• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem Arthur 4222/E1 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 77.8%

• Total voters

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi
A few questions, if you allow:

What power supply is this using ?

Is it the same that you use in the stereo version ?

With the 1ET400 versions, most (including Purifi themselves) are using the SMPS600 for the mono version and the SMPS1200 for the stereo.

How do they compare in reality ?
Is there a benefit of one vs the other ?
For sure I allow :D
It is using a SMPS1200A400.
We never made a mono version with the 1ET400A, the SMPS600 cooling is done by convection, this doesn't fit well with our case that was designed for cooling by conduction. So monoblocks would have used and SMPS1200, and would have costed almost the same as the stereo version without offering a lot more.
Actual benefit of the SMPS600 over the SMPS1200 is that it costs half ;). I have to admit that I never tested it due to the reason above.

Good build , lovely measurments but why are the speaker posts jammed together like that?
I like the orange front panel.
There happens to be a standard for binding posts spacing and we follow it :).
I guess the traditional class D haters ... :rolleyes:
I also happen to personally have a few haters who enjoy sending insults and various threats in a regular basis. Internet...
I don't see a need for Purifi mono amps at twice the price of stereo versions. It's also hard to justify the extra expense of the 1ET7040SA versus 1ET400 as they both sound great. This breaks down to diminishing returns for twice as much. If you can hear a difference your ears (or imagination) are better than mine. :D
Depends your speakers and listening habits. Clipping in a low load is quite audible.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In my opinion, there are both good reasons for, and against monoblock amplifiers. Single chassis stereo has advantages, just as dual chassis mono has considerable advantages.

There is no doubt however, if I was looking for a pair of Purifi mono implementations, these are the ones to buy. Your amplifiers will last you for decades, many decades, and coughing up for quality means you can focus on other things in life and just rest easy in the knowledge you decided to "buy once and buy well".

As it was said: 'The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten’

Well done Fred.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Do you see stereo version coming?

Glad to see this “better” Purifi finally tested. I am thinking about replacing my current Audiophonics Purifi hooked on electrostats. But do not want to have monoblocks.
So what don't you like about the Audiophonics amps? Do you expect the difference to be audible?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd suggest a better comparison would be between this and the March Audio P501, which is €1,674.56... they both use the 1ET7040SA in mono. However the boXem has the auto-signal on/off which March doesn't have.

JSmith
Yes depends a bit where in the world you are Boxem and Audiophonics is closest to me in Europe .
I would have personal preference for boxem , cant really explain why so it's probably irational , one factor is the lack of buffer board options and op amp choice and just sticking to one proven good design :)

pogo

Major Contributor
1664691778562.png
The many simple connectors, especially on the Purifi module, do not give me a good indication that the measured values can still be achieved after years. I would prefer such a Purifi mono block design: T+A M200 assembly video

According to the German trade press, currently the best sounding Purifi implementation.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There happens to be a standard for binding posts spacing and we follow it

Exactly. Every good quality multimeter and all test equipment follows the correct spacing.
IMG_0601.jpg

JHC

Forum Donor
So glad to see this review, the best part was the review sample is in BoXem Orange:) here is mine(4215/E2)...

B1.jpg

Also the audio sense function is something I can't live without these days, such convenience…

Last edited:

Fidji

So what don't you like about the Audiophonics amps? Do you expect the difference to be audible?
I love Audiophonics amps, have 15 channels of 9.5.6 powered by either Purifi or Hypex Audiophonics amps, I think this is best value on the market 700eur/Purifi and approx 400 eur/Hypex per channel. This combined with Trinnov AVP, that allows me to work with medium gain on Purifi.

Still - I would like to give my L-R a bit of an upgrade in terms of power/current available, as in stereo listening with my electrostats (0.8 ohm at 20kHz) it feels like they are very near the limit of what normal Purifi can provide. I do not expect anything audible, maybe just more headroom.

I was just waiting for new Purifi to be tested, looks like my Christmas wishlist got much more,precise.

Still it seems @boXem | audio is providing better value than Apollon Audio for the same module.

Most important feature though seems to very unobtrusive front LED… :) and no light coming from the unit itself, which is my only beef with Audiophonincs design.

Last edited:

CMB

Fred kindly left me one of its amplifiers once for testing over the WE. The build quality is really top notch, solid and beautiful to the eye and the touch. The audio-sence function works great and is a very useful feature.
I then went for an active monitor solution instead.
But, If I would ever be in need for an amplifier (still need to figure out that « need »), I would certainly and without hesitation go for BoXem.

Scytales

Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the German trade press, currently the best sounding Purifi implementation.
According to reality, this is obviously BS. And even to German press, it measured to be a sub-par performer.
Depends your speakers and listening habits. Clipping in a low load is quite audible.
My former Dyn Evokes could not agree more.;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still it seems @boXem | audio is providing better value than Apollon Audio for the same module.
They went all in with external power supply for the modulator and the large discrete opamps from Weiss, while using the new fancier chassis... Price skyrocketed.

The Arthur 4222/E1 here is a lot more minimalist still keeping the module's excellent measurements and an impeccable build. Sure there will be even cheaper options in the near future, but to me this is a nice sweet spot in value.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, so you have to buy two of these amps for a stereo setup which will be 3500 Euro in order to power your passive speakers - I suppose you gotta love passive speakers if you're going that route, lol! Do these offer enough power for "room sized" speakers, rather than "desktop speakers", they do right? Still expensive vs using active speakers.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice, but what justifies two times the price of the audiophonics monoblock?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Which is 19 mm in metric.
I remember years ago that American reviewers would complain when speakers didn't have terminals with ¾" (19 mm) spacing, so they couldn't use their usual connectors. I don't remember the same for amps, but it would make sense that the same applied.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

JohnnyNG

In my opinion, there are both good reasons for, and against monoblock amplifiers. Single chassis stereo has advantages, just as dual chassis mono has considerable advantages.
Along these lines if you don't mind...

Running 20' of Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP now. Worth it to go with a mono at each speaker (Revel M106) and cut that down to about 4' of speaker cable?

JohnnyNG

With the 1ET400 versions, most (including Purifi themselves) are using the SMPS600 for the mono version and the SMPS1200 for the stereo.
I've been trying to research the advantage of the 1200 over the 600 in a mono application with ET400 but only find Audiophonics using the SMPS600. It's used often in DIY I guess?

Top Bottom