• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It begs the question...

fatoldgit

On that paragon of objective thought, Positive Feedback, they had a recent review of some component footers. Towards the start of the review, the reviewer states:

Enter the RevOpod Damping Foot, a new equipment support product that came to my attention while reading a review by Robert Harley in TAS (Issue 312) of the Wadax Reference DAC. What impressed me was how Robert described the effectiveness of the RevOpods for improving the performance of this state-of-the-art $145,000 (Wadax Reference DAC) component,

So what that other paragon of objective thought, Robert Harley, is saying is that the developers of a "state of the art" DAC that costs $145k did such a bad job that it required a 3rd party tweak to lift even more veils? Surely a DAC the size of an Sherman Tank should be immune to any type of external interference, be it electrical or mechanical. And it also shows how Mr. Harley's megabuck equipment stand is also not up to task.

Of course the Positive Feedback reviewer raved about the footers, to quote:

The RevOpod Damping Footers appeared to empower the supported equipment to reach a welcomed level of unrestrained performance and gave it freedom to spring to life in a delightfully spirited manner. Essential subtleties and germane minutiae were liberated and emerged free flowing, refreshing and engaging.

The gift of the gab is strong in this one.

The footers are of course a bargain at $1400 for a set of four but of course you will need a set for each component so thats probably a minimum of $8k for our well heeled audiophile subjectivists.

Peter

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to rationalize it a bit, not quite 1% of the cost of the $145K Wadax DAC. :facepalm:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Essential subtleties and germane minutiae were liberated and emerged free flowing, refreshing and engaging.
I wonder how long it took this person to come up with this inane garbage?

What, I wonder, was liberated... something emerged that was refreshing? Right... I'm off to find some essential subtleties, but I'll pass on the germane minutiae.

JSmith

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I’m convinced Positive Feedback is a parody website stringing audio fools along till one day the curtain is pulled back and we see a holographic projection of James Randi giving the double thumbs up

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m convinced Positive Feedback is a parody website stringing audio fools along till one day the curtain is pulled back and we see a holographic projection of James Randi giving the double thumbs up
Way back a long time ago, I subscribed to the print version of positive feedback. A forum for the audio arts it says. Certainly the name is honest. They give every idea positive feedback.

Beave

Major Contributor
Way back a long time ago, I subscribed to the print version of positive feedback. A forum for the audio arts it says. Certainly the name is honest. They give every idea positive feedback.

Not only does every change make an audible difference, but also every change one can make makes an audible improvement. It's amazing, really.

OP
F

fatoldgit

To give them credit, their website is Positive Feedback and thats what they give, 100% of the time so we cant claim that they are misleading us.

And I do love reading these types of sites but my favorite site is Mono and Stereo, not for the reviews but for the photo's of various customer installations where megabuck systems are more often than not installed in untreated glass, hardwood and/or marble temples and often asymmetrically positioned. And not only that but typically these systems need a minimum of 12 components to make sound.

1665885570436.png

1665886302502.png

raidho_td_3.8_speakers_td3.8_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2021_2022_2023_%20%20-%202.jpg

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
^That post reminds me, I've seen several ads over the years for pricey speakers where the seller says something like "I just couldn't get good synergy with these speakers and my amp." And then they post a couple of pics of the speakers they're selling, and they're tucked in corners behind a giant piece of furniture, or they're on a marble floor with a big glass table right between them and the listening position. Or one is up against a side wall while the other is way out in the open. Just no thought at all about placement or room acoustics, but lots of talk of gear, cables, synergy, etc.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly not a parody, and James Randi is dead. Irrationality is endemic in our world. Things like Positive Feedback, SBAF, TAS and others are but manifestations of what happens when large bank accounts, love of "high status" audio gadgetry, and blind ignorance and irrationality engage in a menange a trois.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly not a parody, and James Randi is dead. Irrationality is endemic in our world. Things like Positive Feedback, SBAF, TAS and others are but manifestations of what happens when large bank accounts, love of audio gadgetry, and blind ignorance and irrationality engage in a menange a trois.
Especially mixed in with other societal lapses...

deadwood83

On that paragon of objective thought, Positive Feedback, they had a recent review of some component footers. Towards the start of the review, the reviewer states:

Enter the RevOpod Damping Foot, a new equipment support product that came to my attention while reading a review by Robert Harley in TAS (Issue 312) of the Wadax Reference DAC. What impressed me was how Robert described the effectiveness of the RevOpods for improving the performance of this state-of-the-art $145,000 (Wadax Reference DAC) component,

So what that other paragon of objective thought, Robert Harley, is saying is that the developers of a "state of the art" DAC that costs $145k did such a bad job that it required a 3rd party tweak to lift even more veils? Surely a DAC the size of an Sherman Tank should be immune to any type of external interference, be it electrical or mechanical. And it also shows how Mr. Harley's megabuck equipment stand is also not up to task.

Of course the Positive Feedback reviewer raved about the footers, to quote:

The RevOpod Damping Footers appeared to empower the supported equipment to reach a welcomed level of unrestrained performance and gave it freedom to spring to life in a delightfully spirited manner. Essential subtleties and germane minutiae were liberated and emerged free flowing, refreshing and engaging.

The gift of the gab is strong in this one.

The footers are of course a bargain at $1400 for a set of four but of course you will need a set for each component so thats probably a minimum of $8k for our well heeled audiophile subjectivists.

Peter

Maybe they retrofitted a sherman tank with gas spring multi-link suspension. Torsion bars are pretty old tech (as is a sherman).

OP
F

fatoldgit

^That post reminds me, I've seen several ads over the years for pricey speakers where the seller says something like "I just couldn't get good synergy with these speakers and my amp." And then they post a couple of pics of the speakers they're selling, and they're tucked in corners behind a giant piece of furniture, or they're on a marble floor with a big glass table right between them and the listening position. Or one is up against a side wall while the other is way out in the open. Just no thought at all about placement or room acoustics, but lots of talk of gear, cables, synergy, etc.

So this reeks of "trophy wife" syndrome in the sense its not about the sound but the appearance. If they really were dedicated to the best sound then they would (depending on where they lived):

- buy the apartment next door as the dedicated music room (now that really would impress their friends)
- renovate the current apartment in some way to create a dedicated music room
- if not an apartment dweller then build an "out house" as a dedicated music room
- renovate the current house in some way to create a dedicated music room

Everyone loves a car analogy so its like living on a desert island with no roads/poor roads and owning a Bugatti Veyron - all it (and the above systems) become are pieces of industrial art and their true purpose can never be realized.

Peter

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, after buying such pretty speakers (and I mean the Nautilus) why would you clutter the view with a pile of ...
Hmmm personally I find those speakers a bit on the freaky side, but if they work I don't have to look at them either. Some may find the aesthetics of silly stacks of boxes as "pretty"?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention they're playing those $100k+ speakers in a glass box. One of the real tragedies of our hobby is you really can't have a beautiful panoramic, floor to ceiling 360 degree glass walled view of your favorite skyline, and listen to edge of the art home audio sound at the same time. Unless, of course, your headphone system can recreate the sound of those state of the art speakers playing in a great accoustic space...

Top Bottom