• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recording Latency - MacOS - PreSonus Studio One. MiniDSP, GLM??

eyedrop

Hello audio nerds! I've been using my M1 Mac Mini with BlackHole + HostingAU + AUNBandEQ to apply my REW correction curve to the entire system output, essentially highjacking the default sound output with a "virtual" audio device.

My ADC/DAC is a Motu M4 feeding an SVS PB1000 Pro sub with 85Hz low pass filter, which feeds my Genelec 8030C, and I use it for music playback. I've always had problems with random clicks and pops every few minutes whenever I'm listening to music... Ive tried messing with the HostingAU buffer sizes but it does not seem to help. Was lusting after the MiniDSP for awhile.

However, I've been playing around with recording guitars and vocals for the past month or two, and Im finding that using the virtual audio device + software parametric EQ adds a bunch of latency to the system output, making tracking guitar riffs impossible without using "direct" monitoring mode on the interface.. Basically, I am required to use the M4 system output if I want low latency. But then my correction curve is no longer active, making the file exports sound different than what I heard on the monitors in Studio One.

Does anyone know of a way to apply my correction curve via Studio One itself? When I open its mixing console, I can apply "Inserts" and "Post FX" EQs, but these end up in the mixdowns / exports which is not the intention.

Ive been looking into hardware solutions such as the miniDSP Flex. But apparently, it adds something like 13ms of latency when using Dirac? Not sure thats a Dirac limitation or if the MiniDSP itself adds the latency? Please let me know if using old fashioned parametric EQ with miniDSP adds any end to end input latency!? Would like to know.

I know buying a SAM system with GLM will send the correction straight to the subwoofer and monitors, which would result in zero latency.. However, Genelec subs are very expensive, the 8320A is on par with 8030c but more expensive, and the M4 has a better SINAD and dynamic range than practically any reasonably priced interface on the charts. Not to mention a very low latency that Im totally happy with for the $240 I spent.

The only other thing I can think of is one of those expensive RME interface's, where you can send the correction curve to the interface.. I imagine this would be low latency?

Buying these would be a bitter purchase because I told myself I was done buying gear, and I see nothing wrong with the performance of my 8030c + SVS sub + Motu M4 aside from this silly latency issue. Would love to avoid spending thousands to fix it.

Not sure where to go from here. Sorry for my rambling and lack of experience here but really need some opinions / advise.

Thank You!

Matthias McCready

In Studio One you can add an Aux/Bus after your master, and set that for your hardware output (I forget what this is called in the manual). You can insert plugins (such as Sonarworks or something else) in this space; it will hit your monitors, but not your mix. I presume this is what you are looking for? :)

I have it setup on my DAW, I will try to grab a screenshot tomorrow if I have time; it wasn't too hard to setup/figure out, once I knew it existed though.

OP
eyedrop

eyedrop

In Studio One you can add an Aux/Bus after your master, and set that for your hardware output (I forget what this is called in the manual). You can insert plugins (such as Sonarworks or something else) in this space; it will hit your monitors, but not your mix. I presume this is what you are looking for? :)

I have it setup on my DAW, I will try to grab a screenshot tomorrow if I have time; it wasn't too hard to setup/figure out, once I knew it existed though.

Awesome info, I think I finally got it figured out!

In Studio One, go to Console then right click into open space, add Aux channel. Next, Right Click that Aux channel and enable "Listen Bus". This automatically creates a new Audio Output device called "Listen Bus". It also automatically added the bus cannel strip to the right side of the "Main" channel. I am able to add my correction curve to this channels insert, without it affecting the song's mixdown! Picture attached for anyone who needs to see how it looks..

Thank you so much for this, I am in heaven and I didn't have to spend thousands! LOL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 21.52.47.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 21.52.47.png
    687 KB · Views: 59

Matthias McCready

Awesome info, I think I finally got it figured out!

In Studio One, go to Console then right click into open space, add Aux channel. Next, Right Click that Aux channel and enable "Listen Bus". This automatically creates a new Audio Output device called "Listen Bus". It also automatically added the bus cannel strip to the right side of the "Main" channel. I am able to add my correction curve to this channels insert, without it affecting the song's mixdown! Picture attached for anyone who needs to see how it looks..

Thank you so much for this, I am in heaven and I didn't have to spend thousands! LOL
You are welcome!

Are you still have issues with "popping" with this setup?

OP
eyedrop

eyedrop

You are welcome!

Are you still have issues with "popping" with this setup?
Never had "popping" issues within Studio One using M4 / Listen Bus as the output., but always have the popping problems with my BlackHole / HostingAU setup (for general system playback)... I'll be playing a song within Foobar or VLC with "BlackHole" set to system output (for the EQ) but unfortunately hear slight popping / skipping sound every couple minutes. Better than not having room correction applied but still annoying and can spoil the moment when trying to enjoy a track... I Tried turning HostingAU buffer size down to 32 but no noticeable change. Was thinking about switching from BlackHole to Sunflower to see if that resolves the issue

Top Bottom