• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice choosing a DAC

Advice choosing a DAC

• Total voters

Sentinel

I own and would also recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and the Schitt Bifrost DAC, which is a little cheaper but also less versatile. They sound quite different (the Bifrost is warmer but less resolving - still an excellent DAC!) and so I use them in different systems where their strengths are better suited to the amplifier and speakers that they're partnered with. DACs vary significantly in their impact on the sound of your system, something I discovered as the quality/resolution of my system improved. In a capable but entry level system, you won't hear a meaningful difference, so it also depends on whether you plan to invest and develop your setup.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
DACs vary significantly in their impact on the sound of your system, something I discovered as the quality/resolution of my system improved.

Prepare for a tsunami of facepalms and eye rolls :D

Suffice to say, that statement about DACs does not follow the general consensus on line level electronics on this forum.

No offence, but new users who choose to do this kind of "enlightenment" in their first post on ASR are a dime a dozen. It's not that we think you shouldn't have an opinion, but this stuff has been disputed ad infinitum, and it always comes down to placebo or unreliable testing.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own and would also recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and the Schitt Bifrost DAC, which is a little cheaper but also less versatile. They sound quite different (the Bifrost is warmer but less resolving - still an excellent DAC!) and so I use them in different systems where their strengths are better suited to the amplifier and speakers that they're partnered with. DACs vary significantly in their impact on the sound of your system, something I discovered as the quality/resolution of my system improved. In a capable but entry level system, you won't hear a meaningful difference, so it also depends on whether you plan to invest and develop your setup.
Uh huh.

Trell

Major Contributor
Prepare for a tsunami of facepalms and eye rolls :D

Like a tasty Chuck Eye Roll? :D
1666875159828.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DACs vary significantly in their impact on the sound of your system, something I discovered as the quality/resolution of my system improved. In a capable but entry level system, you won't hear a meaningful difference, so it also depends on whether you plan to invest and develop your setup.
DACs do NOT vary much if anything at all. You do not need a expensive resolving system to, "Hear a meaningful difference." Your commentary is malarkey.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That may be your perception, but not necessarily what is happening.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Audirvana requires a VST plugin to apply EQ. This isn't something I've used or set up, but there seem to be a number of plugins you can use, and you should be able to use similar settings to your APO ones with the right plugin. It'll need you to do some research on the matter, but that will be cheaper than an RME DAC to store settings just for one set of speakers.

Wiothout much evidence, I am wondering if the amp may be the weak point here given that those are nominally 6 ohm speakers, but that'll probably still be a fairly expensive upgrade.

Having said that, bringing the TV into the system does sound like the next step here. Generally, I believe the best reason to upgrade is to add something to the system, rather than chasing sound quality.

Do any of your suggested DACs have a distributor where you are located? Warranty and support may be more important than feature set here.

Sentinel

DACs do NOT vary much if anything at all. You do not need a expensive resolving system to, "Hear a meaningful difference." Your commentary is malarkey.
I was in your shoes previously. I've discovered that this pursuit couldn't be better suited to the adage that ignorance is bliss. We should all enjoy where we are in the journey but it's also perfectly valid to offer an alternative view if it's grounded in our experience.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I own and would also recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and the Schitt Bifrost DAC, which is a little cheaper but also less versatile. They sound quite different (the Bifrost is warmer but less resolving - ...

Frost here refers to cold things.
I assumed bi frost would be double cold.

So I am surprised it is warmer.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
We should all enjoy where we are in the journey but it's also perfectly valid to offer an alternative view if it's grounded in our experience.

An alternate view that can't be supported with evidence can simply be discarded.

I've discovered that this pursuit couldn't be better suited to the adage that ignorance is bliss.

Unfortunately, the ignorant are the ones being taken advantage of by the hi end propaganda machine. I wouldn't call that bliss.

Try this:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was in your shoes previously. I've discovered that this pursuit couldn't be better suited to the adage that ignorance is bliss. We should all enjoy where we are in the journey but it's also perfectly valid to offer an alternative view if it's grounded in our experience.
Ignorance is ignorance. Bliss is bliss. To think that they are one and the same is... well.. ignorant.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
We should all enjoy where we are in the journey but it's also perfectly valid to offer an alternative view if it's grounded in our experience.

Absolutely. But it should be made 100% clear that it's just a personal experience. And when other people point out that it isn't useful as reliable information, it shouldn't be taken personally.

vrobec

Hello all,

Currently I am using Allo Boss 1.2v with raspberry pi4 and Volumio, but I want to upgrade my current setup and I would like to buy a external DAC (I plan also connect TV), so I would like to get some advice.

Currently I am choosing between these 4 options below:

For me is important to get as much as possible, in this price range, natural sound, deep low frequencies and wider sound stage.
Is any of these 4 DAC's is good option or it will be same as with Allo Boss 1.2v?
I have Allo Piano 2.1 with Kali Reclocker on RPi4 powered via linear PSU. Have the same setup with SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII, too. These setups are very similar to your Allo Boss v1.2. I can't hear any significant difference. So I think if you want to buy a new DAC, spare some money and get something better where you can (maybe) hear the diffetence.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I have Allo Piano 2.1 with Kali Reclocker on RPi4 powered via linear PSU. Have the same setup with SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII, too. These setups are very similar to your Allo Boss v1.2. I can't hear any significant difference. So I think if you want to buy a new DAC, spare some money and get something better where you can (maybe) hear the diffetence.

^That^ is a lot of gear for a “maybe”.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
At the risk of opening a jumbo sized container of wiggly things, I’m entirely surprised at the implication that you can even hear an insignificant difference.

vrobec

At the risk of opening a jumbo sized container of wiggly things, I’m entirely surprised at the implication that you can even hear an insignificant difference.
In this price cathegory you can hardly hear the difference, and all these DACs belong here.

Trell

Major Contributor
In this price cathegory you can hardly hear the difference, and all these DACs belong here.

But if they where more expensive you could hear a difference?

Have you seen this thread?

Last edited:

Vasile 76

Aș cumpăra Chord mojo 2 și l-aș folosi în sistemul desktop Marantz pm 6006 + Dali Oberon3. Sunt lăudați pentru sunetul căștilor, dar nu știu dacă este bun pe sistemul desktop.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Aș cumpăra Chord mojo 2 și l-aș folosi în sistemul desktop Marantz pm 6006 + Dali Oberon3. Sunt lăudați pentru sunetul căștilor, dar nu știu dacă este bun pe sistemul desktop.

I would buy the Chord mojo 2 and use it in the Marantz pm 6006 + Dali Oberon3 desktop system. They are praised for the headphone sound, but I don't know if it is good on the desktop system.

You're a bit late, seven months after the last post here, I daresay the decision is well and truly made already. But to reply...

You are paying more with the Mojo, partly for portability. It otherwise does the same job as the other cheap options mentioned here and costs more. If someone wants one DAC for portable and home systems, it may be a good option.

Top Bottom