• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
You know... There's this thing called Kulen in my part of the world... Aaargh, what am I doing here?! You'll never know. You have to come and taste it!
Kulen.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If the whole grain bread you get there is dry, you need to get to know better bakers.
Guess it's just not to my taste. I grew up on my family's wonderful Italian white bread, never cared for any dark grainy breads.

I just finished the last of this season's tomatoes last night. This is always a sad event.
We always took the overrun and ground them up and froze them to make our spaghetti gravy for the next few months.

My nephew is visiting! He's a fan! And this beast has 800g!
800g, what's everyone else going to eat? LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Finally, when I grill chicken drumstick and thigh, I also de-bone them. It's easier to get them right all the way to the middle. No burnt edges and bloody center. In summertime I like cold side dish, here served with potato salad and lamb's lettuce. Oooooh... and some porter!!
Untitloped.jpg

killdozzer

Major Contributor
800g, what's everyone else going to eat? LOL
:D Oh, but this is just a quick marenda!

Looks like a pepperoni pizza, Yum
It is far better than pepperoni, but I guess if you like pepperoni, you'd love this next level. It's much bigger, spicy and with better parts of pork. Here next to grown man's hands for proportion:
1664371473766.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Guess it's just not to my taste. I grew up on my family's wonderful Italian white bread, never cared for any dark grainy breads.
Why not both? They each have different culinary uses.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Some get more conservative as they get older. Me? I just enjoy some less expensive parts more and more. Here we see veal liver and some creamy white rice. (ran out of wine... what can one do?)
Jetra.jpg

In my country you mix olive oil, garlic and parsley to spread over liver when it's done. It's an Italian custom originally and it's called Triestine Sauce (a sauce from the city of Trieste)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is far better than pepperoni, but I guess if you like pepperoni, you'd love this next level. It's much bigger, spicy and with better parts of pork.
Looks good, What times dinner?

Why not both? They each have different culinary uses.
Understood but it's not like I never tasted any.
It is OK to not like something. ;)

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
You know... There's this thing called Kulen in my part of the world... Aaargh, what am I doing here?! You'll never know. You have to come and taste it!
View attachment 233773
slavonija?

Some get more conservative as they get older. Me? I just enjoy some less expensive parts more and more. Here we see veal liver and some creamy white rice. (ran out of wine... what can one do?)
View attachment 233782

In my country you mix olive oil, garlic and parsley to spread over liver when it's done. It's an Italian custom originally and it's called Triestine Sauce (a sauce from the city of Trieste)

i prefer them chopped smaller, on onion sauce, with fresh & fluffy white bread

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's a taste of real heaven,
A huge dish of Cavatelli and Meatballs
cavelatti.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My wonderful wife bakes a fresh loaf every few days. One of life's simple pleasures but one I look forward to most mornings....:)
What is it? I mean, what is its provenance?
If I must guess; I would say it is probably of middle-eastern cuisine.
Those are definitely not Afghani-poppy.:facepalm:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... In my country you mix olive oil, garlic and parsley to spread over liver when it's done. It's an Italian custom originally and it's called Triestine Sauce (a sauce from the city of Trieste)
Didn't know I was marrying into a family of 5 from Trieste.
While in the dating phase, I was finally invited over for dinner. The second I entered their house, I was bathed in Italian cuisine smells.
Like if you have been eating the same food since you were born, a dinner at age 17 would be like any other home made dinner you've had all your life. Meh!
Here comes this weirdo and whooffs-down everything on their dinner table. It was beyond that "kid in the candy store" feeling.
For the next few years, as often as I can; I looked forward to invites to that real Trieste cooking. But, I had not realized that I was not allowed to go near the kitchen because they take their recipes seriously, like they were trade secrets.
Mrs.Rosario and Nonna would spend the whole day in their kitchen related tasks, finally they had found someone that appreciated their culinary creations!
You know an approval for a marriage is imminent, if a family from Trieste invites you inside their kitchen and starts sharing their family recipes with you.
The rest is history...

