• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ways to get more than 8 analog outputs without clock sync issues?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want the PC to have enough analog outputs that it can perform crossover and time-alignment duties between drivers. So, I need more than 8 outputs.
I don’t know jack, but for a project like this, I’d lean toward something like the following:

RME card
He said he needs more than 8 analogue outs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that’s why I referenced. It’s spec is for 32 channels
It can be configured to have up to 8 analogue output channels. The stereo main plus the phones out and 4 outputs on the optional 4 ch analogue output board.

Tom C

Major Contributor
It can be configured to have up to 8 analogue output channels. The stereo main plus the phones out and 4 outputs on the optional 4 ch analogue output board.
Yes. But it’ll put our digital in up to 32, all synced to one master clock.

MAB

Major Contributor
Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that this will be going into a car
How about this?
Or the Dirac version:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. But it’ll put our digital in up to 32, all synced to one master clock.
I don't understand why the poster will need up to 32 digital inputs when he said he needs more than 8 analogue outputs.

MAB

Major Contributor
Or, this from Alpine:
More expensive than the 12-channel MiniDSP I posted above, but 16-channels.

MAB

Major Contributor
And, lastly, I finally found the review done here at ASR by @Philipp Paul Klose
This is 12-channels of amplifier plus DSP, with Dirac, and seems pretty remarkable.

OP
J

josby

I don’t know jack, but for a project like this, I’d lean toward something like the following:

RME card

Thanks, but another limitation I failed to mention is that the PC will be a little 8"x8"x2" miniature one, so the solution needs to be external via USB.

OP
J

josby

How about this?
Or the Dirac version:

I had checked those out, but the problem is they aren't USB audio interfaces. The USB port on them is just for configuring the DSP. They only output sound that's come in via their 6 analog jacks or 2-channel SPDIF input. Their optical interface doesn't support ADAT.

OP
J

josby

Or, this from Alpine:
More expensive than the 12-channel MiniDSP I posted above, but 16-channels.
Same problem there - the Alpine doesn't function as a USB audio card and its digital input is only stereo.

OP
J

josby

And, lastly, I finally found the review done here at ASR by @Philipp Paul Klose
This is 12-channels of amplifier plus DSP, with Dirac, and seems pretty remarkable.
Yeah, that unit is definitely cool and does function as a USB sound card, but only a 6 channel one, so it can't do 7.1 playback.

I do plan to run Dirac on the PC, though.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Yeah, that unit is definitely cool and does function as a USB sound card, but only a 6 channel one, so it can't do 7.1 playback.

I do plan to run Dirac on the PC, though.
Got it. I see. Really good luck, keep us posted!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that this will be going into a car, ...
In that case your best bet should be specialized in-car processors. You get car-specific DSP and 'everything' else needed in a car.
Here's a list of latest and greatest: https://eisa.eu/awards/in-car-electronics/
The 12 channel flagships Brax and Helix look very impressive (on paper), the specified SINAD is way better than any of the home-theater processors tested around here. No idea about the prices but I would guess "not cheap"

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case your best bet should be specialized in-car processors. You get car-specific DSP and 'everything' else needed in a car.
Here's a list of latest and greatest: https://eisa.eu/awards/in-car-electronics/
The 12 channel flagships Brax and Helix look very impressive (on paper), the specified SINAD is way better than any of the home-theater processors tested around here. No idea about the prices but I would guess "not cheap"
The tech in car audio market is phenomenal. Indeed, why would the OP consider anything else than that Brax and Helix unit for the job?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom