• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is an equivalent product to HiFi snake oil?

Robin L

Master Contributor

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I work for an ad agency with a cannabis account. We are very careful about making claims by strain. In fact, we have been asked by our client to be thoughtful and not lean into pot culture. It is a bit of the Wild West out there right now when marketing something like this, but at the end it will not be unlike marketing wine, beer or spirits. Sure you can show a nerd on his couch with a hot chick chillen on tv to subtly make a claim that is indica will relax you, but nothing overt. And btw, we don’t order Taco Bell in every day either. It’s a serious account with our smartest people working on it. The clients also are not Cheech and Chong and have more than a couple Ivy League MBAs.

ADU

Major Contributor
Yeah, crystals, astrology, etc.

Horoscopes? Tarot cards? Fortunetellers? The Farmer's Almanac? Nostradamus? Ouija boards? Movies about elves, dragons, hobbits, and unicorns? Hypnotism? Stonehenge?

The power of suggestion can be a mighty strange thing.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Horoscopes? Tarot cards? Fortunetellers? The Farmer's Almanac? Nostradmus? Ouija boards? Movies about elves, dragons, hobbits, and unicorns?

Haha, I never schedule meetings or buy electronics when Mercury is retrograde. ;)

The thing about weed marketing being snake oil is actually quite apt. They say X strain produces focus and energy and whatever, Y strain makes you sleepy and calm, etc. This is about as true as cables making an audible difference - only in extreme cases. For the most part weed is weed when they actually test it.

Wow this thread is discursive. For sure I remember (if that's the right word) some White Widow being crystalline, cold and hallucinogenically trippy whereas some OG Afghan was heavy, warm and sleepy. Absolutely scientific. And purely hypothetical. :cool:

Edit: there may be some science in the THC/CBD quantity and ratio.

Reactions: ADU

Adi777

Health fad foods is BS? Okay, there's probably a lot of bullshit on this subject, but also a lot of objectivity.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I work for an ad agency with a cannabis account. We are very careful about making claims by strain. In fact, we have been asked by our client to be thoughtful and not lean into pot culture. It is a bit of the Wild West out there right now when marketing something like this, but at the end it will not be unlike marketing wine, beer or spirits. Sure you can show a nerd on his couch with a hot chick chillen on tv to subtly make a claim that is indica will relax you, but nothing overt. And btw, we don’t order Taco Bell in every day either. It’s a serious account with our smartest people working on it. The clients also are not Cheech and Chong and have more than a couple Ivy League MBAs.
Money Trump’s morality once again.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Frozen pizzas can approach edibile if you bake it a few minutes short and finish it with broiling

Even just thawing them before eating can make a difference.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha, I never schedule meetings or buy electronics when Mercury is retrograde. ;)

Wow this thread is discursive. For sure I remember (if that's the right word) some White Widow being crystalline, cold and hallucinogenically trippy whereas some OG Afghan was heavy, warm and sleepy. Absolutely scientific. And purely hypothetical. :cool:

Edit: there may be some science in the THC/CBD quantity and ratio.
Not a lot of dependable research, I guess.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

bkatbamna

If they use their product, they soon will be.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's going to end up like spirits. From where I sit, habitual marijuana can be pretty harmful to thriving, but nowhere near as bad as alcohol.

But, back on topic, the differences between fancy vodkas seem pretty evasive, although I certainly haven't bothered to try them side by side, or exhaustively. I'm more of a wine-with-food drinker - and I really enjoy finding relatively inexpensive but great wines. A $20 Rioja can be as joyful an experience as many more expensive wines.

I'm a fairly inexperienced and light pot user, but I've said elsewhere on this forum, if you are looking for a tweak that will give you one of those rapturous deep-in-the-music experiences with your current setup, a light dose of cannabinoids (of most any variety) will do the trick.

Adi777

but I've said elsewhere on this forum, if you are looking for a tweak that will give you one of those rapturous deep-in-the-music experiences with your current setup, a light dose of cannabinoids (of most any variety) will do the trick.
What for? Just the music, without any shit.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What for? Just the music, without any shit.
Horses for courses. I mostly listen clean myself, but the altered experience is...immersing. And does remind me of the way a lot of subjective reviewers describe the new $100k component they just put in their system.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the best advice I could give to someone who is down on modern art, btw, is to go and see/experience some of it in person. Because, in much the same way that you cannot fully experience good audio without the room, you also cannot really fully appreciate a sculpture, or installation, or painting unless you can experience it on site, or in situ. Looking at photos someone else posted on the web is just no substitute for actually being there, and experiencing it for yourself.
As someone who did visual art as a young person, I was beyond excited for my first adult visit to MOMA, which didn't happen until about 4 years ago.

I was unprepared for how ridiculous many of the "works" were. And I'm a huge fan of Picasso, Rothko, Mondrian and Keith Haring.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
As someone who did visual art as a young person, I was beyond excited for my first adult visit to MOMA, which didn't happen until about 4 years ago.

I was unprepared for how ridiculous many of the "works" were. And I'm a huge fan of Picasso, Rothko, Mondrian and Keith Haring.
Think the problem with modern art is the dishonesty of many who praise it, thinking conformity of opinion is better than honesty. Only went to the Tate Modern once and was disgusted with so much of the trash on display. A grand piano falling down on ropes then hoisted back up, two fluorescent lights the innards mounted on pieces of 2” x 4” and don’t get me started on Tracey Emin’s unmade bed. So much trash to appreciate?

Last edited:

jsrtheta

Just like audio, the smell can be rather subjective. My wife loves White Linen... it gives me a headache and makes me want to wretch. Perfume advertising frequently claims to make a person more attractive and using what are widely considered to be beautiful specimens implants the suggestion that the purchaser is also attractive. Furthermore, the margins in perfume are amongst the highest of any product very similar to audio snake oil like cables.
That doesn't make it snake oil. If the purchaser smells it, and decides they want it, then they have not been defrauded (which is a touchstone of snake oil). I have never heard any woman tell me she bought a certain perfume and the scent disappeared when they got it home.

There's simply no fraud there.

Top Bottom