• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
according to mandy, supports dop properly now... but the firmware is no longer available... it was online for 1 day (i don't know why)
Because a customer told me that his computer couldn't sense the firmware when it was updated after plugging it in, we're trying to figure it out.
This firmware It can solve the problem of pop sound at the beginning of playing dsd and support dop, and the mac computer is available at the same time
Thanks

Toku

Major Contributor
Are those the original files posted yesterday on their official website? I don't understand why smsl remove the update files....
I never had clicks or pops and DSD works just fine. What is the firmware supposed to change exactly?

And how would I even install it?
With SMSL, some users complained that they couldn't update, and it seems that the update file was temporarily deleted from HP.
I received a separate update file from @SMSL-Mandy today, so I'm attaching it again.
But there is no difference from the file posted on HP. is the same file
SMSL seems to want forum members to check for updates.
The update procedure can be performed according to the procedure described in the .pdf file in the unzipped folder. (It's a little hard to explain, but...)

SMSL D300 Update Instructions_EN_.pdf
SMSL DAC USB Update Instructions(EN).pdf

The update tool to be used and the installation file specified on the screen are the following files in each decompression folder.

update tool
XMOSUSBDACDfu.exe
update file
SMSL_D300_dfu.bin

update tool
ispV2.4.exe
update file
IAP_D300_MM32_1v1.hex

Attachments

• SMSL D300_MCU_FW 221012.zip
    721.2 KB · Views: 223
  • SMSL D300_USB_FW 221012.zip
    392.4 KB · Views: 218

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I don't have a Windows pc. Will have to wait for the Mac version

Toku

Major Contributor
MM32F103xx_o.hex or MM32SPIN2xx_p.hex ???
Those files are files used by the installation tool "ispV2.4.exe".
Please read my post #202 for the update file to specify in the installation.

bougereau11

Before your update, does your dac was working properly? I'm new to this forum, I dis order twice the SMSL D300. The first unit used did not power up. The second unit was working fine except the DSD make a pop noise for every song even when put the song in pause. I did order for the third times this dac today and am looking to use this update to be able to use the dop mode with my streamer instead of native mode.

Toku

Major Contributor
After the MCU file is updated, the screen goes black
The screen of the D300 will remain off while the firmware is being updated, but it will automatically turn on when the update completion message appears on the PC screen.
If not, it is possible that something is wrong. You can even start over from the beginning.

pete_

USB update seems working fine. (A couple of DSF files tested.)
But I cannot install "click" update, the other one. Simply impossible to get "upgrade mode" before install. According to manual,

Press and hold the FN buttun, then turn on the power, and release the buttun after 5 seconds.
If you see the D300 starts normally, you need to repeat this operation (when entering the upgrade mode, D300 screen will not light up).

Well, I just have repeat this 100 times. Perhaps other button combination? I don't know.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
But I cannot install "click" update, the other one. Simply impossible to get "upgrade mode" before install. According to manual,

Press and hold the FN buttun, then turn on the power, and release the buttun after 5 seconds.
If you see the D300 starts normally, you need to repeat this operation (when entering the upgrade mode, D300 screen will not light up).

Well, I just have repeat this 100 times. Perhaps other button combination? I don't know.
Does this mean that if you turn on the power switch while pressing the FN button, the D300 will boot normally?
If so, try using the power button instead of the FN button.
Descriptions are often wrong in SMSL.

pete_

Does this mean that if you turn on the power switch while pressing the FN button, the D300 will boot normally?
If so, try using the power button instead of the FN button.
Descriptions are often wrong in SMSL.
I tried this. But it just turned off. (No connection with PC)

Toku

Major Contributor
I tried to rewrite the D300 MCU firmware update work in an easy-to-understand manner.

Prepare for update

Unzip the downloaded update file "SMSL D300_MCU_FW 221012".

”IAP_D300_MM32_1v1.hex” in the unzipped folder ”SMSL D300_MCU_FW 221012” is the configuration file to be specified in the update work.

