• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010 vs 8020 for desktop near field lower volume use

Jarick

Hi all, I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and really enjoy the detailed reviews and measurements. Signing up to try and get a specific recommendation.

I purchased a pair of Genelec 8010A's last week to replace some cheaper monitors I've used, the JBL LSR305's and the iLoud Micros. I'm using these exclusively on my home office desk, about 1m away, and at fairly low volumes (around conversation levels). I mostly use them for listening to music and playing/recording music (mostly electric guitar). I definitely prefer flatter speakers, and found both the JBL 305's and the iLoud Micros to be a bit hyped in the highs and lows. Additionally, the JBL's are WAY too big for my desk, and the Micros sound like they are strained in the low end.

The Genelec 8010's sound flatter than both in the midrange, although I was surprised they were a bit warmer (less bright) sounding than I expected. Getting them off the desk on some stands definitely helped to clear up the sound, as they had a proximity boost in the lows when sitting on the desk. In terms of volume, I'm not pushing them too much, and I do have the -10 dB switch in and feeding them less than half the volume on my interface.

While the 8010's are an improvement over the other speakers, I can't shake the impression that they are a tiny bit boxy sounding, especially in the low end. I don't need rumbling bass at all, but I'm wondering if the 8010 low end extension rolls off a little too early. So while I'm still in the return policy, I'm wondering if the 8020's would have a more open/natural sound with the larger woofer.

I can't spend all the way up to the 8030's and those would take up too much space on the desk, but I could bump up to the 8020's for price and size. Unfortunately, the 8020's aren't stocked locally so I'd have to order them, but wanted to get some feedback before going through all the trouble.

So for low volume desktop use, is there a benefit to going up to the 8020's over the 8010's?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I think you would be better off getting a suitable subwoofer if you have room. And then do some actual measurement and correction with REW etc.

YSC

Major Contributor
I think you would be better off getting a suitable subwoofer if you have room. And then do some actual measurement and correction with REW etc.
I would say so too, adding a 7040A should be effortless and complete the lower end sound so the 8010 at low volume would sound much better, and it’s slim enough to tug just under the desk

BDE

Well, I own a pair of Genelec 8010 as well as 8020/ G2.
I updated my desk setup from 8010 to 8020. As I am listening low to medium levels for me now it is fine without a sub, but I do use individually created filters especially for the low end. For that EQing the 8010 offer to less headroom and lack of lows/ bass potential, so now they are acting as a soundbar replacement on TV. If I remember right the 8020/ G2 plays important 30Hz deeper than the 8010 in my setup (46Hz vs. 78Hz). Of cause a subwoofer will add more potential however I don`t have the space for it and like how easy a 2.0 system is to handle (filters, delay, phase).

Independently of the speakers you finally choose take a look at a tutorial of EQAPO and REW to measure and create filters, for me this is now standard and highly recommended.

movehome

When I was shopping for smaller desktop speakers, I compared the 8010's to Tannoy 402's. I prefered the 402's by far. They have a much fuller sound (more bass).

The size is nice too. Bigger than the 8010's but a lot smaller than the other ones you mentioned and other monitors. They also only cost $200 for a pair.

I was left thinking that Amir gave the 8010's too much credit in his review. Whether the 402's measure well or not doesn't matter too much to me since I have compared them to speakers that did measure well and I preferred the 402's.

Madlop26

I paired my 8010As with the not-too-large PreSonus Eris Sub 8, which have balance in and outs, and the sound is just amazing, this set up is the best music investment I've ever made; daily hours of music delight while working in my office.

Last edited:

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think either one (8010 or 8020) requires a sub to sound complete. Your decision should come down to SPL requirements, and should expect that neither will sound full bodied on their own.

Madlop26

When I was shopping for smaller desktop speakers, I compared the 8010's to Tannoy 402's. I prefered the 402's by far. They have a much fuller sound (more bass).

The size is nice too. Bigger than the 8010's but a lot smaller than the other ones you mentioned and other monitors. They also only cost $200 for a pair.

I was left thinking that Amir gave the 8010's too much credit in his review. Whether the 402's measure well or not doesn't matter too much to me since I have compared them to speakers that did measure well and I preferred the 402's.
Tannoy 402: 240 x 147 x 212 mm; 4 inch woofer
Genelec 8010A: 195 x 121 x 115 mm 3 inch woofer
Of course the bigger speaker will have more bass extension, is just physics.
What was priced about the 8010a was the great tonality in its range of domain, just add a subwoofer to complete it and you have a killer sound.

OP
J

Jarick

Well, I ordered a pair of open box 8020's to compare them. Hopefully they have them in stock as I could save about $125 compared to new. I'd rather roll the dice and see if there's an improvement now than wonder if I should have gone with the other ones forever.

Comparing Amir's graphs for the 8010 vs the 8320, the 8010 seems to have a bit of a boost around 150 Hz that the 8320 does not have, and the bass seems to roll off around 90 Hz compared to 75 Hz for the 8320 (Genelec website has them 2.5 dB down at 74 Hz for the 8010 and 62 Hz for the 8020). The 8020 also has double the amp power compared to the 8010, and has the same amp as the 8030. Not sure if that will make any difference for listening below 75 dB, but it can't hurt.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let us know how it goes. I’m curious.

OP
J

Jarick

The 8020's came in yesterday, and my initial impressions are that they improve upon the boxiness and somewhat recessed treble of the 8010's. For whatever reason, the 8010's seemed to have a bump in the low end right before the bass falls off, and they didn't wow me in terms of clarity. The 8020's have more low end extension, even though they don't have much sub bass, but I can clearly hear what's happening in the lows. Also, the midrange/treble seems clearer, and I don't know if that's the more powerful amps or just not having as much of a bass boost or what, but I appreciate it.

I won't say that the 8020's are shockingly good, but now they definitely feel like a big upgrade over the two cheaper monitors I had before. Everything I play sounds fairly neutral, there's no hype in the highs or lows. They aren't extremely revealing or anything, but I don't have a treated room so it doesn't have to be perfect.

So far I'm happy with these and will likely return the 8010's and use these for the indefinite future.

Here's the graphs I saw from Amir between the 8010's and the 8320's (assuming those are similar to 8020 without the correction), and it seems to corroborate what I'm hearing:

index.php

index.php

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the 8010 have that hump. Extension down to 70Hz flat is pretty good considering the size.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So there was another thread here written by someone disappointed by the 8010 where the output and bass was anemic and forced him to sit too close. Too close to have proper summing from the drivers.

I bet the 8020 largely solves these issues.

OP
J

Jarick

Yeah that may make sense. The 8010 seemed a bit weak both in the low and the high end. I wonder if the amps were too underpowered as well. The 8020 sound much better to me so far.

Also, I just ordered a Motu M4 to see if it improves the clarity at all. I am looking forward to having good metering to have better control over input and output levels, and the extra inputs and MIDI could come in handy if I ever get off my butt and do some recording again.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that may make sense. The 8010 seemed a bit weak both in the low and the high end. I wonder if the amps were too underpowered as well. The 8020 sound much better to me so far.

Also, I just ordered a Motu M4 to see if it improves the clarity at all. I am looking forward to having good metering to have better control over input and output levels, and the extra inputs and MIDI could come in handy if I ever get off my butt and do some recording again.
Can you get something with a pEq? I guess it depends on what you’re looking for.

If you’re just listening pEq can help your enjoyment. You can put in a Harmon curve. Bump up the bass a bit. Drop the treble a bit. That would make an audible difference and put you in the driver’s seat

I feel like it’s good to get a device that has the features you need and then those you don’t think you need until you try it.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
So there was another thread here written by someone disappointed by the 8010 where the output and bass was anemic and forced him to sit too close. Too close to have proper summing from the drivers.

I bet the 8020 largely solves these issues.
kind of wonders about the summing up issue, I am using 8030 in 80cm listening distance and summing up don't seem like an issue to me, the smaller 8010 shouldn'e have that problem IME, but maybe my ears are dumb

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
kind of wonders about the summing up issue, I am using 8030 in 80cm listening distance and summing up don't seem like an issue to me, the smaller 8010 shouldn'e have that problem IME, but maybe my ears are dumb
It’s very simple. When you turn your head or move your head do you hear tonality changes or “phasy” effects. If you do not. More power to you!

YSC

Major Contributor
It’s very simple. When you turn your head or move your head do you hear tonality changes or “phasy” effects. If you do not. More power to you!
Don’t really notice any, but maybe due to my space I can’t move around more than a few inches, and during using PC one won’t move around a lot.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
YES. Stay away from the 8010. The 8020 is the smallest Genelec I would recommend and I’ve had all of them in different setups over the years.

Top Bottom