• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ in ROON guidance

MenloBob

Again after a couple of hours listening again tonight the boomy bass is much improved
The biggest issue to me is still the brightness in parts and the sibilance on vocals
Sibilance on male or female vocals (or both)? What does your Roon eq look like now?

You might want to try a high shelf filter (usually Filter 5 in Roon is pre-configured as high shelf). You can drag down to adjust the gain and left and right to adjust the frequency where you're dropping the treble. Male sibilance starts at 3k and female around 6k. Dropping 1.5 to 3 db at 4.5k might be a good starting point for listening tests.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Sibilance on male or female vocals (or both)? What does your Roon eq look like now?

You might want to try a high shelf filter (usually Filter 5 in Roon is pre-configured as high shelf). You can drag down to adjust the gain and left and right to adjust the frequency where you're dropping the treble. Male sibilance starts at 3k and female around 6k. Dropping 1.5 to 3 db at 4.5k might be a good starting point for listening tests.
I will investigate this , thank you.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Now I’m the one who lost track.

Do you mean as shown here?
Yes.
I could even experiment further, but I assume that the areas I need to be focussing on are the areas where I heard loudness?
I am a total novice so would not really know where to start .....other than guessing that I need to reduce these areas maybe?
I also intend to take a look at the sbibilance area as @MenloBob suggested.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Thank you.

I could even experiment further, but I assume that the areas I need to be focussing on are the areas where I heard loudness?
With the data you gathered now, regardless how crude, I’d probably focus on the middle two.

These:
95hz
130 to 148hz

Try and move the 200Hz correction to about 145Hz, and perhaps set its Q to 2. You have a couple of bars in that region. So your correction should probably not be too narrow. A Q of 1 may be a bit too wide though.

Then add one for the 95Hz peak. Try something between -3dB and -6dB as a start and a Q of 4.

All this remains a bit of guesswork. But at least it’s a lot more informed than with no frequency data at all.

You may find that this cleans up your bass considerably, but also lowers its overall volume a bit too much. This is normal, and remedied by adding a low shelf filter. First things first though. We can discuss the low shelf later.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Thank you.

With the data you gathered now, regardless how crude, I’d probably focus on the middle two.

These:

Try and move the 200Hz correction to about 145Hz, and perhaps set its Q to 2. You have a couple of bars in that region. So your correction should probably not be too narrow. A Q of 1 may be a bit too wide though.

Then add one for the 95Hz peak. Try something between -3dB and -6dB as a start and a Q of 4.

All this remains a bit of guesswork. But at least it’s a lot more informed than with no frequency data at all.

You may find that this cleans up your bass considerably, but also lowers its overall volume a bit too much. This is normal, and remedied by adding a low shelf filter. First things first though. We can discuss the low shelf later.
I have come this far so I will persist with this for sure . for now though I am trying to do something about the sibilance issues

OP
Womaz

Womaz

C5495A03-9B0B-414B-87CF-46F419D37BDC.png

It takes a lot of experimenting and sometimes the changes have the desired effect , but you feel as if you are losing something else

MacCali

Major Contributor
Does it matter how the speaker measures if the room is messing it all up? Seems like he enjoyed the speakers a lot in his old place and now it’s giving him trouble.

I am personally curious to see how my speakers measure in room and what sound I am getting. I really enjoy my setup the way it currently sounds, so it’s not really to change things up

Point being I need a quality mic which would preferably work across multi rc programs not sure if that is even possible.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Room correction.
Right. Thank you and sorry. :facepalm:

In general I would get a UMIK-1 and learn to go through this procedure. Also learn to perform this measurement method.

When you feel you have seen everything about it and it’s time for you to move on, you could start looking into FIR-based filtering. Myself I’m not at that point but I do know you can still use REW and your UMIK for that. Beyond that - I don’t really know. But my impression is that you can spend a lifetime on these first two stages without ever having to worry if your UMIK is still up to the task.

Hope this helps.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

D2997E4F-0E0B-428A-87B1-7E12C388AAE6.png

Ok to all who helped on here I have not gone away and give up I promise
I guess I just wanted to have a week or so enjoying the music without tweaking . The attached photo shows what I have settled with for now . The bass is massively improved so I am very happy with it.
I still have some brightness and sibilance so I may try and tweak it with some of the suggestions above .
Once again thanks to all who contributed

OP
Womaz

Womaz

For anyone that is interested this is what I have been using for the last year

Attachments

• 365295A8-174E-43B0-A29A-045D2CCBC45B.png
    365295A8-174E-43B0-A29A-045D2CCBC45B.png
    655.6 KB · Views: 18

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hoe did you derive those values without measurement?
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Hoe did you derive those values without measurement?
Keith
Guidance earlier on in this thread and then just experimented
i know it won’t be ideal but it’s a massive improvement especially with the sibilance on female vocals .

Top Bottom