• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 276 77.1%

• Total voters

Lukino

How about a new comprehensive review and video.Dave Extremis..... Sandu has ears like a bat...background quiet better than Topping D90se...Amir measured both units with analyzer. For which he deserves thanks. But subjectively, DAVE is quieter and much wider...;):facepalm:

dave1.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
In that case I'm probably to old to matter anymore :) I'm 36 this year and I'm streaming music through Qobuz and Tidal (roon).
I'm still buying CDs, DSD files (highresaudio still sells some, there is tons of classical and jazz in DSD). Or I purchase stuff that I really like through Bandcamp, qobuz store (sublime subscription).

And while I have Prime Video, Netflix, Apple TV, Disney and YouTube premium I'm still buying some movies and TV shows in the iTunes store.
I'm 32 and do none of that. I don't purchase any CDs I have never bought music or movies. To me that stuff has no actual value.
Most of the money goes to Fat Cat Executives and not to artists anyways. That's why I only purchase music directly from artists that are small that I have seen and I never open it anyways because I have no use for cds.
I have the title Master subscription which I just started a couple months ago and otherwise I have had Spotify Premium for the last Almost 9 years now.
Before that I only had music that I had acquired online. Some of my favorite artists from the trance and Progressive and house world release constant music for free anyways so I can download and accumulate that if I wish however I don't.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So, this is what happens when we let the 'MQA Thing' roll. Nothing productive.

This has been hashed out enough, and we don't need to cover it more either here or in a new thread.

Use search to see what's been said, then go somewhere else to argue about it.

No new MQA comments or threads please.

Cheers

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I get it. :) on that kind of "music" I wouldn't spend money as well or seek out better masters etc.

I get why Spotify and MQA is plenty for that .
Well I listen to plenty of classical and jazz as well. I just mostly listen to stuff without words so it doesn't distract me while I work. I've listened to almost all the classical from any half decent artist on Spotify already.. House and trance music is also good for focusing. Especially things like Goa Psytrance.

Progronom

Hi! If you select PRE-MODE -> Vol Fixed. After that, turn on the music playback. What will be displayed in the center of the display?

dartinbout

Rover

ADI2 already exists, no one needs an analog of ADI2.Even if repeated 100 times.:facepalm:

Haruko

Smsl have prouved they good ( very good) at dacs disign. But where is the point to increase something you can't hear? I hope they will come in the dsp market with the same quality. The adi 2 DAC deserve an opponent! Wouldn't be great?
tbf i think Behringer would get there sooner if they tried

Trell

Major Contributor
ADI2 already exists, no one needs an analog of ADI2.Even if repeated 100 times.:facepalm:

You mean there can be only one? :)

I guess some of the manufacturers of DACs like these will eventually incorporate some DSP functionality in their products, and frankly the lack of DSP is a major reason why I rate such devices as just Fine nowadays.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I think this unit would have been far more enticing if I got to spend an extra $250 on a DSP engine or an analog bass boost rather than a superfluous extra DAC chip, which I still maintain is a gimmick.

I use Roon, but not everybody does, and the ADI-2 does not offer MQA—so for a Tidal user like me (and plenty of others) there is certainly room for more DACs with DSP engines.

Wouldn’t you be more in favor of the next generation of DACs offering something other than a few extra decimals of SINAD? Maybe something new, innovative, and…audible?

Last edited:

Progronom

Hi! Is there a memorization of the last state? For example - the DAC is on, and playing. I turn off the 220 volt power outlet. An hour later, I turn on the 220 volt power again. What will happen to the DAC?
Will it self turn on, or not?

Trell

Major Contributor
Actually I think this unit would have been far more enticing if I got to spend an extra $250 on a DSP engine or an analog bass boost rather than a superfluous extra DAC chip, which I still maintain is a gimmick.

Clearly SMSL, Topping and Gustard have all long-since caught on to the rave reviews they’ve rightfully been getting on here for the last few years, and at this point I feel like they’re just cranking out device after device, each squeezing out an extra few decimals of SINAD—instead of offering something new, innovative, and…audible.

This device costs the same (I’m living in EU) as the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and the RME is for me by far the better deal and much more useful.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! Is there a memorization of the last state? For example - the DAC is on, and playing. I turn off the 220 volt power outlet. An hour later, I turn on the 220 volt power again. What will happen to the DAC?
Will it self turn on, or not?
Not to be snarky at all, but what is the reason for turning off the AC? I leave my Topping on all the time, especially since my streamer goes wonky (as does Roon) when I switch it off. When idling it consumes less power than a light bulb…

That being said I’ve owned Topping, SMSL and Gustard DACs and I’ve never known them to factory reset after a power cycle.

Rover

This device costs the same (I’m living in EU) as the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and the RME is for me by far the better deal and much more useful.
A lot of people refused to buy RME 2 only because of the inflated price, just because there are few people who need DSP functions.Here would be an RME at a normal price of $ 250 and without a DSP, that's fine.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom