• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It begs the question...

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I used to read 6moons for entertainment value (particularily Marja and Henks review of esoteric gear) and to get an idea of the crazier aspects of high-end fi, but it looks like 'Positive Feedback' makes 6moons look like an engineering site.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, after buying such pretty speakers (and I mean the Nautilus) why would you clutter the view with a pile of ...
I'm not sure I would characterize the Nautilus as "pretty", but yeah, what a clutter fest. Those speakers are such an aesthetic statement they deserve to be seen without all that visual distraction.

syn08

As usual, I’m late at this shit show. All I can tell, RevOpod and Wadax, fuck you very much. Mods, feel free to remove this message.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention they're playing those $100k+ speakers in a glass box. One of the real tragedies of our hobby is you really can't have a beautiful panoramic, floor to ceiling 360 degree glass walled view of your favorite skyline, and listen to edge of the art home audio sound at the same time. Unless, of course, your headphone system can recreate the sound of those state of the art speakers playing in a great accoustic space...
No real audiophile wants to mix panoramic views with music. Everyone knows turning down or turning off lights seems to enhance your hearing. Making music better. ;)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I'm not sure I would characterize the Nautilus as "pretty", but yeah, what a clutter fest. Those speakers are such an aesthetic statement they deserve to be seen without all that visual distraction.

Haha, I considered a few descriptive words and gave up really so I'll totally concede "such an aesthetic statement" is a better description.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
So who buys this stuff?
If it's people with money to burn and ought to know better they get what they deserve. BUT...if it's people who don't have money to burn and don't know better, then this is criminal behavior, on the part of everyone involved from maker to seller to propagandists.

Freeway

I’m convinced Positive Feedback is a parody website stringing audio fools along till one day the curtain is pulled back and we see a holographic projection of James Randi giving the double thumbs up
Opera Snapshot_2022-10-16_192241_positive-feedback.com.png

Holmz

Major Contributor
Decadence and waste in an age of scarcity should be heavily ridiculed and frowned upon.

On the other hand humans did not reach the age of space travel by staying in ear of the horse and buggy.
And If I had a multimillion dollar penthouse, I doubt I would be covering the windows.

I am not going to advocate that we ridicule or frown upon the people that can afford that gear.
But I’ll also be happy that I can be satisfied with a lowly system.

radix

Major Contributor
So is there any science that supports (I guess pun intended) the use of isolation feet for solid state audio equipment to improve audible sound quality under typical home usage? I can't think of how a reasonably constructed piece of gear would improve at all from anything more than rubber feet (and that' just so the case doesn't cause vibration noises on a surface).

Holmz

Major Contributor
So is there any science that supports (I guess pun intended) the use of isolation feet for solid state audio equipment to improve audible sound quality under typical home usage? I can't think of how a reasonably constructed piece of gear would improve at all from anything more than rubber feet (and that' just so the case doesn't cause vibration noises on a surface).

One could probably slap “said piece of gear” on top of a speaker playing in another system…

And digitise the output of that component playing nothing, and see if there is the music in there at a low level.

One should be able to do that with say a phono cart near a speaker cable due to the magnetic field… but whether it one can do it with mechanical vibration seems like it would be “on a case by case” basis.

I am sure we could find some components that do it.
If it did, it think that it would likely be from capacitance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So who buys this stuff?
If it's people with money to burn and ought to know better they get what they deserve.

People with money to burn and even when they did it would bit matter because they have so much money they can never spend it in one lifetime.
These people already have a garage full of very expensive cars, a yacht, a few houses and their own personal Michelin star cook.

I am pretty sure they don't have to mind any expenditure. It is a great way to lower tax anyway.
And I am sure these sound systems all sound excellent anyway.
Win-win.... bragging rights, nice looks, impressive sound and manufacturers who dared to make this stuff as well as the retailer that sells it make a good living as well.

Me... I am totally happy with what I have and do not need to have it myself. It does look good and it sure sounds good as well.
Most likely when I was insanely rich I might have bought something like that as well.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
On the other hand humans did not reach the age of space travel by staying in ear of the horse and buggy.
And If I had a multimillion dollar penthouse, I doubt I would be covering the windows.

I am not going to advocate that we ridicule or frown upon the people that can afford that gear.
But I’ll also be happy that I can be satisfied with a lowly system.
There is a clear difference between conspicuos expense and resource management.

I'm not against nice looking gear, I'm against wasted resources to create bling without the performance.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not against nice looking gear, I'm against wasted resources to create bling without the performance.
Correct. At least being able to make an informed decision about it and not being misled by false claims.

Holmz

Major Contributor

Yeah - but artisans and manufacturing craftsmen/women may take pride in the bling.
I am generally against telling others what they should do if they are not hurting anyone.

If they ask if what they are doing is smart, or makes sense, then the truth becomes fair game.

Compared to the fuses, where the advocates say, “what does it hurt?”… some of this stuff actually looks OK, even if it is a waste.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Never heared about that Wadax thing, but when i saw the picture, it was dripping in snake oil and rich people's bling bling. And it's definitly ugly:

61116842_1184192128450389_3945256769403486208_n.jpg
Even if it's only for the looks, i prefer a lot else above this ugly piece of shiny metal. And why has it to be so big if brands like topping can make a toplevel dac the size of a cigarbox...

radix

Major Contributor
And why has it to be so big if brands like topping can make a toplevel dac the size of a cigarbox...

Because some people want big, mean, badass looking gear. I've had several audiophile sales people say they cannot sell small stuff. It's not a functional thing, it's a form thing. It's an audio muscle car.

egellings

Major Contributor
Never heared about that Wadax thing, but when i saw the picture, it was dripping in snake oil and rich people's bling bling. And it's definitly ugly:

61116842_1184192128450389_3945256769403486208_n.jpg
Even if it's only for the looks, i prefer a lot else above this ugly piece of shiny metal. And why has it to be so big if brands like topping can make a toplevel dac the size of a cigarbox...
Looks a lot like a boom box.

Top Bottom