• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?

Would you buy a speaker without first listening to it?

• Yes, but only if I had no way to audition it

• Yes, if I trust the reviews and measurements

• Yes, if it were inexpensive or could be returned

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm listening right now to the JBL708Ps I bought based on a combination of the reviews and the half price (B-stock) sale. No listening beforehand.

I've never been happier with an audio purchase.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Peluvius sorry for the hijack....am stuck inside (forest fire smoke) and bored :) But love the thread!

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've bought, tried and often resold a myriad of low-value speakers, sometimes out of curiosity, often costing a lot of money, but it's one of the things I consider fun in my audio passion.
I have not found a real match between my tastes and the measurements in the speakers, but not even with subjective reviewers almost never, so when I want to hear something that intrigues me, I buy it.
I bought without listening:
Mission lx2
Magnat tempus 33
Magnat monitor supreme 202
klipsch r51m
klipsch rp600m
Numan 1979markII
Magnat monitor 1002
Kef Q350
Elac debut 6.2 2.0
Tannoy Platinum b6
lonpoo lp42
Dali spector 1

Many of these have been resold after a short or long time, some things, the ones I liked best, have remained. My definitive purchase when I have a large enough salon will be the klipsch rp8000f, and they will be the speakers of my definitive system (I understand that I like klipsch sound head and shoulders above the others)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope you are safe & glad you like it :)
Was just wondering about how you've done with your fires now/recently....while I'd rather not have it, just a part of living in a huge forest these drought days....

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Was just wondering about how you've done with your fires now/recently....while I'd rather not have it, just a part of living in a huge forest these drought days....

We have just recorded our wettest year since 1950 in NSW. That after the horror firestorms of 2019-2020, again one of the worst on record. Wiped out significant swathes of old growth NSW national parkland. Crazy times.....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have just recorded our wettest year since 1950 in NSW. That after the horror firestorms of 2019-2020, again one of the worst on record. Wiped out significant swathes of old growth NSW national parkland. Crazy times.....
Wow. We've had some bad monsoon rains out in the desert areas in the SW US, but didn't really help the water situation as most of it just became runoff....but helped the reservoirs a bit. I have a 130,000 acre fire a few miles east of me for a while....but town has been protected, altho with one bad wind event had to evacuate a few weeks ago. We're surrounded by a lot of forest, few communities quite like ours in that regard. Haven't been to NSW since 1979! :)

SoundGuy

I heard only two speakers that ever impressed me so much I bought them on the spot. Energy Pto 22 and ATC SCM 20.

I guess I am blessed with knowing what I like…immediately and without reservation and that has not changed in 40 years despite hundreds of auditions. I will admit that many speakers are acceptable and great value but don’t quite achieve the realism I desire - fine for FOH, floor monitors and a multitude of applications.. I have been able to purchase progressively bigger ATC without audition because they have the most consistent design philosophy and house sound of all speaker manufacturers ….something of great value to certain discerning listeners but irrelevant to most people here.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Several threads like this.

It is thanks to the internet, pioneers like Floyd Toole, and the modern measurement and design era that have given me confidence to buy speakers unheard. Most have been good decisions.

It's time to part with my S400 MKI's, but I can't imagine replacing my S400 MKII's soon. Not until a future larger room where I may need more firepower. So, the design by measurement approach really does produce great speakers. If you get a tryout period and a good return policy, you don't have much to lose.

Other speakers I've bought online:

Infinity Primus P362
Infinity Reference RS152
Emotiva Airmotiv 5S, 6S
ELAC DFR52
Polk LSiM 702
Mackie MR624
iLoud MTM
Focal OD 706 V
Reaction Audio CX-10
Several Rythmik subs

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Several threads like this.

It is thanks to the internet, pioneers like Floyd Toole, and the modern measurement and design era that have given me confidence to buy speakers unheard. Most have been good decisions.

It's time to part with my S400 MKI's, but I can't imagine replacing my S400 MKII's soon. Not until a future larger room where I may need more firepower. So, the design by measurement approach really does produce great speakers. If you get a tryout period and a good return policy, you don't have much to lose.
Maybe some links to those threads could be useful here....

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Twenty-something years ago I bought speakers based almost entirely on my armchair analysis of their design (they also had a good reputation). There were no measurements available and no reviews, at least not of a current model. To say I liked them would be an understatement: I left the oil-and-gas industry to become a home-based high-end audio dealer specifically to sell THAT line of speakers.

Maginness

Earlier this year I bought speakers (Musician Knight 1) without auditioning them. Basically one review was enough for me to take a chance. The reviewer had several other speakers i was interested in and his description of the differences seemed to match what I like. Really enjoy them and glad bought them.

Matthias McCready

I have purchased several speakers without having the chance to listen first... so far it has worked out great everytime, and I have been happy for what I paid.

For the expensive stuff I have trusted the brand I have been purchasing from to produce a good product for the price, and for the inexpensive stuff I have gotten lucky.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I am actually surprised to see how many of us purchase without listening first.

I bought my Genelecs without hearing them as well as my SVS subs. Is auditioning a sub a thing?

I am very happy with my Genelecs and subs.

I bought a set of (quite expensive) speakers once without audition but only because they offered a no-questions-asked return for 30 days, ended up sending them back.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am actually surprised to see how many of us purchase without listening first.
Well I think it comes down to the circumstances and brand as well. I would buy without listening if they measured exceptionally well on the Klippel or an anechoic chamber, but only if I couldn't audition them. Preference would be to audition and that audition would be best in the room they're destined for, but at the very least at a hi-fi store.

That said, some speakers are not available online or via chain stores, rather from specific hi-fi stores or even direct from a boutique manufacturer.

I wouldn't consider any speaker that I had not seen independent and trustworthy measurements for.

JSmith

Top Bottom