• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio TB10D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 75 29.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 136 52.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.6%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's actually not a bad idea. :D I imagine many peeps would love to have that compactness and simplicity on their desktop.

The computer audio guys (Logitech etc) did it a while back with their sub/sat PC speakers with the three amplifiers in the sub and a little volume pot you had on the desk.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The computer audio guys (Logitech etc) did it a while back with their sub/sat PC speakers with the three amplifiers in the sub and a little volume pot you had on the desk.
Yeah, I remember that one. A real thumper I read.

mctron

I tried out the Fosi TB10A and BT30D last year and I believe they both had a pop when when powering down from the power supply and leaving the switch on (the A07 does not pop). I'd be curious to know if this one pops.
This is low key a great feature in the cheap A07. I have 2 and control them with various home automation software, and no pops is a godsend. My Hypex DIY pops!

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why is it not the norm for this kind of amps to include output filters in the feedback loop? And another question, why is this chip or similar used in AVRs? Price? Power? Performance seems similar with your average AVR.
By apparent industry consensus, that chip represents excellent "bang for the buck" -- and I'm not sure why one would expect a little USD $70 device to outperform "you average AVR."

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Someone like Erin perhaps? In fact - Erin did a video with cheapaudioman. It was like watching a chimp throw his own faeces at a professor.
Randy is literally a comedian and by definition such folks are not to be taken seriously. He panned the Topping E30 DAC for "sibilance" after initially reviewing it positively -- apparently, he reevaluated it by listening through a pair of those dirt-cheap, uber-bright Sony speakers he adores.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Shipping a 32V 5A power supply while advertising 2x300W output is what is called ‘caught with pants down your ankles’. In more clear language; a blatant lie.
All the Chinese "chip amp" suppliers exaggerate like that -- even the sensational Aiyima A07 is rated that way in advertising copy.

JSmith

Master Contributor
the sensational Aiyima A07 is rated that way in advertising copy
The power output on their specs is based on the power supply used, which actually matches Amir's testing for the PSU used;

1664327544339.png

1664327586259.png

They recommend the 48V 7.5A supply actually.

Whereas Fosi are just stating 300W x 2 and sending out a 32V 5A supply in the box... me thinks they should be a bit clearer. ;)

That said the Fosi does 88W@4 ohm... the Aiyima shuts off at 77W.

JSmith

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
The power output on their specs is based on the power supply used, which actually matches Amir's testing for the PSU used;

View attachment 233681

View attachment 233682

They recommend the 48V 7.5A supply actually.

Whereas Fosi are just stating 300W x 2 and sending out a 32V 5A supply in the box... me thinks they should be a bit clearer. ;)

That said the Fosi does 88W@4 ohm... the Aiyima shuts off at 77W.
I should have written "was" rather than "is." The more honest specs you provided weren't there when I bought my A07s a couple of years ago -- I own four, BTW -- and it was advertised in the same exaggerated way as this Fosi product. Considering its tiny size, I wouldn't run that Fosi at 88W for very long -- I'm just sayin'.... :cool:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to see this review. I have a TB10A sitting in my cupboard waiting for my first DIY speaker build. I'm hoping I can expect decent performance out of it, but maybe not since it uses a different chip.

AndreaT

Amazon selling it now with a $ 14 coupon discount...I am tempted...however I do not have a use for it at the moment and too many amps are already on display and not in use...

PeteL

Major Contributor
I’m always wondering how these things sounds After all it still have less harmonic distortion than any 2K$+ turntable styluses, that can sound great with the right record in the right system.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
@amirm or anyone who has this, is easy to tell when the unit's bass and treble controls are in neutral(+/-0) or is a guessing game?

AndreaT

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
I don't see why a product that claims the specs it does an fails so miserably would be recommended.

I guess you only hold up certain companies to their claimed specifications.

• MAX Power Output up to 600Watts. TB10D adopts TI TPA3255 high-performance Class-D power amplifier chip enabling true premium sound quality. TPA3255 features an advanced integrated feedback design and proprietary high-speed gate driver error correction (PurePath Ultra-HD). This technology allows ultra low distortion across the audio band and superior audio quality. The device is operated in AD-mode, and can drive up to 2 x 315 W into 4-Ω load at 10% THD and 2 x 150 W unclipped into 8-Ω load.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I don't see why a product that claims the specs it does an fails so miserably would be recommended.

• MAX Power Output up to 600Watts. TB10D adopts TI TPA3255 high-performance Class-D power amplifier chip enabling true premium sound quality. TPA3255 features an advanced integrated feedback design and proprietary high-speed gate driver error correction (PurePath Ultra-HD). This technology allows ultra low distortion across the audio band and superior audio quality. The device is operated in AD-mode, and can drive up to 2 x 315 W into 4-Ω load at 10% THD and 2 x 150 W unclipped into 8-Ω load.
Well. Below what you posted is this.
All of the mini Chip amps make various amounts of power with various power supplies. This is fairly common knowledge and it is likely the unit makes it close to spec with the biggest allowable supply. Such a supply is a pain to deal with though and could be dangerous in the wrong hands and might cost more than the amp.
I think 32v 5a is an okay supply to include.

• What you Get: TB10D amplifier x1, User Manual x1, 32V/5A Power Adapter x1(Note: You need a more powerful power supply to get the MAX 300W x2 power output, such as 48V/10A), AC Cord x1, 18-month worry-free warranty, and friendly customer service.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

Different price ranges of products are evaluated differently. If this thing cost USD $200-300 it wouldn't have earned a happy panther -- and a high level of spec exaggeration is very, very common at this product's minuscule price point. Moreover, neither Amir nor anyone else is in a position to "hold up certain companies to their claimed specifications" -- panthers are assigned as per actual performance delivered for money spent regardless of whether advertising hype is involved.

Top Bottom