• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Diablo utopia vs kef r3 vs kef reference 1?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

YSC

Major Contributor
I dont ship outside my country so my muso 2 was sold here locally. At the cheapest possible price in the world.
may I ask where you live in?

i am more confused than ever.
in the end i will probably go wireless again.... saves tons of space..
and easier to tune...
its already tuned.
from what I read so far, it seems you are on a chase on the higher end stuffs, but TBH, when using in a desk setting, a lot of reflection problems can occur making it sound bad comparing to, say, the car audio system. if you could get into DSP, try a 150hz -6db filter to see if that helps clearing up the sound, I would definitely say if room treatment isn't possible, the better bet will be to use either EQ or at least get actives with a desktop mode option, In my experience the muddiness or so usually comes directly from those bad room modes and reflections, which you need to sort out, rather than a completely new speaker

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
No, they won't be "tuned": it's just that the setup path to a successful system is a bit different. The reason for me mentioning the Focal near field speakers is that if you do decide to move to Focals, you will be better off with those speakers than the home models which aren't designed for what you are trying to do.

Don't be "confused" for now. You just need to absolutely concentrate on learning to set up the M33 and R3 for best results in your situation.

To pick up on something else I saw you write, as well, you need to have the speakers further away from you than they are, and you need to aim as a starting point to have each speaker the same distance from you, as best you can, and slightly forwards of the very back corners of the desk for preference.

It seems they need to be raised off the desk a bit and ideally tilted so the tweeters are pointing to your ear height where you are: experiment with toe-in. From what I've read elsewhere now you are best with the stands recommended in your other thread, but even a couple of thick paperback books under them will help to start with (smaller than the base of the speaker, but make sure they are large enough to be stable). Pretty much any speaker not specially designed to sit on a desk will need a stand, and those that are designed to sit on a desk require a sturdy desk to work.

Have you read the other threads about R3 speaker setup here yet? I'm not going looking for them for you. There's a search option here.

Until you understand how to make what you have not sound terrible (even if it is still not what you want), you won't make anything else sound really good.
Yes, yes, yes. These threads are making my head hurt so much. But it's like driving by a car accident, I can't keep from looking again. If it were really this hard to get good sound I was happy with, I certainly would have given up long ago.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
may I ask where you live in?

from what I read so far, it seems you are on a chase on the higher end stuffs, but TBH, when using in a desk setting, a lot of reflection problems can occur making it sound bad comparing to, say, the car audio system. if you could get into DSP, try a 150hz -6db filter to see if that helps clearing up the sound, I would definitely say if room treatment isn't possible, the better bet will be to use either EQ or at least get actives with a desktop mode option, In my experience the muddiness or so usually comes directly from those bad room modes and reflections, which you need to sort out, rather than a completely new speaker
He's in Bulgaria.
For EQ he will have Dirac in the M33 - we have people here who know the product (and even the same pairing in one case) and may provide help if the right questions are asked.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He's in Bulgaria.
For EQ he will have Dirac in the M33 - we have people here who know the product (and even the same pairing in one case) and may provide help if the right questions are asked.
Does the M33 come with the measurement mic?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Does the M33 come with the measurement mic?
Yes. Looking at the M33 review thread here, there is an issue where you actually have to use the included mic to get good results as well

YSC

Major Contributor
Yes. Looking at the M33 review thread here, there is an issue where you actually have to use the included mic to get good results as well
if so I would suggest him to just use the R3, setup the mic in main listening position and run DIRAC and see if it improves drastically

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

i have new player in the town
Bowers and wilkinsons
they are extremely popular in my country and in Europe,
main stream brand, high end
what series i should look 800 or 700 or something else are they much better than kef r3?

few days old

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i have new player in the town
Bowers and wilkinsons
they are extremely popular in my country and in Europe,
main stream brand, high end
what series i should look 800 or 700 or something else are they much better than kef r3?

few days old
B&W speakers aren't generally well-regarded here. None of them have been reviewed particularly well. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-wilkins-805s-bookshelf-speaker-review.16523/

Bren Derlin

I have a pair of BW MM1 desktop speakers I love.

I hated their headphones - too hollow. Their bookshelf speakers felt to bright and a bit hollow for me as well. Can’t remember which ones I listened to, but they certainly weren’t $2,000/pair. Coulda been the 606, 706 or 707. They kinda all look the same.

