• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RAAL requisite CA-1a Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 172 81.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2022-10-07 10_36_00-boutique - Google Search — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
I can't get past those cheap ass looking pads on a 2.5K headphone. I haven't even read the review except conclusion as a result, and I'm still voting terrible.

The headband isn't better either...
I didn't see that, or didn't think about it, but now that you've pointed it out, it looks pretty bad. Maybe they are comfortable but hmm..

Here 6:25 into the video and then there is still a person who likes the sound in them but criticizes the quality of the material:

The pads just look and feel cheap..:

V17

Interesting thing. Years ago I tried building DIY ribbon headphones that were quite similar to these in the video:

A bit OT but still, for those who are curious and want to learn how ribbon headphones work::)

And they had almost exactly the same "steps" on the frequency response that the RAALs have between 100 Hz and 1kHz. I wonder why that is.

In the end I scrapped the idea mainly because I was unable to create the ribbon folds precisely enough and there were always some irregularities that created audible metallic sounding resonances - they were not strong, but since you associate the harmonics with aluminum foil, it's unpleasant. But also the whole concept is just a pain to work with as the sensitivity is so low, it needs a transformer and the transducer is so fragile. Without the folds it just turns into a tweeter and the sensitivity gets even lower.

However the bass they produced was absurd and the sound was incredibly clean and detailed, comparable to good electrostats.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I would have paid to read the reviews from the HEA before this one...

This RAAL headphone would have flown ... before ASR... Yep. The HEA magazines would have been all over it, praising its "organic" qualities. " its "warm" midrange, its "respectful" treble ... and especially its spatial qualities worthy of a Space Opera!!! Its mid-high price alone would have suffice to anoint it among the best and for some daring reviewers, it would have been be called a "bargain":rolleyes:

Not anymore... This is a bad showing, a poorly designed and realized product.
Back to the drawing boards and this time, do try to solve real problems in Headphones...

Peace.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
they had almost exactly the same "steps" on the frequency response that the RAALs have between 100 Hz and 1kHz. I wonder why that is.

Not exclusive for ribbons.
The larger hifiman drivers show the same effect.
Edition X(v2)
fr-ed-x1.png

HE1000
he1000-fr.png

Edition XX
fr-ed-xx.png

Ananda:
fr-aangedrukt.png

Susvara:
fr-susvara.png

Not so for the Audeze.... well the LCD2F has a liitle it of it.
fr-lcd2f.png

Here is an interesting one. The org. MrSpeakers Ether and the later Ether Flow. It seems less present in the flow version. That might have something to do with it.
ether-vs-ether-flow-open.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thing. Years ago I tried building DIY ribbon headphones that were quite similar to these in the video:

And they had almost exactly the same "steps" on the frequency response that the RAALs have between 100 Hz and 1kHz. I wonder why that is.

In the end I scrapped the idea mainly because I was unable to create the ribbon folds precisely enough and there were always some irregularities that created audible metallic sounding resonances - they were not strong, but since you associate the harmonics with aluminum foil, it's unpleasant. But also the whole concept is just a pain to work with as the sensitivity is so low, it needs a transformer and the transducer is so fragile. Without the folds it just turns into a tweeter and the sensitivity gets even lower.

However the bass they produced was absurd and the sound was incredibly clean and detailed, comparable to good electrostats. I remember listening to this beautiful album and being amazed that it actually sounds clean and transparent.
Not exclusive for ribbons.
The larger hifiman drivers show the same effect.
Edition X(v2)
fr-ed-x1.png

HE1000
he1000-fr.png

Edition XX
fr-ed-xx.png

Ananda:
fr-aangedrukt.png

Susvara:
fr-susvara.png

Not so for the Audeze.... well the LCD2F has a liitle it of it.
fr-lcd2f.png

Here is an interesting one. The org. MrSpeakers Ether and the later Ether Flow. It seems less present in the flow version. That might have something to do with it.
ether-vs-ether-flow-open.png
And here's my Hifiman HE4XX chucked in for good measure on my miniDSP EARS rig, it shows just the one step (at 600Hz), but it is a big one, but you'll notice Oratory's measurement doesn't really show it (maybe it's heavy smoothing as there is a depression in that same 600Hz area):
HE4XX miniDSP channel balance.jpg

HE4XX measurement Oratory.jpg

frix

I can't get past those cheap ass looking pads on a 2.5K headphone. I haven't even read the review except conclusion as a result, and I'm still voting terrible.
looking just at the picture without reading anything I assumed: "oh armir somehow got his hand on a prototype".
They should be ashamed to sell them at this price looking and feeling so unfinished

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah no.

