• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO DAC Fully balanced

Geshelli

Audio Company
I rarely chime in on forums, but on this topic I will. Every single unit that goes out the door better be "golden". If something is not working as it should, we're not going to shrug it off. We take it personally. We don't pull one from a large lot for QC. Every unit gets touched and tested before we box it up. We sell clear cases, there is no mystery as to what's inside. It wouldn't make sense for us to send one into Amirm that measures beautifully and then everyone else gets a sub-standard product. As a matter of fact, we are also looking forward to the measurements. Amirm has testing equipment that we can only dream of owning. If our DAC measures on scale with other products in our price range, we'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, we'll take our licks and learn from it. We were recently informed that Amirm works with manufacturers in the demo stage to assist before production begins. We are definitely going to take advantage of this for our future products. I think it's a wonderful tool that Amirm has made available to companies such as ours. We are not active participants in the forums, we prefer emails and phone conversations. However, we do read discussions and the feedback from sites such as this one. We are always open for idea's on upgrades and additions/changes that people would like to see.

Tatteredmidnight

:( I don't like this. They might send you a 'golden sample'. It happened for the JDS Atom and I have had that small itch in my brain from then :(

Sorry if I misunderstood, but this is what I'm referring to "...They might send you a 'golden sample'. It happened for the JDS Atom..." It sounds very much like an accusation that JDS sent a golden sample. I agree with the issues with manufacturers cherry picking products for review, I just think we have to be careful about potential accusations without evidence. I'll chalk it up to a misunderstanding, I have no desire for an internet fight.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Sorry if I misunderstood, but this is what I'm referring to "...They might send you a 'golden sample'. It happened for the JDS Atom..." It sounds very much like an accusation that JDS sent a golden sample. I agree with the issues with manufacturers cherry picking products for review, I just think we have to be careful about potential accusations without evidence. I'll chalk it up to a misunderstanding, I have no desire for an internet fight.

Yeah, that initial post about the Atom came off weird, because I went through the thread and there wasn't necessarily anything to suggest that anyone got particularly worse units - Amir's measurements matched what JDS shared, and nobody's seemingly put forth anything to suggest that JDS is shipping out worse hardware.

It's all the same "reviewers can't be trusted because they occasionally get product samples for review" nonsense that quickly turns toxic. (I work in video games, I know that all too well)

Geshelli

Audio Company
I only replied to inform everyone that what was sent, is the same as what is sold. No fight intended or wanted :)

westyjeff

Showing off a little, ENOG2 Pro and Cayin HA300

Cayin 1.jpg
Cayin 2.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I rarely chime in on forums, but on this topic I will. Every single unit that goes out the door better be "golden". If something is not working as it should, we're not going to shrug it off. We take it personally. We don't pull one from a large lot for QC. Every unit gets touched and tested before we box it up. We sell clear cases, there is no mystery as to what's inside. It wouldn't make sense for us to send one into Amirm that measures beautifully and then everyone else gets a sub-standard product. As a matter of fact, we are also looking forward to the measurements. Amirm has testing equipment that we can only dream of owning. If our DAC measures on scale with other products in our price range, we'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, we'll take our licks and learn from it. We were recently informed that Amirm works with manufacturers in the demo stage to assist before production begins. We are definitely going to take advantage of this for our future products. I think it's a wonderful tool that Amirm has made available to companies such as ours. We are not active participants in the forums, we prefer emails and phone conversations. However, we do read discussions and the feedback from sites such as this one. We are always open for idea's on upgrades and additions/changes that people would like to see.
Now this is a first class way to approach the work we do, and audiophiles in general! :)

Jestercow

I'm incredibly excited for these tests, I've been sitting here with a couple carts full of goodies, just waiting for the Geshelli results!

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I'm incredibly excited for these tests, I've been sitting here with a couple carts full of goodies, just waiting for the Geshelli results!

If the review's good, this makes the Geshelli maybe the cheapest objective balanced DAC option - the SMSL SU-8 is $250 (excluding Massdrop availability, of course) and its remote plus USB input give it good reason to still exist, but it's great to have another affordable option, especially when the SU-8 has the different variations out there.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
I like the minimalist idea of this dac with its newfangled tech (the latest AKM chip), and I am someone who doesn't need to use USB so this is very interesting to me. Looking forward to the review.

KR8NUX

Yeah, that initial post about the Atom came off weird, because I went through the thread and there wasn't necessarily anything to suggest that anyone got particularly worse units - Amir's measurements matched what JDS shared, and nobody's seemingly put forth anything to suggest that JDS is shipping out worse hardware.

It's all the same "reviewers can't be trusted because they occasionally get product samples for review" nonsense that quickly turns toxic. (I work in video games, I know that all too well)
It's certainly caused confusion and if the wordings were unclear I apologise. I meant the Atom was sent to Amir directly from John, not that it was a confirmed golden sample. I have interacted with John enough to know he's committed to his products quality and reading Geshellis comment above makes me feel they also have the same quality ethics and customer centric approach.

Yes, I'm skeptical.The world of smartphones is one where this happens far too often.
I've met enough biased reviewers in YouTube meet ups, confronted them and watched them slink away. These are the guys who get paid for the review they give out and are they do not reveal their sponsorship, which I find to be downright unethical.
The other category comprises of reviewers who are ethical, but because they get cherry picked samples, they are themselves unaware whether their test results match what the common buyer gets. My wife works in marketing and in her company they have a special team who just hunts for ' influencers' to push their products and those guys go to any length to get this ' positive' review.

So, don't want to step on any more toes here, ASR is a place I come to, to escape the world of subjectivity. Numbers do not lie.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thing is glowing like a christmas tree :confused:
I guess spraying black paint on the inner side of the plates (as well as the edge around the led to avoid illuminating the plate) would solve the issue.

Eagerly waiting for measurements here! :)
Designing a very good measuring DAC without very good measurement tools is a doubtful task though...

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Designing a very good measuring DAC without very good measurement tools is a doubtful task though...

Yep intrigued how it'll do on the "bench". Fingers crossed for Geshelli ;)

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor

Even if there is something below expectations (which I honestly doubt), this attitude says to me that success is inevitable. A measured and open response like this points to ongoing collaborative improvements in engineering to meet any standard set by the community.

I am looking forward to the review!

derp1n

Those RGB LEDs are embarrassing...

OP
L

Legion1capone

This thing is glowing like a christmas tree :confused:
I guess spraying black paint on the inner side of the plates (as well as the edge around the led to avoid illuminating the plate) would solve the issue.

Eagerly waiting for measurements here! :)

No need to solve an issue of beauty

Top Bottom