• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for center speaker B&W HTM71 S2

Cflfoster

Hi all,

I've recently got a pair of B&W 703 S2, and a HTM71 S2 centre speaker. My front speakers are powered by a Rega Elex-r, through a Denon x3800. Then centre doesn't quite have the same sound as the other 2 speakers, and I'm fairly sure it's due to being powered by the Denon, so was looking for an amp to power the centre. I'm not sure whether to look into 3 channel amps, 2 channel separately, pro audio amps etc.

I've looked at Behringer a800 as a possibility. I'm assuming you can just power 1 speaker from it/powered the center with the rega and use the Benhringer to power the front 2.

Any suggestions/ things to look at would be appreciated.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I was a betting man I will bet the difference in sound has nothing to do with the amplifier. It’s due to different speakers used for the centre. LCR should use same speakers.

OP
C

Cflfoster

Hi Sarumbear,

I'm not sure what you mean. The B&W HTM71 s2 is the matched center speaker for the 703 s2s.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Sarumbear,

I'm not sure what you mean. The B&W HTM71 s2 is the matched center speaker for the 703 s2s.
I apologise. I misread your post. In which case listen the two models one by one in mono, in the same position and fed by the same channel of the Rega amp and see if they sound different. If they do, I’m very wrong, ignore my posts. If they don’t, B&W fibbed.

OP
C

Cflfoster

I apologise. I misread your post. In which case listen the two models one by one in mono, in the same position and fed by the same channel of the Rega amp and see if they sound different. If they do, I’m very wrong, ignore my posts. If they don’t, B&W fibbed.

I see! Thanks, I think I'll give that a try. Not at home tonight, will try it when I'm back. AFAIK, they're identical drivers, except the mid change is a 5" rather than a 6".

It may be that I'm simply used to listening to TV in stereo that it sounds a bit different to me.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see! Thanks, I think I'll give that a try. Not at home tonight, will try it when I'm back. AFAIK, they're identical drivers, except the mid change is a 5" rather than a 6".

It may be that I'm simply used to listening to TV in stereo that it sounds a bit different to me.
As @amirm does, the only way to listen a speaker “sound” and/or compare is in mono.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt the amps make any difference here. Audyssey should fix most of the differences in frequency response for you. You can always fine tune by hand using the Audyssey app. That has far more influence than a different amp.

Top Bottom