• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Leema Acoustics Element DAC & Preamp Review

Rate this DAC & Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 51.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks, so the analog ins are digitised?
No, it is likely using an analog volume control IC with digital control.

Keened

Forum Donor
Amirm, It concerns me that you didn't even bother checking it was 230V before plugging it in......... and it took you half an hour to figure it out.

It's using a plug standard that is almost always seen in the US for 120v. I guess there is nothing physically preventing the form factor from handling 230v, but without a reference UK power plug and a working interface...

Keened

Forum Donor
Thanks, so the analog ins are digitised?

It is the most efficient and accurate way, it should be the standard really. Just a ADC box for all your analog stuff. It means you could even do custom ground relations for each source and optically break them from the rest of your system.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great review. Not favorable price/quality ratio, however it is possibly built-to-last (hard to quantify without heavy usage experience). The usual $ 100 DACs are superior to this unit. At this price, the absence of AES/EBU digital input is unforgivable. It is a pass in my book.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For reasons I won't get into, ...
Thank you @amirm,
By saying the above: You know well that you perked-up every members' ears! :D
This unit seems to have almost every type of input you would want (less XLR) and every other type (BT+WiFi) that you don't!
Unfortunately, new-age competition can do it -10dB cheaper and better performing (w/BT+WiFi but w/o XLRs).

When XLR and RCA outputs are offered, are their any DACs which can feed these outputs simultaneously?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As a DAC, this level of performance is not competitive for any DAC above $150 so that is not the real story here. What is important is inclusion of analog input for those who need it.
MHO, your being way too generous here partner. It's way too expensive and offers way too low of performance to gain a recommendation, analog or not. My Emotiva had those things and only cost $450.
Your call.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I have a 10” Akai R2R which I never use, because it’s a PITA compared to streaming, so don’t really need a DAC with analog in. The R2R sure looks cool, though. :cool:

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gotta agree with Sal on this one, even 8 years ago there were better cheaper options though maybe not all in one box aside from the miniDSP offerings. Balanced input would have been nice too at this price.

I just can't get over how ugly it is.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i wouldnt say its ugly but its sure designed by people who think this is just another peice of lab equipment.

Tp me this is a strange one.... the price is unrealistic for this performance... as people have said, if you're using a chipset from 2005 then expect 2005 performance.... and at $2,000, surely a state of the art dac + a good analog preamp would work just as good...

maybe use an amp with two inputs if you dont want to daisy chain the dac to the preamp??? buy a dac w/ volume contrl though

isnt the Schitt Freya standard no tube preamp a recomended choice here?

even as a one box choice where you mix and match digital w/ true analog passthru at $2k makes it a hard buy

there must be a like solution that is at least... competitive? I cant beleive the state of the market where this $2k unit is a good choice when the performance is so 2005

to me if i see "24/192" then i know they are using crystal or something truly from another decade

PeteL

Major Contributor
i wouldnt say its ugly but its sure designed by people who think this is just another peice of lab equipment.

Tp me this is a strange one.... the price is unrealistic for this performance... as people have said, if you're using a chipset from 2005 then expect 2005 performance.... and at $2,000, surely a state of the art dac + a good analog preamp would work just as good...

maybe use an amp with two inputs if you dont want to daisy chain the dac to the preamp??? buy a dac w/ volume contrl though

isnt the Schitt Freya standard no tube preamp a recomended choice here?

even as a one box choice where you mix and match digital w/ true analog passthru at $2k makes it a hard buy

there must be a like solution that is at least... competitive? I cant beleive the state of the market where this $2k unit is a good choice when the performance is so 2005

to me if i see "24/192" then i know they are using crystal or something truly from another decade
What’s wrong with using crystals to clock a DAC chip, most design have. seen use them, not just from other decades, what do you mean?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When XLR and RCA outputs are offered, are their any DACs which can feed these outputs simultaneously?
Almost always. I have a vague memory of some DACs letting you select which one lights up but by far, both on is the norm.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
What’s wrong with using crystals to clock a DAC chip, most design have. seen use them, not just from other decades, what do you mean?

Crystal Semiconductor. what is considered to be a spent force in the world of dacs... like Burr Brown.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MHO, your being way too generous here partner...
I did not understand @amirm's 'recommendation' of the $70 Fosi Audio TB10D amp but I think I understand this hardware merits as long as we remember his stipulation that it is to manage (as a pre-amp?) analog feeds w/a few bonus digital inputs but the amp don't care about them.
It may not be my choice (even ignoring price) but I understand that there is no "way" he is "being" either "too" or "generous"...;)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Crystal Semiconductor. what is considered to be a spent force in the world of dacs... like Burr Brown.
Ok, not sure what you mean, I guess I’ll read it up, I tought Burr Brown made their chips out of silicon like everybody else.

DonR

Major Contributor
Too much money for what it offers, sorry. Maybe when it came out 8 years ago it would have been a better value.

The company's marketing blurb has some predictable garbage in it:

Digital to analogue conversion is a discipline that, on the face of it, looks to be a simple number crunching exercise. Yet, as in all things audio, the devil is in the detail. Chief among the gremlins is time, which if not precisely regulated, causes temporal distortion (jitter) in the digital signal and ultimately manifests itself as actual noise and distortion in the resulting musical signal.

Uniquely, Leema’s design team have been involved with digital audio in both music recording studios and movie sound stages, since its commercial introduction in the early 1980s. This gives us a wealth of experience when designing DACs for audiophile use, technically at the very limit of what is achievable but most importantly, warm, detailed, musical and natural.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

yeah at this point its pretty obvious what's going on... i never heard of this company before Amir tested this... its pretty clear what's going on... this is one of those classic cottage industries, probably literally... they make a bunch of esoteric equipment... all in the same test instrument style case and they're big on the 'mystique' of audio, low on the engineering and quality... they're big on hyping up the 'magical' side of audio and how 'English boffins' are doing it better... and every piece of £2,000....

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the Denon also costs less than this

what hifi is a bit of a long standing joke in the hi fi space but even they seem to have issues choking this down... and they choke down anything!

and this is 10yrs removed!

and you could have gotten away with Crystal Cirrus 24/192 converters back then.

vkhong

Whats is the "lips" input? Never seen a input labeled with that.
"LIPS is an acronym for 'Leema Intelligent Protocol System'. It is a communication bus that enables Leema components to communicate with other units in the Leema range. The communication enables simple control of power on/off from one unit, right up to the control of all functions in a Leema system comprising up to 15 individual components."
https://www.leema-acoustics.com/faq.html

Top Bottom