• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?

Would you buy a speaker without first listening to it?

• Yes, but only if I had no way to audition it

• Yes, if I trust the reviews and measurements

• Yes, if it were inexpensive or could be returned

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have seen this question come up a few times. I think things have changed over the last 20 years in terms of the quality and quantity of information we now have access to. Does that change anyone's view?

I would never have considered doing this 20 years ago, a few of my recent purchases have been based on trusted reviews (which included music listening) and measurements.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't lived near anywhere reasonable to audition in a long time, I take my chances with the internet options and shipping services based on measurements and user comments, but must have a return option. Haven't returned any yet, tho. None of the voting options really worked, as all three somewhat applied (not subjective reviews from the mags/blogs, tho). Back in the day I could easily go to several shops and listen to quite a few different speakers, and would do so.....often just for fun as I wasn't constantly shopping.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Didn't listen to my little JBLs.

Didn't listen to my Martin Logans, though I had a pair of their little brothers.

Didn't listen to my amp, preamp, DAC, miniDSP, or any of the other stuff in the rack.

Did watch the TV at Sam's, or thought I did, it was a different model.

Didn't fly my airplane before I bought it, I wasn't qualified yet.

Didn't ride my motorcycle before I bought it. Being a bit rusty on the riding, I had it delivered, too.

Can you spot a trend here?

I tend to buy something and "make it work".

I don't remember returning anything that wasn't actual junk.

Last edited:
OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Haven't lived near anywhere reasonable to audition in a long time, I take my chances with the internet options and shipping services based on measurements and user comments, but must have a return option. Haven't returned any yet, tho. None of the voting options really worked, as all three somewhat applied (not subjective reviews from the mags/blogs, tho). Back in the day I could easily go to several shops and listen to quite a few different speakers, and would do so.....often just for fun as I wasn't constantly shopping.

I got really serious about auditioning a while back and spent 5 or 6 years frequenting the HiFi shops around Sydney. I enjoyed this as something to do but to this day I really don't know if it got me better speakers. The two things that struck me were that you could only ever A/B the speakers they actually sold or had in stock and then comparing that objectively to another shop across town the next day was just pointless (for me) and that the speakers did not sound the same at my place.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I came to the realization a long time ago that auditioning speakers in a store had limits compared to how they'd sound in various rooms at home....let alone how they might compare to another store's room/setup....

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the days, I was big on Auditioning.

Today My current and best system ever, was assembled without any audition. Just reviews and tests aka measurements. Not gonna change that going forward.

Peace.

thegeton

Forum Donor
I've made numerous audio purchases in the past 3 years without listening to them first. I have scored a large number of victories and also enountered a few duds. Overall, I wouldn't trade any of those experiences, but I would like some of my money back...

Need to get some stuff sold. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've made numerous audio purchases in the past 3 years without listening to them first. I have scored a large number of victories and also enountered a few duds. Overall, I wouldn't trade any of those experiences, but I would like some of my money back...

Need to get some stuff sold. ;)
Curious what some of the duds were and there was no return option or it took a while to figure out they were duds?

thegeton

Forum Donor
Curious what some of the duds were and there was no return option or it took a while to figure out they were duds?

The latter. I needed time with them, time to move them back/forth between systems, and to really get to know them before I could make final decisions.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The latter. I needed time with them, time to move them back/forth between systems, and to really get to know them before I could make final decisions.
And they were what speakers particularly? If you would care to share, understand if not....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it was a speaker that I had heard a lot about and it was an amazing deal, maybe.
What sources would count for "hearing a lot about"? Amazing deal speaks for itself, tho :)

Zog

Yeah I came to the realization a long time ago that auditioning speakers in a store had limits compared to how they'd sound in various rooms at home....let alone how they might compare to another store's room/setup....
My dealer asked about my amp and source and ensured that the demo had as close a match as possible. I bought the speakers (Magico A3) and have not looked back. One of the things that helped is that the speakers looked so much better in the flesh than in the advertising.

thegeton

Forum Donor
And they were what speakers particularly? If you would care to share, understand if not....

Triangle BRO3.

I know, I know, they reviewed poorly on ASR. I had purchased them before I became aware of ASR. That said, it wasn't until I really listened to them for an extended period of time in a couple of different listening spaces that I could hear the issues discussed in the review. And, as it turns out, it isn't simply that "they aren't perfect." I have other imperfect speakers that I truly enjoy. It was that I couldn't "un-hear" the issues. Once exposed, that overbearing midrange was just too much. Sigh.

Live and learn.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My dealer asked about my amp and source and ensured that the demo had as close a match as possible. I bought the speakers (Magico A3) and have not looked back. One of the things that helped is that the speakers looked so much better in the flesh than in the advertising.
If a dealer told me that I'd laugh at him. The room has far more influence than the electronics.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I bought a pair of Polk Audio R200 loudspeakers sound unheard on the strength of:
1) good reports here.
2) previous experience (over four decades' worth) with Polk.
3) previous experience with the quite similar L200.
4) Excellent Polk factory special pricing.

I was not, nor am I still, the least bit disappointed, either.

Actually, come to think of it, I bought those ELACs sound unheard, too, on the strength of a recommendation from a hifi colleague whose opinions carry a lot of weight with me. I was kind of disappointed by them. :confused:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of Polk Audio R200 loudspeakers sound unheard on the strength of:
1) good reports here.
2) previous experience (over four decades' worth) with Polk.
3) previous experience with the quite similar L200.
4) Excellent Polk factory special pricing.

I was not, nor am I still, the least bit disappointed, either.

Actually, come to think of it, I bought those ELACs sound unheard, too, on the strength of a recommendation from a hifi colleague whose opinions carry a lot of weight with me. I was kind of disappointed by them. :confused:
Which ELACs are they?

Top Bottom