• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to get balanced sound from balanced gear in headphones?

Bust3r

Hey all, I'm receiving an Audio-gd Master 19 soon, and I'd like to utilize the full capabilities of the amp, I.E., 'balanced' sound with a future DAC, more than likely a Denifraps Ares II and was wondering how this can be done.
Just about all headphones come with a 4.4 or 6.3mm input, for example, I have 2 sets of headphones, both are the 6.3mm, so how do you convert that 1/4in to the XLR input in the front of the amp if the cable is single ended in the first place?
I have a pair of LCD-X's that state 'Single-ended 1/4'' to dual 4-pin mini-XLR cable'. Do I need a balanced 4-Pin XLR to dual 4-pin mini-XLR cable to take the place of my headphone cables in order for this to work?
I cant imagine doing this for all your headphones if you want to run balanced? The other Senn650 I have is first gen and doesnt have a mini XLR.

Does this sound right at all or am I totally off? I'm so confused as how to get a 'balanced' sound from the amp from one XLR in the front.

Thanks all, and happy listening!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 sets of headphones, both are the 6.3mm, so how do you convert that 1/4in to the XLR input in the front of the amp if the cable is single ended in the first place?
You require a balanced headphone cable assembly. Some headphones come with a balanced cable and with others it is optional.
Do I need a balanced 4-Pin XLR to dual 4-pin mini-XLR cable to take the place of my headphone cables in order for this to work?
Yes.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add to Doodski's reply, you can use the same balanced cable assembly to a single-ended amplifier using a 6.3mm male to 4 pin XLR female adaptor so you don't have to carry two sets of cables in case you want use your headphones on a single ended headphone amplifier (no balanced ports)

OP
B

Bust3r

You require a balanced headphone cable assembly. Some headphones come with a balanced cable and with others it is optional.

Yes.
Excellent! Thank you!

Is this a good start? Or something different?

OP
B

Bust3r

Just to add to Doodski's reply, you can use the same balanced cable assembly to a single-ended amplifier using a 6.3mm male to 4 pin XLR female adaptor so you don't have to carry two sets of cables in case you want use your headphones on a single ended headphone amplifier (no balanced ports)
That works just as well! Wonderful info, thanks!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent! Thank you!

That's perfect! You can add the Multi-kits down the line in case you want to have every termination that the market has out there. Multi-kit one is very versatile albeit overkill unless you like to demo your headphones to different amplifiers when you go to a show store demo

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent! Thank you!

I not familiar with your headphones but if this cable has the same connectors as the headphones then yes the (M) 4 pin XLR balanced connector is what you want. It seems a bit short though at 4.5 feet. I use a 9 foot cable from my PC and it just fits enough to get to my head and have a little extra for coiling it for when I stretch out or whatever. I recommend getting a longer cable if you can. Rather than using a extension cable later.

OP
B

Bust3r

I not familiar with your headphones but if this cable has the same connectors as the headphones then yes the (M) 4 pin XLR balanced connector is what you want. It seems a bit short though at 4.5 feet. I use a 9 foot cable from my PC and it just fits enough to get to my head and have a little extra for coiling it for when I stretch out or whatever. I recommend getting a longer cable if you can. Rather than using a extension cable later.
Looks like its either 4.5ft or 18" split? not sure what that means

OP
B

Bust3r

Ok wait a tick.....I cant tell but is the XLR input on the M19 a mini?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok wait a tick.....I cant tell but is the XLR input on the M19 a mini?
z gooder.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't mind me asking how much is the Audio-gd Master 19 expensing you?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like its either 4.5ft or 18" split? not sure what that means

According to them, you chose 4.5ft with their multi-kits. The 18" split is used for attaching custom hart cables that terminate to the modular/proprietary male XLR.

I would forego the Modular series and just go Custom series

Terminate to Male XLR directly and you can choose the length you need

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Bust3r if you are still open to choosing a headphone amp if I may I suggest switching over to the Topping A90 headphone amp. It is maybe the best available out of all of them and is priced much better than the Audio-gd. Some Audio-gd product has been tested here at ASR and the results where not good. The Topping A90 tests extremely well and in most cases it tests the best of all headphone amps tests here. The Audio-gd stuff has impressive looking components inside but in most cases it is overkill gauge of components that have no basis when looking to improve sound quality or life expectancy. In a nutshell the Audio-gd stuff is a bit of snake oil.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the strange assortment of electronics to do something that is relatively simple?

ps makes me wonder if you understand the term "balanced" too

Peterinvan

Hey all, I'm receiving an Audio-gd Master 19 soon, and I'd like to utilize the full capabilities of the amp, I.E., 'balanced' sound with a future DAC, more than likely a Denifraps Ares II and was wondering how this can be done.
Just about all headphones come with a 4.4 or 6.3mm input, for example, I have 2 sets of headphones, both are the 6.3mm, so how do you convert that 1/4in to the XLR input in the front of the amp if the cable is single ended in the first place?
I have a pair of LCD-X's that state 'Single-ended 1/4'' to dual 4-pin mini-XLR cable'. Do I need a balanced 4-Pin XLR to dual 4-pin mini-XLR cable to take the place of my headphone cables in order for this to work?
I cant imagine doing this for all your headphones if you want to run balanced? The other Senn650 I have is first gen and doesnt have a mini XLR.

Does this sound right at all or am I totally off? I'm so confused as how to get a 'balanced' sound from the amp from one XLR in the front.

Thanks all, and happy listening!
Look on line (Amazon) for the 4.4mm to 4-pin XLR adapter.
Get 4.4mm balanced cables for your headphones.

I converted my Grados to balanced by installing 3.5mm sockets in each cup, then adding a Meze "silver" 4.4mm cable.

I do not recommend plugging in any un-balanced adapters to the 4-pin XLR as you my short out the balanced output stage.

Top Bottom