• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

m33 , and kef r3 what cross over settings i should use?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think what everyone on here is saying is that we don't recommend you buy new speakers, so we're not going to encourage you to just throw more money at the problem without using what you have ($8000 worth) in a better way.

Sokel

Master Contributor
even without bass car sounds much better thats what i try to show here.

am currently considering Focal kanta 1,sopra 1, diablo utopia,
bowers and wilkinsons 805 d4,
kef reference 1 meta, which one do you like the most. ?
Dear bladest the only way to make you understand what the friends here try to say is this:

Forget about other speakers,your main speaker is YOUR ROOM.
If you don't put them as they must be even 1.000.000 euro speakers will sound like shit.

So.Put them so they aim at you.Try the curves that people tell you and FORGET ABOUT YOUR CAR,it's a DIFFERENT ROOM.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is the only other thing that could be an issue, but from the graphs from @voodooless , he doesn't have a sucked out midrange @ 1.5K

Shadow%20Flare.png

Kef%20R3%20Response%20Variance%20per%20Shadow%20Flare%20Position.png

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you put them on some sort of foam like this?

~ $20 USD at Amazon.
If you can’t find it like that, maybe a piece of foam for mattress topper or something similar?
Won’t fix everything but might help.
06CEA6F8-1676-4E91-BC55-972DBEE9C748.jpeg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
i have not ignored anything

You are *literally* ignoring every piece of advice on this thread.

If you cannot, or will not try out the simple checks and tests that have been suggested, no-one here can help you.

Once again, I am out. I suggest this is the only sane option here.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Regardless of the sincerity of the OP - I dont believe anything any member says on these multitudinous threads is helping either our cause or that of the OP.

I suggest we all refrain from further engagement. Neither legit advice nor (understandable) sarcasm and mockery is having any impact.

Someone said this is performance art. They might be right, but it certainly is a performance.

EDIT- but just in case he listens this final time

to the OP- disable any crossover settings you may have set up on the M33- you dont have a sub and only a single amp so the crossover needs to be done by the passive XO on the r3 with the control knobs fully tightened down. Dont try bi wiring- just one run of cable from one set of the speaker outs to one set of the speaker terminals.

Agree completely. How do you shut off notifications on threads in which you have posted?

irontortoise

Can I say, as a new member, that I’m impressed with the level of sincere, genuine support and advice members of ASR are giving, in what is the Kobyashi Maru of threads. I love you guys!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree completely. How do you shut off notifications on threads in which you have posted?
Unwatch. Somewhere near the top on 1st page

Edit way too slow on the draw.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Let me guys ask about something several of you have mentioned a couple times and perhaps I can actually learn a bit too.

On the one hand, It has been mentioned that the R3 are not good speakers for nearfield aplications. What distance should we consider that? 1 meter away or less? More perhaps?

The other element is vibration transmitted to the table. Do shelves (on bookshelves) work the same or do actual mass like books around the speaker counter that? On the other hand, if the front of the speaker protrudes a bit from the bookshelves, do we also mitigate those effects?

Midnight Audiophile

The other element is vibration transmitted to the table. Do shelves (on bookshelves) work the same or do actual mass like books around the speaker counter that? On the other hand, if the front of the speaker protrudes a bit from the bookshelves, do we also mitigate those effects?

The video below has a pretty cool demo of how shelves, tables, etc. can act as a soundboard. A soundboard gets its energy from and resonates with the same frequencies as the source. As the soundboard distributes this energy over a larger volume of air, the sound is amplified.

gumblag

Let me guys ask about something several of you have mentioned a couple times and perhaps I can actually learn a bit too.

On the one hand, It has been mentioned that the R3 are not good speakers for nearfield aplications. What distance should we consider that? 1 meter away or less? More perhaps?

'Book shelve speaker' it's a concept to describe the appearance of a speaker. The concept has been updated: 'Speakerstand speaker' or something like that, as opposed to floorstanders. The R3 had to be about 85 cm from the backwall to sound wonderful. I had to be more than a one and a half meter away from the baffle of the speakers, which means the speakers themselves had to be the same distance apart from each other, meaning more than one and a half meter, to get a decent sound from the R3s. Also, the tweeter must be at ear height, another reason to use speaker stands. Nearfield to me is something like the depth of a desk; about one meter at maximum. As the sound quality of speakerstand speakers ameliorate so do their analytic qualities. Which means speakerstand speakers will expose vulnerabilities in sound quality related to the room, the audio system itself and the recipient.

gumblag

Speakers will be extremely close to my monitors and i really dont have space.
the only option is to buy stands and fit them in my new home when i will get in 5 years time,

left speaker is very close to the door and lcd monitor rightr is extremely close to the amplifier it self...

i have not ignored anything i was adviced to get kef r3
to receive/ night and day difference over naim muso 2,

i was also adviced to go purifi amp, which is quite expensive in order to be able to properly power kef r3 and to receive another day and night difference,so i made all of these...
if i ignored it i will be staying with my muso 2... instead of getting ultra expensive amplifier + speakers...
i have read manuals and i also contacted kef and nad support several times.
i also provided demo from my car without sound isolation for same song etcs..
i can provide simular video from mark levinson but not sure if i can do it today.

Music demos i have recorded and provided are with Dirac live, enabled, after making measures for few hours in order to make the best possible measures.

i was with all in one naim muso 2 solution,
which i have sold, and i have bought kef r3 to get day and night difference i dont plan to go back to active speakers, because i already have spend 6000$ for nad m33 amplifier, if i get another active speakers what i will do with the amp, collect dust|?
i cant sale it for 2 years at least... so....
thats not a good solution i am looking for speakers to upgrade kef r3.... why no one tells me which is way better ?

I am currently considering Focal kanta 1,sopra 1, diablo utopia,
bowers and wilkinsons 805 d4,
kef reference 1 meta, which one do you like the most. ?

Thats the questions i want to receive answer?
1 simple question 1 simple answer?

Yes everything is scam in order to drain from you more money.

Car have in the trunk extremely small speaker for sub only 1 kef have 2 speakers for sub
car have 10inch speaker in the trunk.
Your description of what you did not ignore is confined to what you have purchased, you've proven my point. The list of suggestions you ignored as much longer. In the meantime, your Kef R3s are still (too) close to the backwall, they're not toed in, they are still standing on your desk.... We don't read anything about your experiences and judgements of different ways of setting up your audio system. You keep asking questions about the quality of different devices in audio systems, although you're repeatedly advised to listen for yourself. You're surpassing any indicators of subjectivity of others or your own when judging devices. Your obsession of reference quality of the devices is here at play I presume. For your interest: Never thought of a reference for quality of sound treatment of a room or a reference for quality of placements of devices for that matter?
An example of how well you understand manuals, since you claim you've read them: Kef delivers a short manual with their speakers in which is also explained when and how to use the plugs for the bass ports and expected effects when in use. And even if a manual was lacking; use your own ears: Use your own ears despite a manual! But aside of the presence of a manual, you keep asking questions about the use of these plugs!
Your gratitude expressed by holding the suggestions of forum members against them, is less appreciated as I understand. Rightfully so since you deny ignoring other suggestions of the same members of this forum as well.
The impulsivity, excitation with obsession, the (also changing) preconceived ideas, the way you appreciate the members of this forum, a lack of reflection of your own involvement. There is little congruency in your arguments. Your validating of devices; it is either cheap Chinese crap or it is reference quality (as you say you need so badly). This does not help you; it obstructs you in achieving your goals.
And finally, my simple answer to your simpel question: You're the one who has to like them, opinions of others are irrelevant (otherwise you'll make them irrelevant).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom