• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 2.0 Launched Today - Adds Mobile Listening

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Tried it today with CarPlay. While you can't select it from the car screen, it plays and shows music/playlists when you select from the phone app.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Roon confirmed DSP is coming to ARC endpoints at some later date... looking forward to measuring my car's audio system in REW and doing some correction in it and having convolution filters playing through Roon ARC. LOL.
Wow. That will be a good one <3

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forwarding one TCP port is, honestly not that big a deal. Setup-wise, it's just as easy as turning on UPnP.

Security-wise, it's only as good as Roon's security. On that note, I'd point out that — in its default installation — Roon runs as root, which might be OK for an application running behind your home firewall, but not OK for an Internet-facing server. At a bare minimum, the daemon listening on the ARC port should run as an unprivileged user.

That said, it works surprisingly well...

Bernd

Forum Donor
Unfortunately Roon is like Windows: every new release cranks up the hardware requirements. If have an old laptop that is running my Roon Core 1.6 faultlessly. Ever since Roon 1.8 I would have to buy new hardware. Roon always announces these things after the release is - there is no warning whatsoever beforehand!! If you have automatic updates you've had it! Until now, at least the remote app on Android was working with my old core - and now that is not even working anymore and I have to find an older version somewhere on the net (or install Anydesk). If you do not like Windows you have Linux as an alternative - but do you ave an alternative to Roon ???

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unfortunately Roon is like Windows: every new release cranks up the hardware requirements. If have an old laptop that is running my Roon Core 1.6 faultlessly. Ever since Roon 1.8 I would have to buy new hardware. Roon always announces these things after the release is - there is no warning whatsoever beforehand!! If you have automatic updates you've had it! Until now, at least the remote app on Android was working with my old core - and now that is not even working anymore and I have to find an older version somewhere on the net (or install Anydesk). If you do not like Windows you have Linux as an alternative - but do you ave an alternative to Roon ???
I have both JRivers and Roon. I historically used JRivers but found myself fiddling and debugging with JRivers' complicated interface than listening to music. Once I took a peek at Roon with their 30 day trial run, I was hooked. Especially with the inclusion of Qobuz and Tidal libraries. Although I occasionally also have fiddling and debugging with Roon, it isn't on the same level as JRivers.

Geomancer1115

Roon ARC will only work if you have internet connection, otherwise if you leave your Roon Core disconnected from the Net the Roon ARC will not connect at all, not to mention that the sum of paying just for the apps working as an organizer is quite expensive for me, i ended up just using iTunes.

mediocrebutarrogant

How come ROON sounds better than tidal even when using pass through on native tidal vs ROON no dsp? The detail retrieval with ROON is making me cry tears of joy? RAAT is just absurd genius

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bkdc

Forum Donor
The biggest issue with Roon was the incompatibility of Roon ROCK with newer NUC’s. Hope that’s taken care of.

Martin0312

New to Roon and now Roon Arc. I set it up at home and can access it over my phone, however, I notice that we are playing everything in MP3 lossy format. While on my Quoboz app, I have the option of Hi-Res etc. Not sure why I would use RoonArc vs Quoboz, I guess people with rather compiled playlists. I don’t really have these huge playlists, I really just dial in an album and play what I want. This is why I also question Roon it self, I have a Trinnov Altitude 16 and it is Roon compatible and works well (up to 96khz currently) though, I wonder if the $13 Roon + 13 Quoboz is a better option than just buying a dedicated streamer which can stream for $13/month and hit the max resolution.

mrbungle

New to Roon and now Roon Arc. I set it up at home and can access it over my phone, however, I notice that we are playing everything in MP3 lossy format. While on my Quoboz app, I have the option of Hi-Res etc. Not sure why I would use RoonArc vs Quoboz, I guess people with rather compiled playlists. I don’t really have these huge playlists, I really just dial in an album and play what I want. This is why I also question Roon it self, I have a Trinnov Altitude 16 and it is Roon compatible and works well (up to 96khz currently) though, I wonder if the $13 Roon + 13 Quoboz is a better option than just buying a dedicated streamer which can stream for $13/month and hit the max resolution.
In the ARC settings you can set the format for both WiFi and cellular. It’s a feature to save bandwidth.

Martin0312

Ahh! Thank you for that. I thought picking best available didn’t have a sub menu. However, I still don’t see the “download” button. I have the “download on wifi only” button un-checked

mrbungle

Ahh! Thank you for that. I thought picking best available didn’t have a sub menu. However, I still don’t see the “download” button. I have the “download on wifi only” button un-checked
You can only download your own files, not yet (?) from Qobuz.

Martin0312

You can only download your own files, not yet (?) from Qobuz.
Not sure I follow you here. I can download from Quoboz directly on their app and use offline. Where I can not download anything at all is when using RoonARC (Quoboz subscription). What is the point of RoonARC if I can’t download for offline use? Maybe I’m missing something here.

dadregga

Not sure I follow you here. I can download from Quoboz directly on their app and use offline. Where I can not download anything at all is when using RoonARC (Quoboz subscription). What is the point of RoonARC if I can’t download for offline use? Maybe I’m missing something here.

Using the Qobuz app to download Qobuz files for offline listening and using the Roon app to download Qobuz files for offline listening are two very, very different things legally, and it likely requires Roon+Qobuz signing legal agreements.

It's not as simple as just implementing the feature.

Not saying it won't happen, just saying it's a very different problem than downloading your own files that Roon is serving up, and it makes perfect sense that it's not supported yet.

This is one of the many reasons I try to only use Qobuz as a suppliment to my own personal library of files - the only person that I have to ask for permission to do things with them is me :D

Martin0312

Using the Qobuz app to download Qobuz files for offline listening and using the Roon app to download Qobuz files for offline listening are two very, very different things legally, and it likely requires Roon+Qobuz signing legal agreements.

It's not as simple as just implementing the feature.

Not saying it won't happen, just saying it's a very different problem than downloading your own files that Roon is serving up, and it makes perfect sense that it's not supported yet.

This is one of the many reasons I try to only use Qobuz as a suppliment to my own personal library of files - the only person that I have to ask for permission to do things with them is me :D
That’s what I mean and I understand that point completely. However, why do they show it as an option or as a selling point? So how would I go about having Quoboz and RoonARC and being able to have offline access all while using one app I.e. RoonARC? Or else this doesn’t make much sense to have both. Thanks

dadregga

That’s what I mean and I understand that point completely. However, why do they show it as an option or as a selling point? So how would I go about having Quoboz and RoonARC and being able to have offline access all while using one app I.e. RoonARC? Or else this doesn’t make much sense to have both. Thanks
They advertise it because they do support offline file access *for some sources*. Qobuz is not one of the sources that is supported for offline access at this time. You will only be able to have offline access for Qobuz content thru the Qobuz app.

Martin0312

They advertise it because they do support offline file access *for some sources*. Qobuz is not one of the sources that is supported for offline access at this time. You will only be able to have offline access for Qobuz content thru the Qobuz app.
Like Tidal? Or

Top Bottom