• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

m33 , and kef r3 what cross over settings i should use?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You beat me to it @voodooless. Makes one wonder what this means for the applied Dirac corrections. They must be massive.
Actually, the default Dirac of the M33 is not the full-range version. They scam you out of another $99 for that :facepalm:. So none of the off-axis shit is actually corrected.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I cant make speakers to be in the position to me because they will colide with the amp and other things i have in my desk.... so its kinda impossible...
they are very close together.... if i put them that direction waves of the sound will be absorbed via the amp... and other things will be in their way...
People are here giving freely of their time and effort to try and help you. You bring up problems and simple solutions are offered, but you can’t implement them due to obscure reasons that don’t gel with the evidence from your own videos. You do have space to pull your speakers forward and then toe them in so your listening position is more of a triangle. I see the space in your videos. Yes, your seat might have to be moved back making it inconvenient to work closely to your screen, but please don’t insult my intelligence with talk of sound colliding with your amp and other things (cables, mobile phone, laptop!) on your desk.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Spend $30 on some longer cables and try it. Anything 12 guage/ 2.5mm2 or bigger will suffice.

Don't spend 1000's on new speakers until you've solved the problems using the R3s. It will be money down the toilet.
Speakers will be extremely close to my monitors and i really dont have space.
the only option is to buy stands and fit them in my new home when i will get in 5 years time,

left speaker is very close to the door and lcd monitor rightr is extremely close to the amplifier it self...
You've started 12 threads concerning your 'journey in HiFi world'. You've got tons of advice and ignored a lot of it. You've ignored advice like reading manuals which is obvious otherwise you would have asked different questions. Neither do you trust your ears. Your obsession with 'reference quality' on one hand and the qualification you apply to everything else on the other. It's not the system you have problems with as far as the sound producing part is concerned, it is the medium and or the recipient, or both. As far as the medium is concerned, I would suggest you apply the proposed advice and then apply Dirac Live. As far as the recipient is concerned..... You started so many threads and they all deal with one topic which could have had a title like "I want to change my audio setup' or something general like that. And then describe the criteria of your needs/wishes, availability, financial and what not, instead of starting a new thread as soon as you think you need advice/answers about questions which seem to boil up as if overpowering your mind. It looks all quite impulsive.
My experience with the KEF R3. They are not nearfield speakers. And if you want them to use them as such any way, you'll need speakerstands; the desk is not suitable for the KEF R3s; it will resonate, act as a soundboard and be of negative influence on the sound dispersion and -refraction. The Kef R3s need to be at least 22 cm away from the back wall. I had them 85 cm from my backwall to let them sound very nice, therefore I used them for midfield listening and they did a hell of a good job too! You'll have to toe the R3s in and be seated right in the middle between, and as far away from, the speakers as they're standing away from each other. In your video the KEF R3s sound terrible indeed. If it is not the recording, it's a challenge I'd say.
I probably would have gone for an active speakersystem considering the available listening space visible in your video and I would then still be in need of stands for the speakers, anyway.
I guess you've end up spending more money on a drain then there is left to throw down into it. But maybe somewhat comforting thoughts: What if on one day you hear the best sound quality and find out that you don't like it? Is the system to blame you're not liking is, or the room, or are you, or all three, or just two? And what if on one day the sound you like most is not the best sound quality? Is the system to blame, or the room, or are you, or all three, or just two?

i have not ignored anything i was adviced to get kef r3
to receive/ night and day difference over naim muso 2,

i was also adviced to go purifi amp, which is quite expensive in order to be able to properly power kef r3 and to receive another day and night difference,so i made all of these...
if i ignored it i will be staying with my muso 2... instead of getting ultra expensive amplifier + speakers...
i have read manuals and i also contacted kef and nad support several times.
i also provided demo from my car without sound isolation for same song etcs..
i can provide simular video from mark levinson but not sure if i can do it today.

Music demos i have recorded and provided are with Dirac live, enabled, after making measures for few hours in order to make the best possible measures.

i was with all in one naim muso 2 solution,
which i have sold, and i have bought kef r3 to get day and night difference i dont plan to go back to active speakers, because i already have spend 6000$ for nad m33 amplifier, if i get another active speakers what i will do with the amp, collect dust|?
i cant sale it for 2 years at least... so....
thats not a good solution i am looking for speakers to upgrade kef r3.... why no one tells me which is way better ?

I am currently considering Focal kanta 1,sopra 1, diablo utopia,
bowers and wilkinsons 805 d4,
kef reference 1 meta, which one do you like the most. ?

Thats the questions i want to receive answer?
1 simple question 1 simple answer?

Actually, the default Dirac of the M33 is not the full-range version. They scam you out of another $99 for that :facepalm:. So none of the off-axis shit is actually corrected.
Yes everything is scam in order to drain from you more money.

It's very likely that the car has a gigantic 20dB bass lift, and the ruler flat R3's sound anemic in comparison.

