• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do so many prefer the sound of "Class A" amplification vs. "linear" amps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys know darn well class A and A/B are all about the PRaT, chocolatey mids, airy highs, fast bass and the ultimate, velvety vocals. Not that I'm stirring the pot........;).
It make sense that a linear output amp with no switching distortion, matched pairs for equal gain left and right and very high capacitance for smoothing and storage should sound better. How much better is one another thing. I've heard one class A amp that sounded better. All others where just another amp or another power amp.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is somewhat what I suspect. More harmonic distortion = warmth or whatever else they're describing. But is this actually audible?

You can measure two recordings and then run it through DeltaWave to see if you have a PK Metric that meets the threshold of -50 dB.

If anything, using a regular microphone instead of the amplifier itself will up the challenge of detecting a difference.

Edit: and if you trust Accuphase's own measurements, you can see the difference between their A/AB switchable amplifier.

Sadly, I sold this P-266 before I got my test gear, but I did replace it with the Marantz PM-11s2 which did very well here:

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more curious, as I've never owned a class A amp and have never been able to A/B test them myself.

They point to the sound being more "open", "warmer", "dynamic", less "sterile".

For tube amps, it seems more reasonable there would be a difference. That extra distortion which colors the sound. For class A, are they essentially hearing less of the same phenomenon?

In the above videos, Mid-Fi guy goes into great detail listing out the differences between various solid state amps. Part of me finds it very hard to believe that he's simply imagining all of it. What do you guys think is going on there?

Josh Valour does a fairly unscientific A/B test of the A90 vs. A90D, but it's still a data point showing some audible differences.

What's going on here? Are so many audiophiles who spend time with this equipment on a daily basis simply imagining all of it?
Personally all the differences I thought I was hearing were not there in level matched “blind” (my daughter made the changes so I didn’t know which I was listening to) comparisons.

The placebo effect is also very strong - particularly with fancy looking expensive stuff. People are extremely inclined to believe expensive stuff is better, and are heavily encouraged into this belief by reviewers and dealers.

In reality a small increase in level is heard as more clarity rather than louder and IMO a lot of demos rely on this fact to sell punters more expensive kit :mad:

I have enjoyed Class-A, class AB, Class-D and hybrid amplifiers and the only thing that really stood out with the class A (two Krell KSP 200B amps driving active Apogee Diva speakers) was how hot they made the listening room.
They sounded fine but I was equally happy with a Class AB Spectral DMA180 in another system.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though I'd use class D for my horns if the J2 ever dies, it does warm the room nicely in this nippy weather.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apogee Diva speakers
Those bad boys are supposed to get amps hot.
z apogee 1.png

z apogee 2.png

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Slightly off topic. I have a Topping A30 Pro that at lower volumes runs class A. It gets really warm. At high volumes it run with just a touch of heat.
Just got another on in yesterday and same thing. Over 250 ohm headphones and it goes into class A automatically. In standby it's warm, but I just took the DT880 600ohm out for a spin in high gain mode and it did feel less warm the whole time than in standby. It is nice being able to stay in medium gain even on the 600 ohm Beyers, just need high for replaygain, prevolume war recordings, or equalizing with a big preamp reduction. With the 880's I tried to reach the end of the volume wheel to see in medium gain and the last few notches I got the "Danger Will Robinson" alarm as it got too loud. It's nice not having to buy balanced cables ever again.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Class A is famous in Mic's preamplifiers.
Even my cheap E-MU works that way.I owned couple of amps too,one of them is still one of favorites of all time even if I moved on and owned 5-6 class D from then on.
(never heard the famous warmth though,was rather neutral according to my taste.)

DanielT

Major Contributor
For tube amps, it seems more reasonable there would be a difference. That extra distortion which colors the sound. For class A, are they essentially hearing less of the same phenomenon?
Tube amplifiers are operated in different classes, in case anyone is wondering about the concepts.:)

Finally, all single-ended amplifiers are Class A. Push-pull amplifiers are predominantly Class AB, but they can be Class A, AB, B, and a host of others.

General about amplifier classes:

For more details, you can ask more knowledgeable people than me here at ASR.:)

Last edited:

evam1

I had two amplifiers class a: Sugden ia4 masterclass (before 2y) and, until last night, Pass int25.
Although both of them are class A tops (that's what the reviews say...) I didn't like either of them...