Also, why am I still reading this stuff? I haven't bought an audio component since before COVID!
ASR has honestly made me far more reluctant to buy audio stuff.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flattening it out with EQ for me would be a non-starter given the high levels of distortion. Personally, I hate the level of complexity the transformer adds. Moreover, looks cheap and nasty (and not in a good way).

I really do not know who these are for, exactly. Certainly not a primary driver. Maybe the user who wants 5-6 $2k plus headphones on the wall at once, even though only planning to break these particular ones out twice a month or something.

DanielT

Major Contributor
As me then, BUT at the same time also the contrary. :)

Not that I bought "high end" stuff (whatever it is, let's say expensive HiFi) in the past, but nowadays I would be even more cautious about it, so yes more reluctant. Having said that, I have received many good tips via ASR and Amir's reviews, tests.:D Even based on that, they bought , example DAC Topping E30 and TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM. I am very happy with those things. If I had been in need of a streamer, I would probably have bought, for example:

..and so on. :)

Edit:
But expensive. Just a few examples of that and which is also pretty bad HiFi that Amir tested:
Wilson Audio TuneTot speakers, $10,000.
Carver Crimson 275 tube stereo power amplifier, US $2750.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Something tells me the open pads and with normal to comfortable loud levels this will sound fine.
€ 3k is substantial and includes the € 750 transformer box. About € 1k less than the SR1A with transformer box.
Next model € 2k and more classic looking with some nice looking wood enclosure ?

You do get something different than dynamic/ring/planar magnetic/ortho dynamic/piezo/electret/electrostatic drivers though... if that's your thing.
40Hz -3dB (not Harman) is not terrible by the way for an open design and up to somewhat loud levels even EQ-able.

Looks... yes, that's personal. This is not for me, I reckon the designer did not want a 'generic' look or the 'technical look' of their other model.
A little EQ can help this one too (but it can be beneficial for most headphones).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something tells me the open pads and with normal to comfortable loud levels this will sound fine.
€ 3k is substantial and includes the € 750 transformer box. About € 1k less than the SR1A with transformer box.
Next model € 2k and more classic looking with some nice looking wood enclosure ?

You do get something different than dynamic/ring/planar magnetic/ortho dynamic/piezo/electret/electrostatic drivers though... if that's your thing.
40Hz -3dB (not Harman) is not terrible by the way for an open design and up to somewhat loud levels even EQ-able.

Looks... yes, that's personal. This is not for me, I reckon the designer did not want a 'generic' look or the 'technical look' of their other model.
A little EQ can help this one too (but it can be beneficial for most headphones).
Feeling charitable and generous today? Are we? :)

Peace.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's made me more confident to buy, with the numbers and scrutiny of this forum... and buy I have... lol. I sold all my expensive cords & cables, replaced all HT speakers with Revels, my first IEM @ $50 and a couple of headphones for under $500, all after reading here. I didn't even know most of that stuff existed a year ago. So, the opposite of reluctance, for better or worse, has been the effect it's had on me. I'm a much happier human being because of it... actually.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's made me for confident to buy, with the numbers and scrutiny of this forum... and buy I have... lol. I sold all my expensive cords & cables, replaced all HT speakers with Revels, my first IEM @ $50 and a couple of headphones for under $500, all after reading here. I didn't even know this most of that stuff existed a year ago. So, the opposite of reluctance, for better or worse, has been the effect it's had on me. I'm a much happier human being because of it... actually.
Same here.
Much happy with the audio systems I've purchased, thanks to ASR. Listening to music, watching movies and not missing much.. Actually wonder at times what would an upgrade means or sound like.. First time in my half century of being an audiophile, that I 've experienced such.

Presently listening through a SOTA, Yes State Of The Art, headphones system that cost me less than $1000.oo:
HiFiMan HE6SEv2 ...... $500.oo
Topping D10b.... $130.oo
Drop THX AAA 789 $150.oo
Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio and Fusion DSP ... $85.oo

Peace.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reminds me of that old Groucho joke... the food here is awful, and such small portions!

These headphones are crazy expensive and measure terribly... and look awful to boot!

Top Bottom