• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arcam AV860 SINAD possibly higher than AVR850 ?

Sieniek

Hello everyone,

Recently I've bought second hand Arcam AV860 processor.

I've made a decision to buy it as I've thought that the price was good and that I need some AVR or AV Processor to make my 5.1 home audio theater. At the moment I'm using only stereo speakers.

The other very important factor for me was Dirac Live and some idea which I've made in my head and now that's the question to all of you so maybe someone can answer this:

Is there any chance that Arcam AV860 with powered amps like Audiophonics Purifi x 5 monoblocks will have better SINAD than reviewed over here by @Amir Arcam AVR850 ?
I'm asking this because it looks like the whole Arcam AVR 550/850/860 series was the last quite acceptable series from Arcam when it comes to SINAD and the newest series from Arcam while reviewed bad over here still the Processor AV40 also reviewed over here have noticeably higher SINAD than AVR's from the newest Arcam series (AV10/AV20/AV30).

I can see that the Arcam AVR850 reviewed over here got more than 90 SINAD so maybe AV860 could be even higher than that overall ?

I know that only a real test done by @Amir can tell us the truth but still I'm curious that if AV40 have higher SINAD than other AVR's from the same series then maybe it could be the same with AV860 processor and AVR850/AVR550 too.

Anyone have any idea ? I'm very curious about your opinions about this so if you can jump in and leave something I would be grateful for that, thanks.

Sieniek

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more wondering why you're wondering at all. Is there something wrong particularly? Only using partial capability isn't going to be resolved by the 2ch evaluations done here particularly either. Not likely an audible issue in any case.

OP
S

Sieniek

I'm more wondering why you're wondering at all. Is there something wrong particularly? Only using partial capability isn't going to be resolved by the 2ch evaluations done here particularly either. Not likely an audible issue in any case.
Thanks for reply.

I'm just very curious about possible AV860 measurements especially that it's brother AVR850 review was quite ok compared to all AVR's measured here.

It just would be nice to know and I'm curious what other experienced people's thinking.

I know that most probably the differences wouldn't be audible for me anyway.

OP
S

Sieniek

You could perhaps send your 860 to Amir ? :)
Sure, that's good idea and I've already thought about it but I'm living on a different continent so I believe it would be quite costly to ship it both ways.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, that's good idea and I've already thought about it but I'm living on a different continent so I believe it would be quite costly to ship it both ways.
Yes, that could be difficult but unless you can convince Arcam to provide a sample, I wouldn't hold my breath particularly.

OP
S

Sieniek

Yes, that could be difficult but unless you can convince Arcam to provide a sample, I wouldn't hold my breath particularly.
Btw, do you think it was a good price for AV860 in good condition boxed with all the papers and cables

It should be a great fit in my audio system but I cannot find too much about the AV860 second hand valuation.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't help you much with what second hand goes for in your part of the world...have no idea of the market even for new stuff there! I've never been attracted to Arcam myself, prefer the bigger players like Yamaha, Denon, Marantz for both value and better performance with the latest/greatest codecs/hdmi/hdcp etc. If it works for you in terms of functionality....without bugs, handling the codecs yo need, speaker layouts, amplification....I just wouldn't worry about it and would just use it.

Top Bottom