• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buffalo Audio Switch - What do you guys think about this product?

dartinbout

Is it made from the oil of organic snakes?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The internet is noisy and this device takes the noise away and you can hear more detail in the music. I am happy
Do you understand how the transmission of a digital waveform is engineered? What in the electrical waveform makes a one and a zero?

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If it the same price/quality as an ethernet switch, can't see much harm? Won't change how things sound.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha, nothing but a waste of money.

BolusOfDoom

The use case here is if you have multiple streams on one subnet. You have to keep them separate just like when, uh, two AM radio stations are too close together and the sermons get mingled.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The use case here is if you have multiple streams on one subnet. You have to keep them separate just like when, uh, two AM radio stations are too close together and the sermons get mingled.
I thought a switch solved that as compared to a general purpose non-switched hub.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know from Ghostbusters that you should never cross the streams.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No smiley - Poes law applies. :facepalm:

bquimby

I was once on a network troubleshooting conference call, back when I worked for a huge financial trading company, and we had a couple of engineers also present from the small trading exchange that we were connecting to, over leased-line. Data was getting dropped, we said they had issues on their network, they said it was our side. Impasse, and we were losing tens of thousands of dollars a day, so this joint troubleshoot was very important. Our senior network engineer for Europe (I'll call him "AJ") laid out our evidence for the problem being on their side, and when he'd finished, one of the other party's engineers (I'll call him "Twit") said:

"Well, maybe the IP addresses are too close together".

Long pause.

"I'm sorry...what?" AJ asked, bewildered.

Slight pause. "Well, you know," said Twit, "the last octet of the IP addresses for the upstream router and the downstream firewall are consecutive numbers, so maybe they're too...um...close together, and...er...interfering with...um...each...other..." He trailed off.

Another long pause while this sinks in. "So, you're saying, " AJ said slowly, his voice dripping with incredulity, "that these computers are getting...what? Confused? Misreading the addresses accidentally? The streams are getting crossed?" ("Never cross the streams," someone muttered, sotto voce).

Another pause. Then Twit's colleague breaks in: "Sorry, Twit had to take another call, he's dropped off". And we continued without him.

Inability to understand how computer networks function: there's a lot of it about, it seems, even for so-called professionals... :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Science already knows that crossing the streams is bad.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing. Any standard Ethernet switch will suffice for audio and video.
Well, one may object that depends the amount of audio or video you want to transfer and the latency you expect, somehow.

But for stereo audio or single standard FHD video stream, you're right.

For ms-range latency for 64 channels 24 bit 192kHz audio, you'd want a Gigabit ethernet manageable switch with some basic QoS parameters tuning.
Nothing special still: I use a model costing around 150€ including VAT.
And tuning takes less than 5 minutes. Once.

And, of course, either it's working. Either not.
No subtle nuance here.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
The firmware was coded using Roman numerals instead of the cold, digitalish hexadecimal or binary.

Roman numerals give a vintage, airy character to the soundstage.
Subtle but deadly. Props to you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately my desktop system is not resolving enough to reveal the 4 TP-Link managed switches between my PC and NAS. To make matters worse, I have aggregated links between some of the switches and bonded connections on the NAS, so it's pretty difficult to predict exactly which ley lines my music will cross on it's journey to my ears.

Top Bottom