• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

audio interface with Jriver anybody?

SDC

This post is to ask if others are experiencing the same problem.
Thing is I can't lower buffer sample of ASIO.
Resulting in long latencies.

I was using Behringer UMC1820 for 10ch output until recently I changed to Focusrite Clarret+ 8pre also 10ch output.

Before, I thought it was poor hardware of Behringer causing the problem. But now Clarett+8 is worse than Behringer.
So I'm guessing it is not just interface but JRiver WDM being extremely heavy for all interfaces.

I'm planning to buy new interface one last time, Motu or Presonous, but I'm afraid if there is no improvement just wasting my money.

Anybody else using Jriver WDM and DSP? How is your sampling rate and buffer size working? Which interface do you use?

Any number of channel would help. Please feel free to say anything!

Last edited:
OP
SDC

SDC

More about my case

B177DCF6-3CA8-47CE-87FA-AD81CB6CD842.jpeg

I'm using Lenovo Thinkbook with Ryzen 6900hx in high performance mode.

67C629A4-B41D-4A23-80EF-2F4987A5BC5D.jpeg
192kHz with max sample. Sound just goes crazy.

7DC4C503-F95D-482E-9188-F1AEF8F4D58D.jpeg
48kHz max buffer almost 150ms delay and occasional cracking still remaining...

TheLastGerman

Had a Motu 8A with JRiver 27 WDM on a potato PC, set up as 3-way active crossover/convolver. That is quite a while ago and I don't remember any issues at any (re)sample rate. Things are different with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS when feeding TIDAL into JRiver, that gives 2s stuttering sound when starting tracks. Tried any possible combination of settings, but no cure ... Maybe you open a thread here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php

Reactions: SDC

Zoomer

See last post in this thread for an explanation of what to expect from WDM: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100310.0

There is always a short (few second) delay before audio playback starts with the WDM, but the driver discards a second or two of audio to"catch up" very quickly to the actual time at which things are playing. The WDM driver is not good for listening to short intermittent sounds, but if you're trying to monitor on an ongoing basis you shouldn't have 3 seconds of delay at all times.

I have similar issues with JRiver WDM and Steinberg UR824, and it's definitely not the interface in my case. Playback through Foobar directly vs Foobar into JRiver WDM when the "catch up" is very noticable.

OP
SDC

SDC

See last post in this thread for an explanation of what to expect from WDM: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100310.0

There is always a short (few second) delay before audio playback starts with the WDM, but the driver discards a second or two of audio to"catch up" very quickly to the actual time at which things are playing. The WDM driver is not good for listening to short intermittent sounds, but if you're trying to monitor on an ongoing basis you shouldn't have 3 seconds of delay at all times.

I have similar issues with JRiver WDM and Steinberg UR824, and it's definitely not the interface in my case. Playback through Foobar directly vs Foobar into JRiver WDM when the "catch up" is very noticable.

Catch up is not the problem for my case but

'with well-behaved devices you can get the latency down to 10 or 20 milliseconds. '

There is hope I guess

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'm using Lenovo Thinkbook with Ryzen 6900hx in high performance mode.
First of all I would update the BIOS so that the fTPM issue is hopefully taken care of. That is known to cause stuttering. Team Red have had more than their fair share of USB issues over the years, too. For a system like this, handling audio should normally be a breeze. (Did I mention that discrete GPUs with a penchant for hogging PCIe can be problematic as well? That was a major nuisance with nVidia drivers a few years back.)

OP
SDC

SDC

First of all I would update the BIOS so that the fTPM issue is hopefully taken care of. That is known to cause stuttering. Team Red have had more than their fair share of USB issues over the years, too. For a system like this, handling audio should normally be a breeze. (Did I mention that discrete GPUs with a penchant for hogging PCIe can be problematic as well? That was a major nuisance with nVidia drivers a few years back.)

I use latest BIOS if not fixed in it, well China...

for gpu issue I have no idea how to fix it. latencymon picks out nvidia driver the problem but I'm stuck from there...

even 16 samples works, just for few minutes than glitch for a minute then work few minutes...

Sooooo it is software blip and yes I suspect Nvidia but I need discrete graphic... I'm just regretting not buying Radeon set.
Asus would have been a better choice for that, well I didn't know Nvidia had problems back then and now I learned a lesson so just living with 100ms delay...

But yes 20ms delay was sweet...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
for gpu issue I have no idea how to fix it. latencymon picks out nvidia driver the problem but I'm stuck from there...
You should be able to pick between iGPU and discrete GPU per application. If it's always on iGPU, the nVidia driver should (theoretically) not be giving you any problems. Not sure what may be triggering the discrete GPU to be used, you'll have to find out. I've had HWMonitor keep the discrete GPU awake (thus driving up power consumption by several watts), so check anything like that, too.
even 16 samples works, just for few minutes than glitch for a minute then work few minutes...
And it goes along with DPC latency peaks pointing towards the nVidia driver?

I imagine that not having the system partition encrypted may help alleviate fTPM issues, check manage-bde -status for info. Turning off virualization features in BIOS (like VT-x, VT-d) if possible may also help.

Reactions: SDC
OP
SDC

SDC

You should be able to pick between iGPU and discrete GPU per application. If it's always on iGPU, the nVidia driver should (theoretically) not be giving you any problems. Not sure what may be triggering the discrete GPU to be used, you'll have to find out. I've had HWMonitor keep the discrete GPU awake (thus driving up power consumption by several watts), so check anything like that, too.

And it goes along with DPC latency peaks pointing towards the nVidia driver?

I imagine that not having the system partition encrypted may help alleviate fTPM issues, check manage-bde -status for info. Turning off virualization features in BIOS (like VT-x, VT-d) if possible may also help.

Didn't check if it goes together with Nvidia but will go check. It is not music only setup so virtualization is needed though.

Thank you for all the help! But I think I'll have to wait longer for real fixes by firmware or anything.

wayne_handzus

try asio drivers
also try disabling nvidia sound (only ound) under windows sound dialog ,. it is easy to do and easy to turn back on when eneded,.
select what ever your using as the default, but advise do not use windows wdm drivers for records only for playing back with windows media player or maybe watching a movie with a program that doesnst support asio,. most record software supports ASIO drivers,even with hundreds of track up in SONAR i dont have trouble iwth 8 milli seconds of latency ,. and have not been able to go less then 5 milli Seconds

Top Bottom