• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Forum Member Tag/Title Descriptions

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can I apply for my $999 refund??

View attachment 235997
Tell you what, I give you your money back.
I need an address please, your cave, in which desert is it located? I send it with courier.

1665239947751.png

testp

interesting, so i'm 2 posts away becoming a Senior Member.

nice, ill accept..

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He lies obviously, you can find him in Doune Castle. I saw him a few days ago, he even greeted me
View attachment 236019
"You don't frighten me, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!"

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
'Staff member' is missing on the list, but I can guess ;-)
Staff Members have Yellow Tags and there are currently 3 of us. Our gracious Host Amir. Our Lead Moderator BDWoody (Brad), and yours truly.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss a sort of "reference guy" tag for those members that are sort of to-go people for a certain subject, like @solderdude for headphones, @mdsimon2 for his dsp tutorial etc etc
It could also help new members to know the guy answering knows what he is talking about
That's basically the Technical Expert title that is already used. (EDIT: bar them not working in an audio field). I think there's enough titles on ASR to be honest, lol!

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's basically the Technical Expert title that is already used. (EDIT: bar them not working in an audio field). I think there's enough titles on ASR to be honest, lol!
For as long as they are experts.
Can't expect experts not to work in their fields, can you?
Say, if Dan Clark wants to reply and set me straight on an issue he is knowledgeable, I certainly appreciate that.

fastfreddy666

I recommend you start by reading these books:
bookssmart_cr.png

Bob Metzler wrote this must read book in 1993. The first paragraph sets the stage: "Most audio equipment testing is done on a stimulus-response basis. A signal of known characteristics is fed to the input of the device under test (DUT) and the output of the DUT is measured. The performance of the DUT is determined by degradation of the output signal from the known input signal. Often, sets of measurements are made as the stimulus is swept or stepped across the frequency spectrum or across an amplitude range, and the desired performance information is determined by the relationship between the corresponding set of output measurements."

The title of the book AUDIO EXPERT is not a brag. Ethan Winer has, at various times, worked as a studio musician, computer programmer, circuit designer, recording engineer, composer/arranger, technical writer, and college instructor. His company RealTraps manufactures bass traps and other acoustic treatments.

And there's Floyd E. Toole. In the introduction of the book he quotes Mark Twain: “Between believing a thing and thinking you know is only a small step and quickly taken.”
Understanding this shit is hard. Get used to it.

David M. Howard And Jamie A.s Angus fifth edition of Acoustics and Psychoacoustics is also excellent. I hope y'all have a knack for math because you going to need it. Physical science involves math in all circumstances and is dependent on theory and numbers for reading and study. And the more you know....

And for good measure I threw in a book written by the God Of Amplifier Design: Douglas Self. In the introduction he says this about audio distortion: You may have two units placed side by one giving 2% THD and the other 0.0005% at full power, and both claiming to provide the ultimate audio experience. The ratio between the two figures is a staggering 4000:1, and this is clearly remarkable state of affairs. One might be forgiven for concluding that distortion was not a very important parameter. What is even more surprising to those who have not followed the evolution of audio over the last two decades is that the more distortive amplifier will almost certainly be the more expensive :D Truer words have never been spoken.

I agree full heartedly with one of the greatest scientist the world has ever known: Sir Isaac Newton: If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Go to Amazon now and spend some money on some good books instead of your next overly expensive valve amplifier. You might learn something.

Subjectivism is dead. And Audiosciencereview killed it! Subjectivists believe that the human ear is capable of hearing details and differences that cannot be directly measured. It's not true. Logic dictates that all perceivable differences in audio equipment can be explained scientifically through measurement and double-blind listening tests.

This is the hill I'm willing to die on. In the end science will win because it works.

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Say, if Dan Clark wants to reply and set me straight on an issue he is knowledgeable, I certainly appreciate that.
(It depends, if you put enough hours (and in the right way) into a skill or area of application, then you can become an expert regardless of whether it's part of your employment or not.)

MCH

Major Contributor
Technical expert tags are very scarce, and with a couple of exceptions they don't post much. Dan Clark doesn't have it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the list missing the 'persona non grata' types?
Like those who have been permanently banned but may have had a positive (or humorous) presence at ASR?
Or, the trolls?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(It depends, if you put enough hours (and in the right way) into a skill or area of application, then you can become an expert regardless of whether it's part of your employment or not.)
Technical expert tags are very scarce, and with a couple of exceptions they don't post much. Dan Clark doesn't have it.
Of course, didn't say it must be, I said it shouldn't matter whether they are in trade or not, as long as they are experts AND willing to reply and let the forum benefit from their expertise. Indeed, it helps if the area of their expertise coincides with their profession, it usually means they stay updated, and will have inside practical info.
Dan Clark was an example, he surely is an expert, but he does not post much, BUT if he did, then .... I wouldn't have held it against him, being involved in the trade.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's going to mess with our detractors who created an entire mythology around how these were based on the size of the financial contribution.

When they find out that the guy who gave $1.00 has the same 'Forum Donor' tag as the guy who gave $1,000 some heads may explode.
I noticed that “Chief Cat Herder” seems to be conspicuously absent from the list. That seems to be the most exclusive title of them all, wouldn’t you say? Or are there slots reserved for others?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I noticed that “Chief Cat Herder” seems to be conspicuously absent from the list. That seems to be the most exclusive title of them all, wouldn’t you say? Or are there slots reserved for others?

I think Chief Miscreant and general Scalawag is the most exclusive, but you have to do very naughty things to get that one. Only @AdamG247 knows, and I'm afraid to ask.

I think my title is still Moderator, but we are able to customize our Tags as one of so many perqs to the job. :cool:

Top Bottom