• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sutherland KC Vibe MK2 Phono Stage Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 38.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I Use the same design with my custom Phone Pre. The A1 has a dual JFET PN4393 amp and the A2 has a very low noise/low distortion opamp. with a dual 15V PS i have very nice dynamic headroom

About 35 years ago I once made a hybrid pre-amp with passive < 1kHz filtering and active > 1kHz filtering with selectable load (capacitance + resistance) but do not play vinyl and is gathering dust on the attic.

phono pre.JPG

Just found the schematic.

schematic phono.JPG

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Garrard Music Recovery Module was one such hardware box. As I recall, it used an analogue delay line and threshold detector to cut out the clicks. I've never heard one in operation, but they never particularly caught on.
S.
That is how I know that it can be done as I used to own one. It worked! BTW, Mr. Carver also had a unit under the SAE brand but it sounded horrible.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Shure's figure of 70 were for the outliers, the main bulk of their measurements was clustered around 10-20cm/sec. That stacks up with what my PPM is indicating on most of my LPs. The PPM I use is a DIY design, using the display of a Velleman VU indicator with the rectifier and time constants changed to match the Type 1 PPM spec. This has a faster rise time than the Type 2 PPM in general use in the UK, and is the more commonly used one in Europe. It is still a quasi-peak indicator rather than true-peak, so will underindicate on very short peaks, especially at high frequencies.

I've set the output level of my phono stages to give 0dBu (0.775v) out at 5cm/sec recorded velocity at 1kHz, and my PPM goes to full scale at +15dBu, and only a few LPs ever get to that level, most peak at around +10dBu, so something around 15cm/sec. It does go to show, however, that unlike digital that has a fixed 0dBFS maximum, LPs can be cut at whatever level the cutting engineer decided was a good compromise between playing time, noise and distortion. I have a few compilation LPs, Sounds of the '60s, that sort of thing, that cram 30 minutes playing time onto one side, and the level is quite low, with the corresponding noise quite high, but it doesn't matter much considering the compressed nature of the music.

As there's no standard for maximum cutting levels, and given Shure's measurements, an absolute minimum of 20dB overload would be indicated as necessary, with 25dB preferable.

S.
Thanks. Yes, 20-25 dB seems to be a good standard. It so happens that the Pro-Ject manages 25 dB (95/5 mV).

The thing with CD, of course, is that there's no trade-off between playing time and maximum volume/dynamic range. You use the same 16 bits * 44.1 kHz * 2 regardless.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
How about a knurled knob? I have three or four phono stages hanging around. None at a thousand dollars. And all but a Dyna uses a knurled knob for a grounding point. I think a couple of them even have a hole in the post for bare wire. Very easy to manipulate.

Sure, it's a little thing. But for a Grover Cleveland, I expect something a little more user friendly than a Phillips head screw direct into the chassis. That exudes cheapness. And I'm guessing they don't even throw in a screwdriver for that price! :)
Look at pics of the Pro-Ject. A nice little metal knurled knob, with a slot in case you want to tighten it further with a screwdriver. <https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-s2-ultra/>

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

aschen

digital domain click remover:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
digital domain click remover:

It looks like they were committed to vinyl amplification. However, none of their models are available to buy. I hope they will sort their supply issues.

They are a Silicon Valley startup.

It’s a shame that after 8 years they are basically not on the market, especially as they were aiming to sell the company 2 years ago. This market is difficult.

There is glowing review. Anyone can rate this review site?

The SugarCube has a place in any mid to high end system, and makes playing back much loved but well worn vinyl a real joy. It also has a place in archival, where its algorithm can compete with the very best automated click repair solutions and produce professional quality digital transfers. There really are no downsides aside perhaps from premature wear of the playback stylus. As such having a second cartridge or stylus on hand to play heavily damaged discs is probably advisable. The SugarCube enhances the listening experience with vinyl old and new, and for that it earns a thoroughly deserved recommendation. Vinyl has never sounded so sweet.

Last edited:

aschen

I think a tough market place. The venn diagram intersection of enthusiasts willing to spend a lot on LP reproduction and are not scared of dsp is a small sliver methinks.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you digitise you can analyse the waveform. Ticks have fast rise and fall times. In music almost always the fall times are slow due to reverberation, acoustic or artificial. It is perfectly possible to detect such fast decaying pulses (ticks) and limit their amplitude without using a general limiter. Such process will not affect the music and should be transparent.

There are various audio software that does that as an offline process but I have not heard any hardware that does it in real time. If I will be paying 3+ digits I demand this.
AFAIK the Parks Audio Puffin does this and many more useful things.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is questionable how they will can the ticks in the digital domain when the amplifier clips earlier, don’t you think?
AFAIK the PAP has a linear ampifier stage only before the ADC and its gain can be adjusted such that the ADC does not clip. RIAA is done by DSP.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK the PAP has a linear ampifier stage only before the ADC and its gain can be adjusted such that the ADC does not clip. RIAA is done by DSP.
Then this was due to the output clipping?

1664566088118.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Packburn was the professional's choice. I am surprised to find they are still around. Stanton 500 on the home page!

Different type of fish to a phono amplifier but it is very assuring to see that such a niche manufacturer survives 25 years in the audio industry.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Look at this gorgeous piece of (legacy) Sutherland preamplifier. Love the Nixies and the philosophy.

1664594927696.png

1664595049704.png

Notice every IC is socketed. A few dollars for machine pin sockets and repairs are a breeze down the track. :)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it me or the MC output is flat? What was it used for?

I already had 2 TT back in those days (Technics and Thorens) one with MM and 1 with MC.
Therefor I needed 2 inputs and one line out. (so 6 RCA) but only had a 4 or 8 RCA connector block at hand.
My (also own design) pre-amp only had 1MM input so I could also use the MC with that input should it ever be needed.
Loop through was not needed as it has a switch on the front.
phono front.JPG

Top Bottom