• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help! Schiit Modi 2 not being recognized anymore by Windows?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys, first time poster here. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this on the forum so please tell me if I have posted it in the incorrect area of the forum but to be honest I'm at my wits end of this.

(my OS is Windows 10)

Basically my setup is a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 stack (along with a recently purchased Schiit Wyrd that did not help my problems) and for the last week or so my Modi is not showing up anymore in Windows. I have done as much research as I can and have seen many threads of this problem being reported but not that many solutions have been successful and just wanted to give it one last shot before considering other alternatives.

The Modi is not being recognized in Windows at all and does not appear in Device Manager either unless I enable "show hidden devices". Strangely enough my Blue Yeti microphone was still showing in the playback window but as of yesterday is not showing up either unless "show hidden devices" is enabled as well.

I think the new Windows 10 update may have caused this but even when I tried to uninstall the update, the Modi still would not be recognized. Now instead all I get is the message of "USB device is not recognized" (https://gyazo.com/58407ab51632d4856de2393cc64dad5f).

After a couple of days of the Modi not connecting at all I decided to purchase a Wyrd as I heard good things about it fixing USB problems etc. But it has done nothing even though everything is connected. I still get the same message as shown in the screenshot above. I also tried a powered USB hub but that has done nothing as well.

I have tried to see if it works on my brothers PC which also runs Windows 10, and the exact same message comes up. This leads me to believe its the Modi that is the problem, however the problem message on Windows still makes me wonder if its an issue of Windows being screwy.

I have tried so many other things that I'll probably forget to list: changing cables, USB ports, powered USB Hubs, updating drivers, uninstalling drivers, Updating motherboard etc. and nothing is working.

I'm sorry to link another thread from another forum however this post pretty much sums up very similar symptons and problems that I have and I've also pretty much tried all of the solutions in this thread as well. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-dac-not-detecting-even-through-powered-hub-modi-wyrd.766792/
Some differences in that thread is that my Modi has never been recognized since its gone off.

I have also tried installing the Windows 10 drivers for the Modi in "expert mode" however I am unable to install it because I keep getting the error "Please connect the CMEDIA USB 2.0 Audio Device" (https://gyazo.com/9551a106a87d924ec9b4ec1d4705964d)

Only solution I can think of is either:
1. Ordering a Modi 3 (out of stock as of now on EU store though) to see if that would fix it + it would be an upgrade which I wouldn't mind as I've had the Modi 2 since 2016
2. Ordering a different DAC instead such as Topping D30 or any suggestions you guys have
3. Reinstalling Windows (but as this is a hassle for me I would like to have that as a last resort)

Essentially just wanted some of your advice on this forum before I decided to get a new DAC and call it quits with this "Schiit". Thanks very much for reading, I may have missed important information since I'm writing this off the top of my head so please ask any questions if you guys require any more info!
Have you tried connecting to something not Windows?

OP
C

casdeo

I'm not sure if you've done so yet but I reached out to Schiit directly to try and solve the issue. Waiting to hear back and see what they suggest trying.

Bought the Modi 3 and it got recognised straight away, all good. No problems so far. Guess the problem was the Modi 2. Bit annoyed as it happened just as the warranty ended...

OP
C

casdeo

Have you tried connecting to something not Windows?

Unfortunately I don't have any access to anything but windows. Problem was fixed when Modi 2 was replaced by a Modi 3

Roen

I would've suggested trying something not AK since you've had an AK DAC in the Modi 2.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Seriously, you can make a bootable USB thumb with one of the Linux distributions, then try it on your W machine to see whether your Schiit rig is seen, if yes, you can then install the Linux distro with the dual boot configuration.

OP
C

casdeo

I would've suggested trying something not AK since you've had an AK DAC in the Modi 2.

To be honest it was more for aesthetic sake, as well as the Modi not being that expensive. If it happens again I will choose something else.