If you like Focal, I would suggest the Aria 906, or if you want spend bigger monies, the Kanta No. 1.

You can really spin your wheels in circles thinking about too many speakers. You end up with analysis paralysis.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I have a pair of BW MM1 desktop speakers I love.

I hated their headphones - too hollow. Their bookshelf speakers felt to bright and a bit hollow for me as well. Can’t remember which ones I listened to, but they certainly weren’t $2,000/pair. Coulda been the 606, 706 or 707. They kinda all look the same.

If you like Focal, I would suggest the Aria 906, or if you want spend bigger monies, the Kanta No. 1.

You can really spin your wheels in circles thinking about too many speakers. You end up with analysis paralysis.
i have considered these bw mm1 speakers many times, are they better than kef r3?
i am currently in analysis paralysis,

i know bowers and wilkinsons have high end lines like 800 and 700 series i am talking about recent/decent models only they are widely available in my country.
More often than kef and focal.

outfaced

I auditioned a pair of reference 1 meta last week ... was in the shop to listen to sonus faber sonetto 5 and the same day i also listened to genelec 4351B. The KEFs was in the shop and because i also owned R3 just wanted to hear them.
Man ... the KEFs are shit. R3s are not a bad choice because of the price, but the reference 1 and especially with this price was sooo bad after the other two, that i turned them off after 2-3 songs - zero enjoyment. Really disappointed. The sound was just so harsh and lack of body and depth. For the record - the sonus fabers and the KEFs was driven with HEGEL H590 amp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I auditioned a pair of reference 1 meta last week ... was in the shop to listen to sonus faber sonetto 5 and the same day i also listened to genelec 4351B. The KEFs was in the shop and because i also owned R3 just wanted to hear them.
Man ... the KEFs are shit. R3s are not a bad choice because of the price, but the reference 1 and especially with this price was sooo bad after the other two, that i turned them off after 2-3 songs - zero enjoyment. Really disappointed. The sound was just so harsh and lack of body and depth. For the record - the sonus fabers and the KEFs was driven with HEGEL H590 amp.
I can only find one frequency response measurement from the Sonus, and it spans 400 dB :facepalm:! I guess that’s what’s needed to make it look flat:

1665941698000.jpeg

Looks like it’s something like 6 to 7 dB down at 20 kHz. That’s quite a bit. No wonder you though the KEF is bright. Also, you compare a big tower to a standmount speaker. The big boy will dig down quite a bit deeper.

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Predictable thread.
New user comes on, states he doesn't like the way his KEF R3 sounds.
This violates forum group think (that Kef R3 should sound exceptionally good to everyone because it follows the "rules" around response curve and directivity).
Predictably, new user is attacked, and told that his speaker set up is all wrong, his amp is wrong, etc, everything except for the possibility that the correlation between speaker measurements and subjective preferences is far from perfect.
New user doesn't get the assistance he originally asked for.
New user deletes his account.

C'mon people!

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Predictable thread.
This violates forum group think (that Kef R3 should sound exceptionally good to everyone because it follows the "rules" around response curve and directivity).
Predictably, new user is attacked, and told that his speaker set up is all wrong, his amp is wrong, etc, everything except for the possibility that the correlation between speaker measurements and subjective preferences is far from perfect.

C'mon people!
Try reading any of OP's other threads on the exact same issue. Many of us bent over backwards to help him out.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Predictable thread.

C'mon people!
Look here for starters before jumping to conclusions too quickly. And there are much more threads than the few links I listed. Lost track and interest after a while.
Afik it ended with him being banned for two weeks. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your bias about ASR behavior.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...p-after-kef-r3-bookshelves.37765/post-1328660

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Predictable thread.

C'mon people!
I think you have pretty much all of that wrong.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look here for starters before jumping to conclusions too quickly. And there are much more threads than the few links I listed. Lost track and interest after a while.
Afik it ended with him being banned for two weeks. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your bias about ASR behavior.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-make-music-in-my-small-basement-same-as-mark-levinson-in-my-car-and-whats-the-next-upgrade-step-after-kef-r3-bookshelves.3776
I think you have pretty much all of that wrong.

5/post-1328660
Maybe. But consider this:
The new guy wrote: "hi everyone, i wonder how i can make my music sound like lexus gs mark levinson which have 17 speakers in the car....I want to achieve same or better stage at home"
And someone here responded: "Go to your classic car to listen to music."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom