• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I "feel" the sound more with floorstanding speakers vs bookshelves?

Dal1as

If you want to feel that chest bump like you would in a small jazz rock club you need a good sub array and good time alignment along with a good bass curve for your room.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
If you want to feel that chest bump like you would in a small jazz rock club you need a good sub array and good time alignment along with a good bass curve for your room.
Or a Devastaor or two. :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There is still a LOT of power needed for the mid-bass, especially if you are watching something with over the top bass and SPL like most of Nolan's stuff.

Christopher Nolan's stuff makes me turn off the TV, HiFi and go to bed.

I will never waste my time on his garbage films ever again. Done with his complete lack of understanding when it comes to sound. That absolute steaming pile, Tenet was the absolute last straw for me. Dunkirk was total crap and Interstellar could have been decent without the soundtrack and mixing. I'm convinced he actually must has some form of hearing impairment.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
All that "feel" you mean,if I understand correctly comes from 100-300Hz.
That is the advantage of the big 3-ways with the large woofers crossed at 200-300-400Hz.
And there's no substitute to that feel.It's what balances the whole thing and makes it sound in the right proportions.

Edit:whole,not hole.
Good floorstanders produce good midbass. Bookshelf and subwoofers do not.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I will never waste my time on his garbage films ever again. Done with his complete lack of understanding when it comes to sound. That absolute steaming pile, Tenet was the absolute last straw for me. Dunkirk was total crap and Interstellar could have been decent without the soundtrack and mixing. I'm convinced he actually must has some form of hearing impairment.
Yeah, Tenet was somehow simultaneously unwatchable AND unlistenable lol. A real tour de force of filmmaking.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Jazz rock clubs don't utilize time alignment. They use sub "arrays".

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Not a fan of Tenet or Interstellar but will be eternally grateful for his definitive Batman trilogy.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Interstellar could have been decent without the soundtrack and mixing. I'm convinced he actually must has some form of hearing impairment.
I think that's on Zimmer's side.It's like following a pattern if you study his work.
He has a weird view for grandeur that sometimes works,sometimes not.

Clarity was never a strong point,just listen the Da Vinci Code soundtrack.
Of course no one denies he's a genius in his actual work.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember folks, a microphone measures sound pressure, it does not measure tactile response. So, conventional SPL responses are not going to explain this. Tactile response is more related to sound intensity, which can increase with things like ports. This is why a ported sub typically has more tactile response than a sealed, for the same SPL.

So, probably the F208's lower port tune is creating higher sound intensity around the port tune frequency, which induces tactile response/mechanical vibration to things that respond at those lower frequencies.

After I realized this, I added a near-field ported mid-bass subwoofer to my system to complement my sealed subs. My SPL vs. frequency response didn't change much (after miniDSP/MSO integration), but I have a ton of TR now that I didn't have before.
This is it right here. Can’t look at a graph and figure out how it will feel.

It’s like how they say there’s no replacement for displacement about cars. There’s no replacement for proper volume in an enclosure. Towers just make sense giving volume from otherwise unused space.

Why buy and place a stand where you could have had volume for those drivers to work with some sense of ease?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no replacement for displacement.

My main left and right speakers have dual 8” woofers and my two subs are 15”. I love the tactile impact of a good action movie; it’s even better at THX reference levels. Interstellar is amazing on my system.

My stereo speakers have dual 9” woofers in a hybrid transmission line. I love the physical impact they bring to well recorded rock.

I’ve owned bookshelves but much prefer big floor standers.

Martin

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped reading after the highlighted sentence :facepalm:

There may be several monitor systems on the market that you can trust as far as the frequency response goes. But what about the atmospherics which an artist creates? What about the subtle movements of the air around the artist?
Can the true message from the artist really reach you if the system fails to capture this air movement?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no replacement for displacement.

My main left and right speakers have dual 8” woofers and my two subs are 15”. I love the tactile impact of a good action movie; it’s even better at THX reference levels. Interstellar is amazing on my system.

My stereo speakers have dual 9” woofers in a hybrid transmission line. I love the physical impact they bring to well recorded rock.

I’ve owned bookshelves but much prefer big floor standers.

Martin
Another interesting thing I heard from an audiophile mentor when I was much younger.

He related bass power to “automotive” power. I guess in a place where people used 2HP mopeds to get around and the motorcycles were limited to 12HP it makes sense.

Top Bottom