Furthermore, unzip "ISP_PC_EN.zip" in the folder.
"ispV2.4.exe" in the unzipped folder is the update tool.

Start update

Turn off the power switch on the back of the D300 before starting the update process.
Remove the USB cable connecting the D300 and the PC.

Click "ispV2.4.exe" to launch the update tool.

Click "File" in the upper left corner of the screen, then click "Open".

On the screen to specify the installation file, specify "IAP_D300_MM32_1v1.hex" in the unzipped folder and click "Open" at the bottom right.
Wait 30 seconds for the update tool to prepare the files for deployment. At this time, there is no change on the PC screen.

After 30 seconds, connect D300 and PC with USB cable.
Hold down the FN button and turn on the power switch on the back of the D300. Release the FN button after 5 seconds.
At this time, the screen of D300 remains off and there is no change.
"Disconnect" is displayed at the bottom left of the PC screen.

If the D300 normal screen is displayed by this operation, redo the operation.

After 30 seconds have passed, click the "handshake icon" in the upper right corner of the PC screen.
Then "Disconnect" at the bottom left of the screen will change to "Connect".

Click “Start Program” displayed near the center left of the screen.

The firmware update process will begin and you will see flowing text on the right side of the screen indicating the processing steps.

When the update is finished, "Complete" is displayed and the screen of D300 lights up and it becomes normal operation.

This completes the update work.

Last edited:

bougereau11

I tried to rewrite the D300 MCU firmware update work in an easy-to-understand manner.

Prepare for update

Unzip the downloaded update file "SMSL D300_MCU_FW 221012".

”IAP_D300_MM32_1v1.hex” in the unzipped folder ”SMSL D300_MCU_FW 221012” is the configuration file to be specified in the update work.

Furthermore, unzip "ISP_PC_EN.zip" in the folder.
"ispV2.4.exe" in the unzipped folder is the update tool.

Start update

Turn off the power switch on the back of the D300 before starting the update process.
Remove the USB cable connecting the D300 and the PC.

Click "ispV2.4.exe" to launch the update tool.

Click "File" in the upper left corner of the screen, then click "Open".

On the screen to specify the installation file, specify "IAP_D300_MM32_1v1.hex" in the unzipped folder and click "Open" at the bottom right.
Wait 30 seconds for the update tool to prepare the files for deployment. At this time, there is no change on the PC screen.

After 30 seconds, connect D300 and PC with USB cable.
Hold down the FN button and turn on the power switch on the back of the D300. Release the FN button after 5 seconds.
At this time, the screen of D300 remains off and there is no change.
"Disconnect" is displayed at the bottom left of the PC screen.

If the D300 normal screen is displayed by this operation, redo the operation.

After 30 seconds have passed, click the "handshake icon" in the upper right corner of the PC screen.
Then "Disconnect" at the bottom left of the screen will change to "Connect".

Click “Start Program” displayed near the center left of the screen.

The firmware update process will begin and you will see flowing text on the right side of the screen indicating the processing steps.

When the update is finished, "Complete" is displayed and the screen of D300 lights up and it becomes normal operation.

This completes the update work.
I did install successfully the firmware update but still have the same problem with my streamer (SMSL DP3). Cannot use DSD DOP mode with the D300 and with native mode i still make a pop noise. Anyway any dac with native mode with my streamer give me also the pop noise. Some people here did try dsd files with computer after the firmware update?

bougereau11

I did install successfully the firmware update but still have the same problem with my streamer (SMSL DP3). Cannot use DSD DOP mode with the D300 and with native mode i still make a pop noise. Anyway any dac with native mode with my streamer give me also the pop noise. Some people here did try dsd files with computer after the firmware update?
Correction: I just realize i did not install the other firmware update precisely the usb firmware update. Since now, wow my D300 can play in DOP mode for dsd and of course no more pop noise with my dsd files (64-256). Dear Toku, Cheers for the support! :)

Freyja

i can't update same
Then it broke down and stopped working

Thank you google translation

Top Bottom