• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG2 Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 31.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 106 48.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters

ToneDeafMonk

20221004_154332.jpg

How does J2 akm compare with more expensive dacs?
I bought the J2 because it's a minimalist simple design with the AKM chip the reviews are fantastic and I would agree. I bought this over the D90 and could not be happier! Noticeably better Sounding than the EQS chip in the Hiby .

4Real

Unfortunately, for this manufacturer, at this point in time, DACs without a display that clearly tells the user what the selected output is—without having to consult a manual—are just not competitive. USB audio should not be an option as it is more-or-less the standard for computer audio use. Weird combinations of button presses to set the output and level are just not user friendly and will drive all but the most hardened old-timer to other vendors product.

Sure, it has that DIY feel—what with the plastic case and all—but most of the market is way past the point of the DIY kit-built feel. If this were 1999, this is what cutting edge 'might' look like. Now, no one can be bothered with bespoke, artisanal products like this at this price point. Maybe—just maybe—if this measured like a D90s, the other shortcomings could be overlooked.
Fortunately for Geshelli Labs their products are unique, attractive looking, sound great and are made in the USA.

4Real

View attachment 235451

I bought the J2 because it's a minimalist simple design with the AKM chip the reviews are fantastic and I would agree. I bought this over the D90 and could not be happier! Noticeably better Sounding than the EQS chip in the Hiby .
looks great too!
It makes sense I guess I'm just turned off by the idea that it is USB that is considered optional.
so think of it this way. The USB is standard but if you don't need it they will give you a $50.00 discount !

alpha_logic

How does J2 akm compare with more expensive dacs?
It doesn't : ) It's a great DAC, and for some it could be an 'end-game' DAC, but it's not in the same league as the latest high-price offerings from SMSL, Topping, Gustard, Denafrips etc., etc.. And honestly I don't think that would be a fair comparison - the J2 is built to a price-point and at that price point and maybe up to 500 dollars I think ithe J2 AKM is an epic contender, but it's no 'giant-killer'. Having said that I think the J2 with the ESS 9028 Pro chip IS a 'giant-killer':)

Rewind

It is brutal business. I don't wish it on anyone.

And oh, another brutal business is doing what I do. A review a day and 10 complaints per review. It is like taking a college exam every day of the week!
Can't you make a thread where you drink a few glasses of whiskey, and just flip through a few dacs and listen to them? And then tell us about the experience? No science, just whiskey.

ToneDeafMonk

Here is where I would disagree my AKM J2 sounded better than the Cambridge Audio DM200, my Chord Mojo, My Quedelix 5k, and iFi units.

It doesn't try to be a " Giant Killer" hate that tem anyway. But what it does do is feed my amps with a nice slightly north of warm sound signature while being hugely musical. It simple design and personalized units resonate with me. The J2 is excellent value full stop.

Attachments

• 20221023_163940.jpg
    20221023_163940.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 186

redeyes

I just got the JNOG2 AKM version, modified with a Sparkos Pro SS2590 opamp running the RCA outputs. It absolutely sounds better than anything else Ive heard or own. WOW! I hate Sabre DAC sound, tried many and they all upset me with their high end and slightly V shaped sound.

Specifically, it sounds wider, left to right, has a deeper stage due to *i think* having more fleshed out mids. Bass seems slightly less than other dacs, which I do not care one bit about.

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_122152.jpg
    IMG_20221019_122152.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I just got the JNOG2 AKM version, modified with a Sparkos Pro SS2590 opamp running the RCA outputs. It absolutely sounds better than anything else Ive heard or own. WOW! I hate Sabre DAC sound, tried many and they all upset me with their high end and slightly V shaped sound.
Wait so you soldered those amps on, then? Also on your picture just one RCA input is used, or ..?

redeyes

Gishelli soldered a dip 8 socket for me. This is a custom version. The RCAs wouldnt fit so they added 2 RCA Pigtails, those are the black cables, the clear/white one is spdif.

Veri

Master Contributor
Gishelli soldered a dip 8 socket for me. This is a custom version. The RCAs wouldnt fit so they added 2 RCA Pigtails, those are the black cables, the clear/white one is spdif.
Ohh wow that sure is custom stuff.. :)

redeyes

Ohh wow that sure is custom stuff.. :)
I've been told that I wont hear a difference from the OPA1612 to the Sparkos SS2590 Pros. I swear I can. I Just sounds a hair more deep and sparkly overall to me. For lack of a better way to say it. I lack anything I can measure it with, so this will have to do for an impression. I have a custom shell coming so that is cool, just to complete the package, also the Gishelli Archel 2.5XL.

Matthew

This is one of the few DACs available with different chips and the same output stage. Seems like a great opportunity to actually hear how much difference a DAC chip can make. Comparing DACs with differing output stages makes the DAC chip comparison impossible yet we see so many reviews discussing the virtues of ESS vs AK vs etc without regard to the differences of the overall circuit design. If anyone has an opportunity I'd love to see come comment regarding this aspect of the J2.

Jungstar

My best guess is they make it an option as some might not want it and some do. So if you don't you're not paying for something that you don't need. Modular setup is quite nice IMO.

I'm cool with their modular option I just see USB as mandatory for nowadays uses. I'd prefer more if it's optical or coaxial they charge.
Still, this is fine too.

USB is more complicated and more costly. Google "Amanero USB Module" and you will see that a quality (read better than Topping) USB module, easily cost 50 USD. I guess the most clean way is to use this with a streamer, not a PC, hence the optical or coaxial connection.

alekksander

geshelli is trying to win my heart with that customizable wooden box/plexi tint… is there any notable difference in performance with different dac chips? someone measured it perhaps?

redeyes

You can ask Gishelli! They are great to chat with. Differences are going to be probably AKM vs Sabre and to me those have a different sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
is there any notable difference in performance with different dac chips? someone measured it perhaps?
This forum would say no. Both are pretty equally performing, so... if anything, I'd go with the ESS9026 since that is the only one with verified performance parameters as taken by the APx machine @ Geshelli. The 9038Q2M and AKM one, you'd have no clue.

redeyes

Gishelli does have the APx machine as well.. so I assume the newer designs are at least as good as the older ones but.. yada yada, measurements please. I'd get the AKM version.

Top Bottom