• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

KomoGomolaa

Okay, so this SINAD in headphone out is for full scale "4.something" volts. But how about lower output? I will not be using max output for my Audeze LCD-X, nor Audix A150, that's for sure. What will the SINAD be then? Does the DX7 Pro+ automatically lower analog amplification and raise the digital DAC output level for best possible SINAD in every possible situation? This kind of keeps me from buying it. Please help me decide, thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Okay, so this SINAD in headphone out is for full scale "4.something" volts. But how about lower output? What will the SINAD be then?
Right here in Amir's review:
Topping DX3 Pro+ Stereo DAC Headphone Amplifier Power 300 Measurements.png Topping DX3 Pro+ Stereo DAC Headphone Amplifier Power 32 Measurements.png
SINAD = |THD+N|

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Okay, so this SINAD in headphone out is for full scale "4.something" volts. But how about lower output? I will not be using max output for my Audeze LCD-X, nor Audix A150, that's for sure. What will the SINAD be then? Does the DX7 Pro+ automatically lower analog amplification and raise the digital DAC output level for best possible SINAD in every possible situation? This kind of keeps me from buying it. Please help me decide, thanks.
I mean it's great but like the DX5 is basically just as good for less and you get MQA which you might care about if you use Tidal. The Ex5 is also similar and even cheaper....

Alou

I dont know if this has being asked but how much difference is form the older dx7 pro and if it is worth changing to this one.I am very happy with my DX7pro i have.
I dont know if the difference in sound is there but concering the looks of the new one,s sorry i dont like it !

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I dont know if this has being asked but how much difference is form the older dx7 pro and if it is worth changing to this one.I am very happy with my DX7pro i have.
I dont know if the difference in sound is there but concering the looks of the new one,s sorry i dont like it !
The new one has a better amp. Since the old one had high impedance headphone outputs... But if you have planar headphones then it typically doesn't matter.
The old dx7 pro has amazing performance already.

Alou

I barely use it as a phone amp this days ,i use it at home as preamp/dac to drive my hypex amp ,even so all my headphones are standard 1/4 jack studio headphones,
ranging from 80 ohm to 250ohm. I guess it is not worth to upgrade at this point is t ,if you dont us the headphone amp much.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I barely use it as a phone amp this days ,i use it at home as preamp/dac to drive my hypex amp ,even so all my headphones are standard 1/4 jack studio headphones,
ranging from 80 ohm to 250ohm. I guess it is not worth to upgrade at this point is t ,if you dont us the headphone amp much.
Well from 80-250ohm won't have issues with the 10ohm 1/4 output impedance (it would be say 40ohm and under) so it doesn't matter. Using it as a preamp or DAC also doesn't matter as the output impedance is only on the headphone side.

Alou

Thats what i though ,so i guess i hold on to my dx7 and avoid selling it at a drop price wright now ! Spend the money on a second hypex !

HappyMetalGuy

AngryMetalGuy came to the conclusion that MQA is inferior to FLAC not by analyzing the analog output of his MQA DAC, but by analyzing the digital files directly.
Wrong, I came to that conclusion before analysing the files. Just by earing from the 10 songs I've eared with a friend, mqa directly from Tidal compared to our own cd's was subjectively always harder to listen to. The only song as good as cd quality was not mqa. Only after I tried to justify the why we came to that perception

KomoGomolaa

Pulled the trigger and ordered one last Friday from my local HiFi distributor. Received it today. Initial impressions - very very clean and effortless sounding (both XLR outs to my active monitors and headphone outs). Plenty of juice to drive my Audix A150 and Audeze LCD-X v2021, on low gain. Will try HD800 later. I'm thinking of selling my ADI-2, as I'm using it without any additional perks it provides (EQ, DSP, etc.) - just overkill for me. Also packaging is luxurious, well done. WAF (wife acceptance factor) due to its rounded design is good. Hopefully my last DAC+HP amp combo for a very very long time :)

KomoGomolaa

Spent more time with it and there's plenty of juice for HD800 too, even in low gain. The extreme amount of detail this DAC provides while still being effortless and musical seems out of this world to me. I have never heard so much air and "smoothness" between instruments. Maybe the ultra-low (i.e. non-existent) distortion, noise and jitter figures are responsible for all of this?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not wanting to name and shame, but is copying these reviews on your website not copyright infringement? (There's no disclaimer there nor link;). https://www.hifistudio79.nl/topping-dx7-pro-review-dac-hp-amp/?lang=en

The store is close to me, but I refrain from buying at a place who just copies stuff.
How close is close?
I live about 800 meters from them... still order my stuff from somewhere else.

Their website is far from professional nor their location (residential) doesn't give me much confidence shopping there.

Alou

Spent more time with it and there's plenty of juice for HD800 too, even in low gain. The extreme amount of detail this DAC provides while still being effortless and musical seems out of this world to me. I have never heard so much air and "smoothness" between instruments. Maybe the ultra-low (i.e. non-existent) distortion, noise and jitter figures are responsible for all of this?
I wonder whow it will preform with 600 ohm headphones (Like my older DT 770 600 ) but I am sure it will be very capable.

gitaarwerk

How close is close?
I live about 800 meters from them... still order my stuff from somewhere else.

Their website is far from professional nor their location (residential) doesn't give me much confidence shopping there.
few kilometers;

But it's an online shop. It doesn't look too bad for a few manned company; but copying content just like that is lame. Not just images, but everything else as well.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
few kilometers;

But it's an online shop. It doesn't look too bad for a few manned company; but copying content just like that is lame. Not just images, but everything else as well.
I know it is a (semi) online shop. Still the overal presentation doesn't look very professional imho.
Everyone must decide from themselves ofc but for me that shop just doesn't give good vibes.

Top Bottom