• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 229 48.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.3%

• Total voters

nothingman

I asked for "kind of performance", not if Airplay was available on Android.

Yeah but what’s the point of asking the original question that when you have no way of using Airplay to begin with?

To answer question: the latter performance. Tidal Connect and using toslink out should get you clean, bit-perfect performance. But note that most content on Tidal is not hi-res.

Loba

Hi all, I am consideRING this to hook up to my NAD D 3020v2 -> STAX SRD-7MK2 + STAX SR-X MK3>

My main usage is for Spotify and playing of music files from my Android phone. May I know how playing of files from Android phone works? Is it only through DLNA capable music players?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hi all, I am consideRING this to hook up to my NAD D 3020v2 -> STAX SRD-7MK2 + STAX SR-X MK3>

My main usage is for Spotify and playing of music files from my Android phone. May I know how playing of files from Android phone works? Is it only through DLNA capable music players?
In the WiiM app on your phone, simply go to My Music/ Phone to select what you want to play

Last edited:

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the latest firmware has some more problems with Amazon - specifically I have the Wiim in an Speaker group on Alexa with 2 other devices - the group is starting to "stall" after a few tracks - this was working perfect for a long time, then maybe a month ago started to happen, then it was fixed I think maybe 2 weeks ago but its back being a problem - seems fine on its own with the Amazon Music app - just not being able to cast to the Amazon/Alexa "group" reliably. My guess is a speaker group requires synchronisation and if the Wiim can't sync in time with the other speakers the whole groups just stops playing.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I think the latest firmware has some more problems with Amazon - specifically I have the Wiim in an Speaker group on Alexa with 2 other devices - the group is starting to "stall" after a few tracks - this was working perfect for a long time, then maybe a month ago started to happen, then it was fixed I think maybe 2 weeks ago but its back being a problem - seems fine on its own with the Amazon Music app - just not being able to cast to the Amazon/Alexa "group" reliably. My guess is a speaker group requires synchronisation and if the Wiim can't sync in time with the other speakers the whole groups just stops playing.
Have you turned off hd/uhd playback in the Alexa settings in the Wiim app when using multiroom? If that’s on, Alexa multi room isn’t supported due to memory issues.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you turned off hd/uhd playback in the Alexa settings in the Wiim app when using multiroom? If that’s on, Alexa multi room isn’t supported due to memory issues.
Yes, but strangely I have been playing something for the last hour with non problems. Maybe there is some random network sync issue with multi-room.

Witterings

Yes, but strangely I have been playing something for the last hour with non problems. Maybe there is some random network sync issue with multi-room.

Other issues I found with it today playing multiroom ... if you want to use the slider to go forward or back on a track it doesn't work and if I paused it on the tablet, it would continue playing. I had to disconnect from teh group then reconnect, it's says "You're streaming on another device do you want to stream from this one" you click on yes and then try and reconnect but it says it needs to refresh the list, press yes and it does and then you can take control of it again.

Graham849

Forum Donor
As another option, you simply can launch Spotify in your phone, and just use Spotify Connect to your WiiM.
Thanks for this, I just realised Spotify also 'sees’ the three Chromecasts in the house as well as the two wiims. Learn something new everyday thanks to ASR!

Thomagedu

Thanks for this, I just realised Spotify also 'sees’ the three Chromecasts in the house as well as the two wiims. Learn something new everyday thanks to ASR!
Does it work to select the Wiim Mini as a normal multiroom player alongside a Pioneer Amp that supports spotify connect?
The setup would look like this:
  • Speaker Set 1: Wiim Mini (Incl Spotify Connect) -> Class C Amp (without Spotify Connect) -> Speakers
  • Speaker Set 2: Pioneer VSX-S520D (incl Spotify Connect) -> Speakers
In best case I want to be able to choose both speakers directly from within spotify. Does that work or do I need to use the Arylic App?
Or do I even have to buy 2 Wiim and put one even before the Pioneer?

Thanks in advance

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does it work to select the Wiim Mini as a normal multiroom player alongside a Pioneer Amp that supports spotify connect?
The setup would look like this:
  • Speaker Set 1: Wiim Mini (Incl Spotify Connect) -> Class C Amp (without Spotify Connect) -> Speakers
  • Speaker Set 2: Pioneer VSX-S520D (incl Spotify Connect) -> Speakers
In best case I want to be able to choose both speakers directly from within spotify. Does that work or do I need to use the Arylic App?
Or do I even have to buy 2 Wiim and put one even before the Pioneer?

