• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Hi,
As you’ve found, there is no demo version, a demo version to allow proper evaluation would, I believe, need to generate the same filters as *.wav files, which the paid version generates. There is no way to restrict the use of these filters. They could, for example, be used indefinitely. Demo versions are also prone to being “cracked”, etc. So, for now, there is no demo on offer.
Anyone who does purchase the software can get support via the support e-mail address, and this brings customers to a position where they are happy with the results. Usually, support is not required

well, you guys could just take the filter generation out of the demo version.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
well, you guys could just take the filter generation out of the demo version.
They could, but then it's not much use as a demo as you still won't know the most important thing - is the result it produces any good?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
They could, but then it's not much use as a demo as you still won't know the most important thing - is the result it produces any good?

an experienced user can test the ease of use and see if it takes him closer to the wanted results by watching the graphs.
a fist time DRC user could also be baited by the graphs I guess.

Focus Fidelity

Audio Company

VoidX

Hi, I'd also like to show off my creation: a free and open source EQ software for Windows with a single click feature for Equalizer APO, completely customizable crossover, multi-mic and multi-sub support, Atmos playback with EQ, making ported subs sound like sealed ones, and many more features: http://cavern.sbence.hu/cavern/quickeq.php

Supports Equalizer APO, MiniDSP, MultEQ-X, StormAudio, and Behringer.

This one is completely built on user feedback, so if you'd like to see anything, just reach out to me.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Either that, or here, or the contact form on my website, or via email. GitHub is the best though for tracking any request or issue.

well, right from the start: it seams impossible to create a 2.1 system?
on a multichannel input device the fist channel is used?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there any downside to using a negative pre amp via EQ APO ? I think the only downside is the noise coming from louder gain/knob position. Am i right ? @solderdude
What negative pre amp does technically ? Decrease the loudness in digital domain but can it harm dynamic range ?

VoidX

well, right from the start: it seams impossible to create a 2.1 system?
If it's wired with a crossover, then just use stereo, and for individually wired 2.1, use 4.0 with 1 sub and 1 anything (it will be ignored). All systems can only handle pairs for output, so there's always a free output in discrete 2.1 systems.

Is there any downside to using a negative pre amp via EQ APO ?
Depends on the amplifier. If you don't have to raise its noise floor above the room's noise, then there are no issues, but if you decrease the gain with that much, it hurts the SNR (and thus DR).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is there any downside to using a negative pre amp via EQ APO ? I think the only downside is the noise coming from louder gain/knob position. Am i right ? @solderdude
What negative pre amp does technically ? Decrease the loudness in digital domain but can it harm dynamic range ?

negative pre-amp = digital volume lowered

You basically lower the S/N ratio and dynamic range a bit but this is far below any audible levels when this is somewhere between 3dB and -10dB.
As long as you do not increase the gain of the following amp you do not get more noise but of course the background noise level of the DAC is 'increased' opposite when no negative pre-amp is used (noise remains the same, signal level is lower so S/N ratio is smaller.

Digital signals have a 'ceiling' they cannot go beyond. this is 0dBFS (FS = Full Scale).
Most digital recordings have peaks reaching -1dB or sometimes 0dB or very close to it.

When you want to boost something (say bass levels) you would end up with analog waveforms exceeding 0dBFS. That is clipping.
To ensure that does not happen you can either NOT boost signals but attenuate that what doesn't need a boost.
Another way to do this is to lower the signal level first (the negative pre-amp) thereby making 'room' for boosting bass levels without clipping the waveform.

As this all happens in 24, 32 or even 64 bit resolution this does not matter.

VoidX

But when you limit the digital range with -preamp, the amplifier has no idea of this, and will expect 0 dB, thus giving full power, including the noise that comes with it.

odyo

So as long as there is no hissing coming from amp, it has no negative effect am i right ?
Now my problem is that my amp too loud at lowest volume and there is an imbalance at lower volumes so i wanna use the higher/better knob position without blasting my ears. It's Arya SE with Zen Can. 6db gain with BAL out.
I like to start with comfortable low volume and increase it later but without negative preamp it's just loud straight up.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But when you limit the digital range with -preamp, the amplifier has no idea of this, and will expect 0 dB, thus giving full power, including the noise that comes with it.

It still does receive 0dBFS.
An amplifier 'expects' nothing. It amplifies the input signal depending on the volume control setting and gain.
It is just the overall volume (so the not boosted part) that is lower in volume.

All this means is that the volume control of the amplifier has to be set the same amount of dB higher as the negative pre-amp.
That is... IF you want the same overall volume as when no EQ and no negative pre amp were used.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So as long as there is no hissing coming from amp, it has no negative effect am i right ?
Now my problem is that my amp too loud at lowest volume and there is an imbalance at lower volumes so i wanna use the higher/better knob position without blasting my ears. It's Arya SE with Zen Can. 6db gain with BAL out.
I like to start with comfortable low volume and increase it later but without negative preamp it's just loud straight up.

Then either use negative pre-amp or a lower gain setting on the amp (0dB), that's exactly what the gain settings are for.
Alternatively you can use a passive attenuator between amp and headphone. The passive attenuator actually lowers self-noise of the amp (not the source) but limits max output level.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'd also like to show off my creation: a free and open source EQ software for Windows with a single click feature for Equalizer APO, completely customizable crossover, multi-mic and multi-sub support, Atmos playback with EQ, making ported subs sound like sealed ones, and many more features: http://cavern.sbence.hu/cavern/quickeq.php

Supports Equalizer APO, MiniDSP, MultEQ-X, StormAudio, and Behringer.

This one is completely built on user feedback, so if you'd like to see anything, just reach out to me.
I added cavern EQ to the Windows list. :D Thanks muchO.

VoidX

It amplifies the input signal depending on the volume control setting and gain.
Yes, but this allows for the entire input range, the amplifier's SNR will be constant under the input's peak thanks to what you say. By preamping before the amp, you'll limit this range, the values between the peak and the limit will stand unused. If you have a good enough amplifier (which is not that hard today), you won't notice, and digital gain is completely fine.

odyo

Then either use negative pre-amp or a lower gain setting on the amp (0dB), that's exactly what the gain settings are for.
Alternatively you can use a passive attenuator between amp and headphone. The passive attenuator actually lowers self-noise of the amp (not the source) but limits max output level.
6db is the lowest gain with BAL out. I will switch to SE out 0db gain but i will still use negative preamp because it's still loud for my taste. I know nothing about passive attenuators although i can use variable output mode of the zen dac to feed zen can with a weaker signal but i don't know how it will behave that way.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I know nothing about passive attenuators

KC1PDR

Any Ubuntu users out there? I just did an upgrade to Ubuntu 22. I was using the version of Pulse Audio equalizer which actually works. After the upgrade the EQ looks slightly different and will not enable. When you check the status it just says "disabled" no matter what. Here is a screenshot. It looks slightly different than what it looked like before the upgrade....

View attachment 204099

Despite the check mark showing that it is enabled... it is not...
What is it that you upgraded from? 20.04LTS?

Top Bottom