• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first and special Hi Fi system

operation

Hello,

I would like to have your help setting up my first hi fi system. As you can imagine, I'm a big noob, and I don't know much about this subject. One thing I know, I enjoy, like the most of you, to listen to music with a good sound quality. This is why I want to build a nice Hi Fi system.

I'm thinking of buying a pair of speakers Elac debut b6.2. Why you ask, well because I found that they are recommended by whathifi website. If you think I should go to other speakers, please feel free to tell me.

About the AMP, I have no ideia. I found some recomendation that are good with these speakers, for instance Cambridge Audio AXR100 and YAMAHA A-S701, but I don't know if they are the best option.

The thing is, I will probably listen to music over bluetooth (streaming services, or music in PC) and I would like to have the best system in this regard. I have a fiio bta30 pro that allows me to transmitir data using the LDAC codec. I could buy another one as a DAC (LDAC receiver).

Could you please help me and sugest some options?
By the way, most of the times I listen to heavy metal songs, I don't know if this speakers are good for that or not.

Thank you in advance,

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First you must tell us about the room, the listening distance and roughly how loud you want to play music. This information is needed to find a matching speaker (and amplifier if you want to go the passive way which I would not recommend as long as budget is limited).

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

I would like to have your help setting up my first hi fi system. As you can imagine, I'm a big noob, and I don't know much about this subject. One thing I know, I enjoy, like the most of you, to listen to music with a good sound quality. This is why I want to build a nice Hi Fi system.

I'm thinking of buying a pair of speakers Elac debut b6.2. Why you ask, well because I found that they are recommended by whathifi website. If you think I should go to other speakers, please feel free to tell me.

About the AMP, I have no ideia. I found some recomendation that are good with these speakers, for instance Cambridge Audio AXR100 and YAMAHA A-S701, but I don't know if they are the best option.

The thing is, I will probably listen to music over bluetooth (streaming services, or music in PC) and I would like to have the best system in this regard. I have a fiio bta30 pro that allows me to transmitir data using the LDAC codec. I could buy another one as a DAC (LDAC receiver).

By the way, most of the times I listen to heavy metal songs, I don't know if this speakers are good for that or not.

Thank you in advance,
First advice would be careful of what you read on whathifi. They are very subjective and funded by advertising. However both the Elac and Yamaha you mention are well regarded by most members here. Can you provide a budget? What source will you use? How big a room? Where are you located? The more specific you can be about your use case the better the advice you’ll get.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
Budget?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please just tell me you're not putting the speakers on a small desk....
And live in a basement… and want to recreate the sound of your car… and have no friends… did I forget something?

Sorry, not much more input so far, many good suggestions given. You may also consider second hand to get good bang for buck.

Anyway: welcome!

OP
O

operation

Thank you all for your quick replies. Very active community, that is wonderful.

So, I will give you all the information requested:

- Max Budget 1500€ (It is a lot for me, but I'm willing to go a bit further if the system is worth the money and reliable for years)
- Distance from speakers (2 m)
- Room size +-20m^2
- Passive or Active (actually I don't know, I will follow your suggestion)
- Sound level (normal, I don't need a system that is very loud)
- What source will you use (I don't know if I get this question, but I would say Bluetooth mostly)
- Please just tell me you're not putting the speakers on a small desk.... (No, I'm not planning to put them in a small desk, but sorry about my ignorance, would it be bad if I did?)

Thank you about the advice regarding whathify.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please just tell me you're not putting the speakers on a small desk.... (No, I'm not planning to put them in a small desk, but sorry about my ignorance, would it be bad if I did?)
Apologies, something of a wry joke based on some very recent threads that have some of us reeling.

Directly on a desk, bad. Decoupled on small stands etc, golden.

Joe Smith

I like the Elacs a lot, but there might be some better options if your main music is going to be metal. Particularly if you are looking for lower (not sub) bass in that size of room. They are a good speaker for the money, though. Any chance for you to audition them before you buy?

Yamaha...good amp...can't go wrong with it...other options abound of course.

I'm sure there will be lots of options in the active speaker category...I don't use actives...depending on your budget, might be a better fit for metal.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, that helps. So what about Kali IN8 v2 for af active system. You can pair them with a simple DAC that also has Bluetooth. That lets you hook up a PC via USB, some other player via coax or optical, and your phone or tablet via Bluetooth. Should all be will within your budget. Or a more streamer oriented device like Yamaha WXC-50.

Genelec 8030C should also just fit the budget. It’s a more refined speaker, will not get as loud and play as low as the Kali, but may look better. A sub may be a good addition though.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Oh yeah, and use speaker stands. We've all spend the better part of three days trying to convince another guy that putting $2,000 speakers on a desk with no sound isolation or proper positioning is a BAD thing...

If you can get good active speakers, then you save on the amp, or course, and can maybe put a little more $ toward sources/BT/streaming input.

DMill

Possibly consider a subwoofer if you go with the ELACs or pretty much any other speaker you choose in your budget. For stand mounts they dig pretty deep, but I would say you’ll want sub, if not now, at some point in the future. Get the speakers first, give them a listen and see if you feel you need more bass. Plenty of good subs out there for $500ish.

Pick your speakers first. Then everything else kind of falls into place around them.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Thank you all for your quick replies. Very active community, that is wonderful.

So, I will give you all the information requested:

- Max Budget 1500€ (It is a lot for me, but I'm willing to go a bit further if the system is worth the money and reliable for years)
- Distance from speakers (2 m)
- Room size +-20m^2
- Passive or Active (actually I don't know, I will follow your suggestion)
- Sound level (normal, I don't need a system that is very loud)
- What source will you use (I don't know if I get this question, but I would say Bluetooth mostly)
- Please just tell me you're not putting the speakers on a small desk.... (No, I'm not planning to put them in a small desk, but sorry about my ignorance, would it be bad if I did?)

Thank you about the advice regarding whathify.

Because I don't know the prices of specific equipment where you are from it is hard to be specific however I would offer some general thoughts:

Consider a subwoofer (regardless of your choice of other gear). Dollar for Dollar this will give you a great experience in low bass which is great in heavy metal music.
Quality over wired is still better than LDAC but easy for your to do your own A/B testing on.
Try to get speakers that have at least a 6.5 inch bass/mid driver. This will give you a better tactile experience.
Be very careful whose advice you take on this subject and even more careful who you give your money to :)
Have fun

Should be required reading for anyone starting down your (our) path:

http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic_web1.htm#acl

Robert C

Try to audition a range of speakers at a hi-fi shop(s), then check the measurements of the ones you like to see which ones provide objectively good performance to back up your subjective preferences.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Try to audition a range of speakers at a hi-fi shop(s), then check the measurements of the ones you like to see which ones provide objectively good performance to back up your subjective preferences.

This is good advice to hear what a speaker may be capable of but do keep in mind it will sound different when you put it in your own room at home (because room acoustics are a very significant part of what you will experience). Sometimes sounding so different that it would change your mind on selection. A good HiFi salesperson will be able to influence what you think you are hearing....:facepalm:,

Robert C

Consider also that bluetooth will be inferior to something like Spotify Connect. So perhaps consider a streaming device that can receive WLAN data directly from the streaming app, rather than having to go via a bluetooth conversion. An example might be a WiiM Mini connected to the digital optical input of a Yamaha amplifier.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For your budget Genelec 8030's, Topping EXE5. Done

That gives you awesome top end speakers, a great balanced DAC with decent headphone amp and includes BT and you won't need speaker stands. Later add a sub.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 4610383.jpg
    4610383.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Top Bottom