Thanks in advance
As far as I’m aware, Spotify itself doesn’t support multI room, but can connect to various implementations of multi room, so you’d at least need a second WiiM for speaker set 2. Also, you’d need to use the WiiM app to group the Minis, but tbh I’m not sure if that group would then be visible to Spotify Connect. If you don’t get an answer here, drop WiiM a question using the feedback section in their app.

Edit: having thought about it, you could use two Minis then put them in an Alexa multi room music (MRM) group (just enable Alexa in the Wiim app). That MRM group will then appear as a target device/group in the Spotify app

Last edited:

Thomagedu

As far as I’m aware, Spotify itself doesn’t support multI room, but can connect to various implementations of multi room, so you’d at least need a second WiiM for speaker set 2. Also, you’d need to use the WiiM app to group the Minis, but tbh I’m not sure if that group would then be visible to Spotify Connect. If you don’t get an answer here, drop WiiM a question using the feedback section in their app.

Edit: having thought about it, you could use two Minis then put them in an Alexa multi room music (MRM) group (just enable Alexa in the Wiim app). That MRM group will then appear as a target device/group in the Spotify app
Thank you very much. I'll try it with two of them. I thought spotify would be able by now to connect to multiple devices, but apparently this does not work so far

ENG

Forum Donor
Wiim writes on their homepage that Deezer is a solved problem. I can confirm that this is NOT the case. After a few numbers play Deezer goes back to trial mode with only 128 kb and 30 seconds for each number. Then you can logout and login again with your passwords to Deezer and everything is OK - but only again for a few numbers. Then you a back to trial mode. I think Wiim either conform that it is not a solved problem or solve it in reality.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Wiim writes on their homepage that Deezer is a solved problem. I can confirm that this is NOT the case. After a few numbers play Deezer goes back to trial mode with only 128 kb and 30 seconds for each number. Then you can logout and login again with your passwords to Deezer and everything is OK - but only again for a few numbers. Then you a back to trial mode. I think Wiim either conform that it is not a solved problem or solve it in reality.
Their roadmap has the new Deezer API targeted for the end of the month. I don’t see where they say Deezer “is a solved problem”.

Have you submitted a ticket to WiiM with your issue?

morillon

Major Contributor
they announced September 30..then October 17
now via ticket etc, "in the week" (it was the beginning of last week)
;-)

to the IT people of the forum
What's so special about Deezer, which explains why they've never been able to achieve anything just right since the release of the Wiim?

Brantome

Major Contributor
they announced September 30..then October 17
now via ticket etc, "in the week" (it was the beginning of last week)
;-)

to the IT people of the forum
What's so special about Deezer, which explains why they've never been able to achieve anything just right since the release of the Wiim?
Sounds like Deezer moved the goalposts and introduced a new API and WiiM have had to go back to square one and redevelop what they had. There would have been little point in them putting a lot of effort into fixing bugs in their existing implementation when that time and effort would be better put into the redevelopment. I guess…

morillon

Major Contributor
this is a explain for the current situation...
but..before ?
personally...i don't really hope...
(mini since ... February)

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
Their roadmap has the new Deezer API targeted for the end of the month. I don’t see where they say Deezer “is a solved problem”.

Have you submitted a ticket to WiiM with your issue?
Hello Brantome

I have communicated with Wiim in vain, here you see, where Wiim stated that Deezer is
a solved problem:

DeepSpace57

this is a explain for the current situation...
but..before ?
personally...i don't really hope...
(mini since ... February)
Hello Brantome

I have communicated with Wiim in vain, here you see, where Wiim stated that Deezer is
a solved problem:

Deezer and Wiim give trouble!

After a while, the bandwidth drops to 128kbps. You can not listen to the whole song after a while (skipping to the other song without completing the playing song). All playlists that you have can somehow disappear. Moreover, someone else's playlist is shown. Many more to say, anyway. I cannot suggest Wiim to someone with Deezer.

thebigbeat90

Question - I use a Topping D10s DAC that I would like to connect to the Wiim. The problem is the Topping only has a usb-c input, as it's coax is an output. So i would have to use the usb-c to connect the two. Will sound quality be as good with usb-c as with coax? I only see amir reviewing analogue and coax outputs, not usb-c

Top Bottom