• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A1H

Recluse-Animator

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-a1h

9.4.6 ch
15 x 150w
DIRAC upgradable
$6,500
avr-a1h_1220x780-2_heroimage.jpg

avr-a1h_1220x780-3.jpg

Last edited:

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For $6,500 this needed to have balanced pre-outs for all channels and at least 2x XLR inputs. If rear panel real estate was the limiting factor I would've accepted a breakout dongle solution.

OP
Recluse-Animator

Recluse-Animator

At this price DIRAC should be included.
Speaking of DIRAC this has 4 sub outputs and can adjust them individually. I find it hard to believe that it would make a noticeable difference as people have gotten great results with just 1 output and multiple subs. I haven't seen anyone test the difference between using 2 subs from 1 output and 2 subs from 2 outputs though so I could be wrong.
It's overpriced as you can get separates with stand alone DIRAC for the same price.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally there is competition to Trinnov. This offers almost (20 vs 15) the same number of channels as Altitude-16 & Amplitude-16 combo (which I have) and similar power (200 vs 150W). Trinnov set-up costs US$30,000. Even with the Dirac upgrade cost added, Denon is in a different league price wise. In fact it is a steal!

I also do not see XLR only on subs an issue. You are buying an integrated surround sound amplifier, the only output other than speakers are for subwoofers (which are almost always active) and they are balanced and there are four of them! What's the problem?

Last edited:
OP
Recluse-Animator

Recluse-Animator

Finally there is competition to Trinnov. This offers almost (20 vs 15) the same number of channels as Altitude-16 & Amplitude-16 combo (which I have) and similar power (200 vs 150W). Trinnov set-up costs US$30,000. Even with the Dirac upgrade cost added, Denon is in a different league price wise. In fact it is a steal!

I also do not see XLR only on subs an issue. You are buying an integrated surround sound amplifier, the only output other than speakers are for subwoofers (which are almost always active) and they are balanced and there are four of them! What's the problem?
As I wrote it's overpriced and not a steal. You can get separates for the same price.
Trinnov is more expensive as it is a premium product with the best room correction money can buy.
Amplitude 16 is class D and the Denon is class AB.
Apmplitude 16 is also overpriced as you can get two 8ch Hypex amps with 250W @4ohm for 4400€.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I wrote it's overpriced and not a steal. You can get separates for the same price.
Trinnov is more expensive as it is a premium product with the best room correction money can buy.
Amplitude 16 is class D and the Denon is class AB.
Apmplitude 16 is also overpriced as you can get two 8ch Hypex amps with 250W @4ohm for 4400€.
I respectfully disagree.

What surround processor/amplifier has 15 channels which is cheaper?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I respectfully disagree.

What surround processor/amplifier has 15 channels which is cheaper?

But that defintely doesn't have 15 channels of amplification. There are few more as well.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But that defintely doesn't have 15 channels of amplification. There are few more as well.
Thank you. Haven’t heard of that before. Are there any 3rd party reliable measurements for it that you know?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't yet know what the "independent subwoofer outputs" mean either. This is important, even if DLBC is not included, if you can set individual PEQs for each channel, then you can optimize your bass with MSO without buying a miniDSP and *additionally* you can optimize the crossover for every single channel as well, which is not even possible with the 1 output -> miniDSP -> subs signal chain.

Dirac Live Bass Control is confirmed for the new lineup.

Well, also nobody knows when or if the HTP-1 will actually have stock again. The answer may be never lol. The date on the webpage is just a placeholder afaik.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Recluse-Animator

Recluse-Animator

We don't yet know what the "independent subwoofer outputs" mean either. This is important, even if DLBC is not included, if you can set individual PEQs for each channel, then you can optimize your bass with MSO without buying a miniDSP and *additionally* you can optimize the crossover for every single channel as well, which is not even possible with the 1 output -> miniDSP -> subs signal chain.

Well, also nobody knows when or if the HTP-1 will actually have stock again. The answer may be never lol. The date on the webpage is just a placeholder afaik.
It means that DIRAC calibrates all 4 sub outs independently. How much of an improvement if any it will have we'll have to wait and see.
People get great results with 2 or just 1 sub out using multiple subs with DIRAC.

OP
Recluse-Animator

Recluse-Animator

That’s an amplifier. I asked for a processor with or without integrated amplifiers.
Just buy the cheapest AVR with the connections and formats you need and use it as a processor and buy a stand alone MiniDSP DIRAC.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is literally the most anyone would need in a modest Home Cinema, 250W is insane. That's enough to have 100dBSPL (anechoic) 4 meters away with a 90dB/W speaker.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just buy the cheapest AVR with the connections and formats you need and use it as a processor and buy a stand alone MiniDSP DIRAC.
I can only assume that you have not read any AVR/AVP reviews on ASR.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is literally the most anyone would need in a modest Home Cinema, 250W is insane. That's enough to have 100dBSPL (anechoic) 4 meters away with a 90dB/W speaker.
There are a lot of speakers with much less sensitivity though and people with larger rooms…

Top Bottom