• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ in ROON guidance

Womaz

21AB73B1-93B8-4A17-8AAE-58BA3AEE9579.png

Ok so as you can see I am a total novice with this . This is my very basic attempt to have a short term fix to my current room issues
in time I will look to do something on a more permanent basis.
I am trying to fix a bit of brightness and a boomy bass . Can I improve things further ?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
What is this based on?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes you need to acoustically measure first, REW and a microphone.
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

What is this based on?
Hmm not a lot really.
I read a little on EQ on the Roon forum from what I remember. I vaguely recall seeeing a chart about the impact of changing some EQ settings
I know its a crude attempt but it has improved things. Its definitely not as bright but I have definitely lost some of the bass impact.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm not a lot really.
I read a little on EQ on the Roon forum from what I remember. I vaguely recall seeeing a chart about the impact of changing some EQ settings
I know its a crude attempt but it has improved things. Its definitely not as bright but I have definitely lost some of the bass impact.
This is a good guide, but you need some form of calibrated measurement mic, like a UMIK-1.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Yes you need to acoustically measure first, REW and a microphone.
Keith
In the longer term I will adress the issues in a more permanent way, this is just a short term fix until I know how my Room will be decortated and furnished etc.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

This is a good guide, but you need some form of calibrated measurement mic, like a UMIK-1.

Thanks for the post.
Yes that is a good guide but I am a total novice and just dont have the time at this stage to investiagte this further. I will revist this page though.
Like I say at this stage I am sort of looking for a quick temporary fix

GDK

Forum Donor
Like I say at this stage I am sort of looking for a quick temporary fix
Then I would say play around until you find some settings that you like. It seems like you are on the right track.

Unfortunately, every room and speaker is different and therefore the community is likely to be of limited assistance without seeing some proper measurements, which would allow us to identify the issues you are having. We would simply be stabbing in the dark otherwise.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Then I would say play around until you find some settings that you like. It seems like you are on the right track.

Unfortunately, every room and speaker is different and therefore the community is likely to be of limited assistance without seeing some proper measurements, which would allow us to identify the issues you are having. We would simply be stabbing in the dark otherwise.
Yeah I understand and you are probably right
it was playing around a little that got me to the above and like I say it definitely has helped, especially with the brightness
i moved house and my new room is much smaller than my old room . I think maybe my speakers are too big for the new room , but for me they were a significant investment so they are staying . I will just have to work around them.
I will also read about using a mic etc .

SKBubba

Try changing the high frequncy eq from peak/dip to high shelf and adjust the frequecy till the "brightness" is gone, and make q something like .5 to make the slope smoother. On the bass, "boomy" is usually around 125hz as you have it set. Try increasing q to make the dip narrower.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Try changing the second one from peak/dip to high shelf and adjust the frequecy till the "brightness" is gone. On the bass, "boomy" is usually around 125hz as you have it set. Try increasing q to make the dip narrower.
Thank you.
I think I just about understand your post so yes I will try this and experiment a little

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In the longer term I will adress the issues in a more permanent way, this is just a short term fix until I know how my Room will be decortated and furnished etc.
Without measurement you are working in the dark, it is the first step, you can ( in the meantime before you buy a microphone) enter your room’s dimensions into an online room mode calculator,

That will give you an idea but not as accurate as measurement .
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

See my edit about q setting for high shelf.
It’s really difficult this
I think I prefer the bass left alone so have removed the band 2 setting
Band 1 is as shown . It has definitely toned down the brightness , but seems to have lost some of the life.
879ABDC8-4E35-4FE6-93F9-1A77BA7B84A8.png

OP
Womaz

Womaz

19F257BA-F9F9-4438-BB98-C60C8AA4CC03.png

So far I think I prefer this ……will keep experimenting
when I change it to high shelf it seems to lose a bit of life in the music

OP
Womaz

Womaz

I will have a read up on the roon guide to using this as I am only really adjustjng one band and there are 5 available so I need to investigate

I guess there is no quick fix

SKBubba

So far I think I prefer this ……will keep experimenting
when I change it to high shelf it seems to lose a bit of life in the music
Got it. The high shelf simulates a sort of rolloff, and it seems you have the issue in a particular band. You could still try adjusting the q to values less than one to smooth out the curve a little or increasing a little to zone in in a specific frequency.. But yes, doing it by ear is a lot of trial and error. Looks like you are getting it zoned in.

curiouspeter

I used to do "room correction" using Roon PEQ. I used REW with a miniDSP microphone to determine the peaks. It definitely helped, as I had a nasty room mode.

I suspected that I could do better, so I got RoomPerfect. Now it is MUCH better.

Yes, the cut at 3000 Hz will fix brightness. I created an EQ curve in case I want some warmth in certain music. However, I mostly listen to classical and I usually just go flat.

euge_lee

My favorite feature in Roon is the ability to use convolution filters. Check out homeaudiofidelity.com and with a measurement microphone using their tool, you can measure your room and send Thierry@HAF the info and he'll send you back professionally made corrections for your room. You don't even need to learn how to use REW. Best bang for the buck that I've found.

curiouspeter

My favorite feature in Roon is the ability to use convolution filters. Check out homeaudiofidelity.com and with a measurement microphone using their tool, you can measure your room and send Thierry@HAF the info and he'll send you back professionally made corrections for your room. You don't even need to learn how to use REW. Best bang for the buck that I've found.
Using REW to produce convolution filters for Roon is very convoluted.

Top Bottom