• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

MKR

Major Contributor
Howdy All,

Is it even possible? Full range floorstanders that are accurate/neutral and can play loud with minimal distortion for around $1500 budget? I suppose I am asking for a pink unicorn.

Some possibles I have identified thus far …

Polk ES60
JBL Studio 580/590
PSB Imagine X2T
Elac DFR52
Elac UF52
Monoprice Encore T6
Arendal 1961
Emotiva T2+
Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary
Revel F36
Kef R7

Thoughts on the above? Any others I should consider?

Room size is ~10’x20’x8’

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
You found a sweet spot in price/performance. The speakers that are listed here are seemingly great recommendations. Some have been tested and come with great recommendations. I would cancel the DFR 52 and put the Revel F36 in its place. Now your list would be very good. I looked at them on the manufacturers websites, looked at the specs and it is a very tough choice. It seemed like the Arendal 1961 had the best bass performance, but I didn't do a deep dive into each speaker. I'm really at a loss. So many good speakers all around the same price. It is almost a crap shoot. I personally find that buying the best bass performance means the speakers usually sound top notch. But, if you have a good subwoofer, it will not matter. Very tough decision, I'm glad you are making it and not me! :)

Let us know what you decide and how you like whatever you bought!

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can think of 2 ...
Revel F36
JBL 590 when on sale @ $399 each

Reactions: MKR

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mglobe’s post speaks volumes. OP asked about buying a 30K pair of speakers and is now asking about 1.5k. Great forum discussion — OP doesn’t seem serious…

Bleib

Major Contributor
OP must have read about diminishing returns.
Or wants 1500 USD speaker before he finds the 30k holy grail speakers.
Or two systems.
Does it matter?
A topic like this can help others as well.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Howdy All,

Is it even possible? Full range floorstanders that are accurate/neutral and can play loud with minimal distortion for around $1500 budget? I suppose I am asking for a pink unicorn.

Some possibles I have identified thus far …

Polk ES60
JBL Studio 580 (would consider the JBL Studio 590, but I think way overpriced at $2k and of course over my budget)
PSB Imagine X2T
Elac DFR52
Elac UF52
Monoprice Encore T6
Arendal 1961

Thoughts on the above? Any others I should consider?

Room size is ~10’x20’x8’

Thanks!
You can currently get a pair of Heco Aurora 700 for € 500-600,- in Germany (perhaps also in the EU) and a pair of Heco Aurora 1000 from around € 1000,-.

Check Youtube reviews for the ZU Audio Dirty weekend. Got a pair last year and love them. It's a full range driver with a super tweeter,

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
What does "full range" mean to you?
Indeed good question ... I am referring to the low end specifically in this case, and would love to hit 20Hz, but at this budget that is impossible stand-alone (with no sub). Maybe even 30Hz is difficult.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check Youtube reviews for the ZU Audio Dirty weekend. Got a pair last year and love them. It's a full range driver with a super tweeter,
Sounds absolutely dreadful. Shopping YouTube for anything is a dead end.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I just looked at the subject, Ctrl+F KEF and didn't find anything. So I'm just gonna say. With a proper deal you can get KEF R5 for 1500$ and I think it's hard to beat them at this price point.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
This is in addition to your end-game $30k speakers you're shopping for?
Yup … that hunt is ongoing. This ask is for a separate smaller room system that I don’t want to dump too much funds into, want to keep as much as possible for my end game system!

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@mglobe’s post speaks volumes. OP asked about buying a 30K pair of speakers and is now asking about 1.5k. Great forum discussion — OP doesn’t seem serious…
@GXAlan You don’t even know me and not helpful at all. Very serious about both. Some of the end game speakers i am considering are a ways out before release, so I need something to keep me satisfied in the meantime in a smaller room

Top Bottom