• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8030C and KH120 - Subjective Listening Tests

jumper981

Hi to all!

In this week I tried both the KH120 and the 8030C models next to each one during production and mixing tests in a treated room.
Despite the measurements posted here on ASR, i was actually not that impressed by the Genelecs.
I’m a measurements guy and today for the first time I listened “timbre” differences between speakers that perform similar in measurements.

Listening test summary:

KH120:
Bass was really good and controlled (like “dry”), and actually not that “pumped” relying by the fact that it’s reflex-ported; seems was coming from a sealed one.
What actually surprised me about the KH120, was transients and details of the tweeter despite they have a somewhat “dark” timbre; every percussion and hats was coming out really defined on both transient and consistency of the spectrum, and while equalizing channels I was able to listen every small change in the equalizer (+- 0.3 dB)
Highs are a touch darker for my preference, I can describe them like “not coming from a ribbon” but I really really liked them.

8030C:
Bass was good and seemed deeper in frequency but a bit uncontrolled next to the Neumann.
What really doesn’t have a good impact on me was the highs (like on center frequency of 2K and disliked much the highest from 8K to 20K, probably for it’s metal dome, don’t know); they were likely not cohesive on listening test with professional masters done on Kii Three’s room and seemed much confused and not that clearly presented as the Neumann.

That is a highly subjective review, despite both of them were tested under the same conditions in the same period of time (3 days).
I actually have done some measurements of them in this room, for checking their accuracy to the measurements done here on ASR (my measurements was actually good next to the ASR measurements).

Don’t take this as a review of those speakers, but as a prove to myself that despite really good measurements (and they are fundamental), listening tests are also significant and you should pick the one that is good for you and not just for measurements.
I’m a “trained” listener.

Next is to try 8341A and KH310.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Much of your subjective descriptions don't mean much to me in any case....but preference is what it is.

OP
J

jumper981

Hi!
Actually I don’t think I saved them as it was just a quick checking for the room and positioning.
But if I’ll get there again I’ll make sure to save it.

OP
J

jumper981

Much of your subjective descriptions don't mean much to me in any case....but preference is what it is.

As I said It’s not meant to be a objective review, it was just a matter of my preference and it doesn’t have to be taked as a rule for everyone.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! Listening distance? Room size? Room treatment? Did you compare them level matched and changing from one to the other or in different days? Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said It’s not meant to be a objective review, it was just a matter of my preference and it doesn’t have to be taked as a rule for everyone.
I rarely take an objective review to be largely representative as I've found much goes the other way....much like I don't care what your particular tastes in food might be.

OP
J

jumper981

Hi! Listening distance? Room size? Room treatment? Did you compare them level matched and changing from one to the other or in different days? Thanks!

Hi, yes listening distance was between 1m and 1.5m.
Room size was quite small for a “studio” and have good treatment there.
Yes was comparing on with a switch on a monitor controller.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have noticed this as well comparing the two. Like you, I'm a mixer. Genelecs often sound surprisingly uncontrolled in the low end. I don't know why this is, but I've certainly noticed it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, yes listening distance was between 1m and 1.5m.
Room size was quite small for a “studio” and have good treatment there.
Yes was comparing on with a switch on a monitor controller.
How did you level match?

OP
J

jumper981

I rarely take an objective review to be largely representative as I've found much goes the other way....much like I don't care what your particular tastes in food might be.

That’s why I wrote “subjective” review in the title actually, so I don’t get it why you keep commenting there.
In either case it’s not meant to offend anyone.
I just thought that maybe would help someone to listen them first instead of relaying only on measurements.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s why I wrote “subjective” review in the title actually, so I don’t get it why you keep commenting there.
In either case it’s not meant to offend anyone.
I just thought that maybe would help someone to listen them first instead of relaying only on measurements.
Just to point out why your subjective review is of such limited use....and how did you level match?

OP
J

jumper981

How did you level match?
There were some trimmers on the monitor controller (that was active), matched quickly with spl on pink noise.

EDIT:

Monitor controller was Mackie big knob studio+.

Last edited:
OP
J

jumper981

Forgot to answer about days:
they have actually a room with only relatively small monitors and Genelec mains (in-wall,1237A?, don’t remember actually)
They were all positioned there on all the 3 days, this room serve it’s purpose just for mixing.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A professional mixing engineer gives a brief description of his impressions of two well regarded monitors, makes no outlandish claims, states plainly that it is just his subjective opinion, and gets criticized for it? Why? If he starts claiming that switching to $600 cables improved the bass, or adding a power conditioner lifted veils, then by all means, call him out, but "science review" does not mean we can't state our own experiences, as long as we're not claiming unproven theories as facts. If you don't find it useful, then why not just move on to the next thread?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A professional mixing engineer gives a brief description of his impressions of two well regarded monitors, makes no outlandish claims, states plainly that it is just his subjective opinion, and gets criticized for it? Why? If he starts claiming that switching to $600 cables improved the bass, or adding a power conditioner lifted veils, then by all means, call him out, but "science review" does not mean we can't state our own experiences, as long as we're not claiming unproven theories as facts. If you don't find it useful, then why not just move on to the next thread?

Indeed. Initial reactions here were bizarre. Of course it's fine to state subjective perceptions, as long as one is clear that this is what one does, as OP very clearly did.

Much more interesting than "please don't post this" is to engage in a discussion about why he heard those differences. Were they real or imagined? If they were real, what can account for the differences? Etc.

Top Bottom