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Didn't know I was marrying into a family of 5 from Trieste.
While in the dating phase, I was finally invited over for dinner. The second I entered their house, I was bathed in Italian cuisine smells.
Like if you have been eating the same food since you were born, a dinner at age 17 would be like any other home made dinner you've had all your life. Meh!
Here comes this weirdo and whooffs-down everything on their dinner table. It was beyond that "kid in the candy store" feeling.
For the next few years, as often as I can; I looked forward to invites to that real Trieste cooking. But, I had not realized that I was not allowed to go near the kitchen because they take their recipes seriously, like they were trade secrets.
Mrs.Rosario and Nonna would spend the whole day in their kitchen related tasks, finally they had found someone that appreciated their culinary creations!
You know an approval for a marriage is imminent, if a family from Trieste invites you inside their kitchen and starts sharing their family recipes with you.
The rest is history...
Nice story! Thanks. I had a laugh. It' exactly as you describe.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
slavonija?
Originally, yes. I moved a lot, but kept much of the customs and added new ones that I liked. :) I moved a lot domestically and abroad. I've spent my formative years on a small island in south Adriatic.

i prefer them chopped smaller, on onion sauce, with fresh & fluffy white bread
There's another great sauce for innards where you combine yogurt, dill and garlic. You use dill leaf. It's sold here under the name kopar. You start very similar to when you're making bechamel sauce - some flour on oil (olive for this), but instead of adding milk, you add yogurt. You use a small amount of flour to not thicken it too much. Just a little bit to make it creamy and consistent. Half way through you add dill leaf and garlic. You stir it until it thickens a bit and that's it.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I opted for saffron rice and I seasoned the steak Fiorentina style (Florentine for our U.S. friends), some rosemary and marjoram and so on. The rice is not exactly like Risotto Milanese, there's no Grana added. This is closer to Persian style like I had in Iran. It's very close to Asian, the way you get it from a rice cooker, but in this case you put butter and saffron right from the beginning. People in Iran love Saffron and the country is one of the great world exporters.

1664523108516.png

dlaloum

Major Contributor
View attachment 233782

When I was at high school, a "pure anglo" friend was over hanging out - Mum invited him to dinner.... that day she happened to be frying up some calves liver.... (yum!)

He played with his food for a while, finally mum says "if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it....", with great relief he pushed it aside.... and never again accepted an invitation to dine with us !!! (he would walk the 500m to the local "fish & chip" shop, and get something safely anglo...)

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Here's a taste of real heaven,
A huge dish of Cavatelli and Meatballs
cavelatti.jpg
I love these, But just for fun, I make it the way popular shows like Simpsons depict it. When the mafia guy says mama's makin' a pasta meat a bolz". :) It's usually spaghetti and rather thin sauce. It's all in one big pot. The spaghettis are swimming in it. When you serve, you first go with pasta and on top you place a couple of meatballs.

The dish is great by the way. It's easy to level up if you want just by grinding some better parts of an animal. My favorite was 50/50 beef and lamb. I placed them for few seconds on grill with heavy smoke to add flavor and then directly in the sauce pot. Smoke really does wonders to the overall taste.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The answer is always Raclette.
Oooh I don't know... as you travel through the alps, you can move from Raclette, to Fondue, then through to Spaetzle....

A fabulous surfeit of cheese, and variations on how to consume it!

Fresh made spaetzle noodles (little rice size noodles), layered with Tilsit, emmenthaler, and whatever other good cheeses I have hanging around at the time, adds complexity to the flavour, with garlic and a dash of nutmeg..... sort of like a fondue with noodles floating around it it (ok so I am exagerating a little... but it is a LOT of cheese...)

Tilsit, Raclette, Emmenthaler, Gruyer......

And of course there was that time I had three lactose intollerant foodies over, keen to have the cheesy spaetzle.... Lacteze all around, then tuck in!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Spaetzle....

aaahhh.....had the best in the north of Austria (Linz)
size wise it's larger than rice, tho
Originally, yes. I moved a lot, but kept much of the customs and added new ones that I liked. :) I moved a lot domestically and abroad. I've spent my formative years on a small island in south Adriatic.
we're not from that far apart, then ;)

PS
ffs, sitting in the office, drooling like a retard now...why, oh why, did i have to go read this subforum again :facepalm:

Top Bottom