may be thru-hole, other supporting components may only be available as surface mount.

I worked in industrial electronics for decades and our customers have a high desire for long service life for automation electronics. My employer had entire departments devoted to managing component longevity. Even with some significant volume, their volume did not compare with consumer electronics. For example, CPUs and memory components are key to controllers. As those components have much shorter life cycles than the life cycle of the controller, you are forced to consider constant redesigning or carrying large older component inventories. In either case, these are added costs to longer product life. All along the way, you are also being driven by a need to have newer, better performing products to remain competitive too.

Please forgive the somewhat off topic content and agree that the layman should not have to concern themselves with the details, but mainly shared to help illustrate some factors that drive product cost that are beyond a simple analysis of manufacturing cost.:)

Last edited:

Dirk_67

We can annouch now that the Nilai mono and stereo kit as well as our pre amplifier kit will be available on the web shop upcoming Monday. So keep an eye out on the shop. We will release a newsletter and post on Facebook when they are online.
do you really mean "today", the 31. Oct. ?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I do not know what Hypex plans for the useful life of their electronics. However…

As for serviceability, there are tradeoffs beyond just the electronics. Even the cost to ship a return may exceed the depreciated value of the module. If not shipping then the labor and handling costs can mean repair cost exceeds the cost to build new. As for older tech like thru-hole, unless you drive some major volume, unlikely you get to dictate how your components are packaged. If your volume is smaller, your component packaging choices are determined by other interests. Even if your unique component may be thru-hole, other supporting components may only be available as surface mount.

I worked in industrial electronics for decades and our customers have a high desire for long service life for automation electronics. My employer had entire departments devoted to managing component longevity. Even with some significant volume, their volume did not compare with consumer electronics. For example, CPUs and memory components are key to controllers. As those components have much shorter life cycles than the life cycle of the controller, you are forced to consider constant redesigning or carrying large older component inventories. In either case, these are added costs to longer product life. All along the way, you are also being driven by a need to have newer, better performing products to remain competitive too.

Please forgive the somewhat off topic content and agree that the layman should not have to concern themselves with the details, but mainly shared to help illustrate factors that drive product cost that are beyond a simple analysis of manufacturing cost.:)

With respect, that's a bunch of handwaving BS.

Schematics, and commonly available parts available, and practically anything can be repaired.

Hypex have proved (to me) they are not remotely interested in their products being repaired. They provide ZERO information. And yet, I have (against my better judgment) repaired their stuff.

I wouldn't touch/buy their products with a barge pole until they do what they are required to do, and provide adequate service manuals, schematics and reasonably priced parts.

@Hypexsales When are you going to provide schematics and parts? When are you going to fall in line with EU requirements for same?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With respect, that's a bunch of handwaving BS.

Could you be less specific, and I'll try not to wave my hands too much, but I am part Italian. ;)

Schematics, and commonly available parts available, and practically anything can be repaired.

No disagreement here. My point was whether it can be justified based on its cost. Will readily admit, am not presenting every cost (notably environmental and others), but just some where I have experience.

Hypex have proved (to me) they are not remotely interested in their products being repaired. They provide ZERO information. And yet, I have (against my better judgment) repaired their stuff.

Understand, but my post was not specifically about Hypex and (although am an OEM), do not directly represent them.

I wouldn't touch/buy their products with a barge pole until they do what they are required to do, and provide adequate service manuals, schematics and reasonably priced parts.

Your call, but despite your clear professional skills, my point was that many larger manufacturers do make a call on whether something is repairable or not. Where that line is drawn has many factors. Am not endorsing, but it is the current state of electronics manufacturing and repair. It is not the only industry that does so either.

Last edited:

NikolasA

Same … have been checking since I woke up this morning 8 hours ago… I think they are building the Hype Xtremely well :) the pun was intended. :) I am grabbing a stereo kit

NikolasA

It’s a little confusing it says stereo 250 and mono 500. At first I thought the 500 has one 500w module and the 250 stereo one 500 module split in half hence the 250… but the module itself in both cases is a 250w @ 8 ohms and the mention of 500 is a little misleading. I ended up getting 3 monos. I will be comparing it with a nord se 500 stereo amp I have and I am happy with from a few years ago. Oh and to be fair they had said these listings are like a preorder and it will ship in November. I already knew that…

goryu

the stereo kit has 2x250W
cause this kit has one Power-supply only than can deliver 500W

Noticed that too, so if you want to use the full capacity of the amp module you would need two of these power supplies in the stereo amp.

Top Bottom