OP
C

casdeo

Seriously, you can make a bootable USB thumb with one of the Linux distributions, then try it on your W machine to see whether your Schiit rig is seen, if yes, you can then install the Linux distro with the dual boot configuration.

Thanks for the info! If the problem returns I'll try this for sure

manirelli

Bought the Modi 3 and it got recognised straight away, all good. No problems so far. Guess the problem was the Modi 2. Bit annoyed as it happened just as the warranty ended...
I just got done talking to support and they said it sounds like the unit needs to be repaired. I may just bite the bullet and join you grabbing a modi 3.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
What does the dac chip have to do with the issue?

Glad he found the problem.

stereo coffee

Audio Company
I just got done talking to support and they said it sounds like the unit needs to be repaired. I may just bite the bullet and join you grabbing a modi 3.

I would try jumping off the proprietary software relationship and instead download Linux Mint https://linuxmint.com
Pulse is the most common mixer and volume control, but will need a small additional download namely pauvcontrol
to select the normally available configuration tab. You can run and use Linux Mint just from the USB drive, but
installing it, is rather nice too. I hope that helps

bravomail

I had very nasty problems with WIndows 7 and USB drivers for audio. I had SMSL M6 for example with very wonky drivers. I found a perfectly good solution for all USB audio - get Windows 10, preferably April 2018 (that's what I have). Windows 10 has built-in USB audio driver class 1 and class 2. That covers all USB audio interfaces in existence today. Do not install any supplied USB drivers into Windows 10, that might actually screw you up. Another thing which I found with Windows and USB drivers - once you install the driver, it is really hard to get rid of it. If nothing helps - try fresh WIndows install.
For quick testing if it is hardware issue - try USB thumb drive bootable Linux distro, Linux supports USB audio w/o issues.

manirelli

Nothing, more for him to experience different DAC chips.
It isn't about experiencing new DACs so much as the cost to ship it back, get it repaired, ship it again out to me would likely be at least half the cost of just moving to the new Modi 3 and permanently resolving the issue with audio and power over USB.

Roen

It isn't about experiencing new DACs so much as the cost to ship it back, get it repaired, ship it again out to me would likely be at least half the cost of just moving to the new Modi 3 and potentially resolving the issue with audio and power over USB.

I meant for him to get a non-AK DAC, instead of getting the Modi 3.

vavvo966

The one and only solution i found after long researches on the internet is this, reported by ONLY ONE user on another forum:

heat the Modi 2 with a heater such as a hairdryer, it must be HOT.
Then plug it in your PC and voit-la.

I solved my issue after having my Modi 2 closed in the drawer for 6 months

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... voit-la ...

1st : we do not write voit-la like that but voilà instead ... ;););)
2nd : I have discovered that - applying some nice gold-plated Hi-Res Audio stickers on each of the six case sides, makes the Modi 2 to a much better mood, it then opens up itself to the Windows's world. NOTE : two stickers for side, although a bit more expensive, brings the Modi 2 to a further happier mood.

1546894204921.png

ebfarnum

The one and only solution i found after long researches on the internet is this, reported by ONLY ONE user on another forum:

heat the Modi 2 with a heater such as a hairdryer, it must be HOT.
Then plug it in your PC and voit-la.

This is hilarious.

I've been having this exact issue with my Modi 2 (Windows 10 not recognizing the DAC) and scoured the internet for hours on end with no solution. I've tried multiple USB cables, external USB hubs, installing a PCI-E usb hub, installing different drivers, messing with the Device Manager, power options....even finally reformatting my computer, and nothing worked except for 1 other method.

Microsoft seemed to have broken something with one of their Win 10 updates, as the Modi 2 worked perfectly for the past couple of years via my PC, and still works perfectly with my MacBook. The only method that got it working with my Windows machine was to connect the DAC to my Mac and play music loudly for at least an hour, then switch the USB cable quickly to the PC. This would sometimes cause Windows to recognize the DAC, though it only worked maybe half the time.

Just tried heating the DAC with a hairdryer and my PC immediately recognized it. Ridiculous.

Top Bottom