DanielT

Major Contributor
I am attaching some pictures. Experiment I did. A single end class A tube amp, 6.7 W that I borrowed and sold on behalf of a friend. Absolutely no problem running compression drivers only. But the drivers have 108 dB sensitivity.:)

On the other hand, I tested 89 dB sensitive two-way speakers with an 8 inch bass element in them. The same tube amp, single end, class A 6.7 W vs class AB transistor of 80 W. At low volume then the tube amp managed to follow along but then when I turn on the volume all the more.. nop. I saw with my own eyes that the power-poor class A amplifier was literally unable to pump the bass driver, so it really wasn't imagination.:oops: Now it didn't sound bad (well kind of), it just almost didn't sound. Had it been a transistor-based class A amplifier of 6.7 W that was driven beyond its capability in this way, well I don't know. I would probably then have heard rather bad-sounding clipping from that amplifier, or..? I guess that anyway.

Edit:
I used a NAD's pre amp part and turned the bass tone control up to max I should add. That plus with bass pumping techno music to test. With class A, tube amp maybe muddy sound, but above all it couldn't barely drive the 8 inch basses when I turned the volume really high.

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_145202 (2) (1).jpg
    IMG_20220306_145202 (2) (1).jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220305_084811 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220305_084811 (2).jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 49
  • shot_2022-01-15_20-10-23.png
    shot_2022-01-15_20-10-23.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220115_195552.jpg
    IMG_20220115_195552.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
Some are class C. No, you wouldn't want to listen to those :)
Probably not but for the sake of curiosity it would have been interesting. :D

OT:
Class C seems to be used for RF transmitters:

Class C​

Class-C amplifier
In a class-C amplifier, less than 50% of the input signal is used (conduction angle Θ < 180°). Distortion is high and practical use requires a tuned circuit as load. Efficiency can reach 80% in radio-frequency applications.[11]

The usual application for class-C amplifiers is in RF transmitters operating at a single fixed carrier frequency, where the distortion is controlled by a tuned load on the amplifier. The input signal is used to switch the active device, causing pulses of current to flow through a tuned circuit forming part of the load.
[16]

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not but for the sake of curiosity it would have been interesting. :D

OT:
Class C seems to be used for RF transmitters:

Class C​

Class-C amplifier
In a class-C amplifier, less than 50% of the input signal is used (conduction angle Θ < 180°). Distortion is high and practical use requires a tuned circuit as load. Efficiency can reach 80% in radio-frequency applications.[11]

The usual application for class-C amplifiers is in RF transmitters operating at a single fixed carrier frequency, where the distortion is controlled by a tuned load on the amplifier. The input signal is used to switch the active device, causing pulses of current to flow through a tuned circuit forming part of the load.
[16]
Yes, it's simple and efficient. As long as you can tune for a narrow band of frequencies, distortion is good enough for many purposes. For audio? It would probably sound like everything was robot music ;)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, it's simple and efficient. As long as you can tune for a narrow band of frequencies, distortion is good enough for many purposes. For audio? It would probably sound like everything was robot music ;)
He he. :)

One last OT from me in this thread:

General tip for those reading this thread. Visit a radio museum. It's interesting with radio and sound history, I think::)

Another tip, this thread, if we're talking audio history:

Piere

Cross over distortion is indeed visible as a bunch of harmonics to up to 20 kHz and often far beyond...

Here a standard but well powered LM3886 chip amp:

LM3886---8ohm---1W.gif

And here the same LM3886 amp tailored as a composite amp (CA amp):

Composiet---8ohm---1W.gif

Same clean-up for IMD! IMO the higher harmonics are masking fine detail. There is clearly a remarkable difference between both amps soundwise. I.e. the CA amp sounds more relaxed and reverb of well recorded albums has longer tails. This is the same you will experience with a well designed class-A amp. However most class-A marketed as class-A is only partly working in class-A. Such amps sounds pretty well at moderate levels but when you cross the the borders of class-A bias you have TWO cross-over points! One at the plus side and one at the minus side.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a lot of people that use class A for lower efficiency speakers are experiencing peak clipping. Most class A amps just don't have the oomph required. Maybe that accounts for the "smoother" sound.

Piere

Duh, I don't think "oomph" is not what sets class-A apart from class-AB. If both are well designed the only difference sound-wise, is cross over distortion and the lack thereof. And practically also your electricity bill :oops:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Duh, I don't think "oomph" is not what sets class-A apart from class-AB. If both are well designed the only difference sound-wise, is cross over distortion and the lack thereof. And practically also your electricity bill :oops:
Class A are seldom very powerful.

Piere

True, they are not suited as a power house in general. They excel in the mids and highs, so use them for that only in a high-end set-up. The lows don't favour from class-A. In that frequency region feedback is usually that high, cross over is suppressed pretty well with regular class-AB.

I myself have always been a big fan of class-A. Long time ago I build a John Linsley Hood Mosfet 80W amp biassed in class-A. One of my finest amps ever. But idling at over 250W! Today I use a composite amp idling at a 13 watts for 2x 80W/channel, for the mids/highs and UcD class-D for the bass region. For me class-A for power amps is something of the past anyway. But not the sound of it!

IMG_2864_DIY.jpg

Top Bottom