• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Secrets" about the consumer audio business you may find interesting

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as I can remember (that's a long time: don't ask) somebody has objected to pineapple on pizza. Honestly though, I've seen more hate directed at anchovies.
Yes, and I don't like anchovies on pizza. Love pineapple though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anchovies could be eliminated from the universe as far as I’m concerned.
Noooo, you can’t have Worcester Sauce then! :)

D0BB7934-EAFD-4CD9-B2B5-42F6071853AF.jpeg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anchovies on pizza are delicious, I wish a few more people liked them so they'd show up on the list of available toppings at more pizzerias. The trick is to have just a bit of anchovy on each slice, the normal way is to plop an entire anchovy in the middle, but it's better to have small bit spread out somewhat. I love anchovy, but it's easy to overdo it.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Anchovies on pizza are delicious, I wish a few more people liked them so they'd show up on the list of available toppings at more pizzerias. The trick is to have just a bit of anchovy on each slice, the normal way is to plop an entire anchovy in the middle, but it's better to have small bit spread out somewhat. I love anchovy, but it's easy to overdo it.

Overdoing it is obviously a user preference. An anchovy on each slice (more or less) works for me. But because we are talking Napoli, the key question then is: olives or capers?

Last edited:

aslan7

I couldn’t agree more about Chinese manufacturing. Americans habitually denigrate Chinese products as cheap and inferior, but they demand cheap products to sell at Walmart and Target. How does it make sense to criticize China for producing what they want? Truth be told, the Chinese are great engineers and can make extremely high quality and innovative things at a great price. Topping is a case in point.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I couldn’t agree more about Chinese manufacturing. Americans habitually denigrate Chinese products as cheap and inferior, but they demand cheap products to sell at Walmart and Target. How does it make sense to criticize China for producing what they want? Truth be told, the Chinese are great engineers and can make extremely high quality and innovative things at a great price. Topping is a case in point.
Quality is, and always should be, a foundation for any purchasing decision. And frankly, the place of manufacture doesn't mean a hill of beans in that regard. But there is more than quality at stake. I have to live with my conscience as well. And between quality vs. conscience, I'll pick conscience every time. I've reached an age where I won't direct my money into regimes involved in blood diamonds (several West African countries), military aggression (Russia), or genocide (China), regardless the quality of their products. To each their own, everyone is free to make their own decisions and live with their own conscience, but there are deeper reasons why some of us choose selectively.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Quality is, and always should be, a foundation for any purchasing decision. And frankly, the place of manufacture doesn't mean a hill of beans in that regard. But there is more than quality at stake. I have to live with my conscience as well. And between quality vs. conscience, I'll pick conscience every time. I've reached an age where I won't direct my money into regimes involved in blood diamonds (several West African countries), military aggression (Russia), or genocide (China), regardless the quality of their products. To each their own, everyone is free to make their own decisions and live with their own conscience, but there are deeper reasons why some of us choose selectively.
Fair enough - but it is also worth keeping in mind, that most audio companies, regardless of which country, are small boutique businesses... with a handful of employees (if any) - and the money wouldn't be going to their government (good or bad), but in most cases to the business owner and his family.

The real impact on chinese manufacturing comes from mass produced goods, in large factories, you will typically find them under the well known western brand names - not chinese ones! Some examples: Quad, Musical Fidelity, Denon, Marantz, JBL, Monitor Audio.... the list goes on!

Frgirard

Major Contributor
But tell us, you use a computer, a smartphone, a whole bunch of products comprising all or parts of components made in China..."their own conscience, but there are deeper reasons why some of us choose selectively".

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Fair enough - but it is also worth keeping in mind, that most audio companies, regardless of which country, are small boutique businesses... with a handful of employees (if any) - and the money wouldn't be going to their government (good or bad), but in most cases to the business owner and his family.

The real impact on chinese manufacturing comes from mass produced goods, in large factories, you will typically find them under the well known western brand names - not chinese ones! Some examples: Quad, Musical Fidelity, Denon, Marantz, JBL, Monitor Audio.... the list goes on!
not only mass product. Apertura, loudspeaker manufacturer, has these enclosures manufactured in China.

aslan7

My final job was with a small Chinese company. I was very surprised at how critical they were of the regime and often made irreverent comments about it. When we got together with Chinese colleagues it was the same. So I don’t think we are sustaining a hostile political entity by purchasing products. As someone already noted, lots of top level Western companies produce in China.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The my that Chinese companies can't put out good products is a laughable American " story" born of nationalism..i understand not wanting to let China beat the Western countries in economic ventures , but you can blame walmart and amazon ( amongst many others) as the reason...

Descartes

Major Contributor
Great thank you, I also worked in the industry at one point in my career and I am amazed about the dealers margins!
- Speakers 40 - 50 points
- In wall speakers 60 - 70 points
- Audio electronics average 40 points
- TVs 30 points
- Cables anywhere between 80 to 90 points or more
- Accessories 90 points easy!

Top Bottom