Car have in the trunk extremely small speaker for sub only 1 kef have 2 speakers for sub
car have 10inch speaker in the trunk.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Speakers will be extremely close to my monitors and i really dont have space.
the only option is to buy stands and fit them in my new home when i will get in 5 years time,

left speaker is very close to the door and lcd monitor rightr is extremely close to the amplifier it self...

i have not ignored anything i was adviced to get kef r3
to receive/ night and day difference over naim muso 2,

i was also adviced to go purifi amp, which is quite expensive in order to be able to properly power kef r3 and to receive another day and night difference,so i made all of these...
if i ignored it i will be staying with my muso 2... instead of getting ultra expensive amplifier + speakers...
i have read manuals and i also contacted kef and nad support several times.
i also provided demo from my car without sound isolation for same song etcs..
i can provide simular video from mark levinson but not sure if i can do it today.

Music demos i have recorded and provided are with Dirac live, enabled, after making measures for few hours in order to make the best possible measures.

i was with all in one naim muso 2 solution,
which i have sold, and i have bought kef r3 to get day and night difference i dont plan to go back to active speakers, because i already have spend 6000$ for nad m33 amplifier, if i get another active speakers what i will do with the amp, collect dust|?
i cant sale it for 2 years at least... so....
thats not a good solution i am looking for speakers to upgrade kef r3.... why no one tells me which is way better ?

Yes everything is scam in order to drain from you more money.

Car have in the trunk extremely small speaker for sub only 1 kef have 2 speakers for sub
car have 10inch speaker in the trunk.
Let me get this clear. You feel like you have been given bad advice and have wasted money, but here you are asking for more advice on the same forum with the view to spending more money for more expensive speakers. Isn’t that a definition of madness, repeating the same process and hoping for a different result? Please just decouple your speakers from the desk, toe them in after moving them forward and then have a listen. Just do that and then report back.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Let me get this clear. You feel like you have been given bad advice and have wasted money, but here you are asking for more advice on the same forum with the view to spending more money for more expensive speakers. Isn’t that a definition of madness, repeating the same process and hoping for a different result? Please just decouple your speakers from the desk, toe them in after moving them forward and then have a listen. Just do that and then report back.
Speaker accoustic is terrible at least on kef r3,

in my car speakers are much better , I experimented with them with dirac on and off and different positions...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's very likely that the car has a gigantic 20dB bass lift, and the ruler flat R3's sound anemic in comparison.
You're not wrong. Here is the spectrum of the car's video:
1664549604885.png

And here is the one from the R3s:
1664549643469.png

Also notice the bump at 3 kHz on the Focal setup, as well as the boost around 400, dip right before it. The tilt on the car version is also much more massive, meaning far fewer highs, and there is a massive roll-off after 10 kHz. It also stops at 16 kHz in the car, probably compressed content, but could be the recording a well.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Your in-room video with Clarkson actually sounds much better to me than your prior one. You need to fix your speaker positioning somehow in your space. e.g., all the other advice that's been given here. Buying different speakers will not solve the problem, the main problem now is your room and the equipment positioning. I've never used Dirac, don't need it, a perfectly wonderful nearfield setup can be achieved without a lot of trouble. My office room is only about 7' wide and I've got room for speakers on 3' stands on either side of my desk. This allows me to toe-in the speakers and have the drivers lined up with my ears.

In your car video, what I mostly hear is more accentuation of deep bass/lower bass, similar to what you would be getting with a good subwoofer in a room environment. If that's what you are responding to, if you were going to add anything else to your room system, a good music-focused SW would be the thing to get. But first, make the adjustments that you need to let the R3s do what they are supposed to do.

Don't buy more primary speakers, please. You can fix this.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

View attachment 234134
View attachment 234135
Also notice the bump at 3 kHz on the Focal setup, as well as the boost around 400, dip right before it. The tilt on the car version is also much more massive, meaning far fewer highs.
Car have 00 sound isolation and zero tunning
only speakers and amp
no dirac and no gimmicks,
its high end.
i can go to mark levinson, but not sure if today.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

Not gonna happen.

Your homework for the weekend: ask yourself why.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
View attachment 234134
View attachment 234135
Also notice the bump at 3 kHz on the Focal setup, as well as the boost around 400, dip right before it. The tilt on the car version is also much more massive, meaning far fewer highs, and there is a massive roll-off after 10 kHz.
So cool. Nice work! This shows pretty clearly what's happening. So am I correct that if this is what he's chasing, he can either a) punch up the bass setting massively on the M33 or b) buy a good ($500+) type of subwoofer, like one from REL Acoustics?

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Turn the left thingy WAY up, and turn the Right thingy Down. Also, Toe-in your speakers. These are narrow directivity speakers that don't work great off-axis.
20220324165800_Dirac-Live-App-TWeb.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is that the 3 kHz bump and more downward slope with some bass boost will yield a better result. Small boost at 375 Hz is optional. Without spending the $99 on the full Dirac, you can try using some EQ on your player software and recreate what your car sounds like.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

So cool. Nice work! This shows pretty clearly what's happening. So am I correct that if this is what he's chasing, he can either a) punch up the bass setting massively on the M33 or b) buy a good ($500+) type of subwoofer, like one from REL Acoustics?
even without bass car sounds much better thats what i try to show here.

am currently considering Focal kanta 1,sopra 1, diablo utopia,

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
am currently considering Focal kanta 1,sopra 1, diablo utopia,
Please stop with this list. It’s totally pointless to buy new stuff before you have not found out why the current setup does not sound right. I can tell you one thing, it’s not because the speaker are shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom