• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help! Schiit Modi 2 not being recognized anymore by Windows?

casdeo

Hi guys, first time poster here. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this on the forum so please tell me if I have posted it in the incorrect area of the forum but to be honest I'm at my wits end of this.

(my OS is Windows 10)

Basically my setup is a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 stack (along with a recently purchased Schiit Wyrd that did not help my problems) and for the last week or so my Modi is not showing up anymore in Windows. I have done as much research as I can and have seen many threads of this problem being reported but not that many solutions have been successful and just wanted to give it one last shot before considering other alternatives.

The Modi is not being recognized in Windows at all and does not appear in Device Manager either unless I enable "show hidden devices". Strangely enough my Blue Yeti microphone was still showing in the playback window but as of yesterday is not showing up either unless "show hidden devices" is enabled as well.

I think the new Windows 10 update may have caused this but even when I tried to uninstall the update, the Modi still would not be recognized. Now instead all I get is the message of "USB device is not recognized" (https://gyazo.com/58407ab51632d4856de2393cc64dad5f).

After a couple of days of the Modi not connecting at all I decided to purchase a Wyrd as I heard good things about it fixing USB problems etc. But it has done nothing even though everything is connected. I still get the same message as shown in the screenshot above. I also tried a powered USB hub but that has done nothing as well.

I have tried to see if it works on my brothers PC which also runs Windows 10, and the exact same message comes up. This leads me to believe its the Modi that is the problem, however the problem message on Windows still makes me wonder if its an issue of Windows being screwy.

I have tried so many other things that I'll probably forget to list: changing cables, USB ports, powered USB Hubs, updating drivers, uninstalling drivers, Updating motherboard etc. and nothing is working.

I'm sorry to link another thread from another forum however this post pretty much sums up very similar symptons and problems that I have and I've also pretty much tried all of the solutions in this thread as well. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-dac-not-detecting-even-through-powered-hub-modi-wyrd.766792/
Some differences in that thread is that my Modi has never been recognized since its gone off.

I have also tried installing the Windows 10 drivers for the Modi in "expert mode" however I am unable to install it because I keep getting the error "Please connect the CMEDIA USB 2.0 Audio Device" (https://gyazo.com/9551a106a87d924ec9b4ec1d4705964d)

Only solution I can think of is either:
1. Ordering a Modi 3 (out of stock as of now on EU store though) to see if that would fix it + it would be an upgrade which I wouldn't mind as I've had the Modi 2 since 2016
2. Ordering a different DAC instead such as Topping D30 or any suggestions you guys have
3. Reinstalling Windows (but as this is a hassle for me I would like to have that as a last resort)

Essentially just wanted some of your advice on this forum before I decided to get a new DAC and call it quits with this "Schiit". Thanks very much for reading, I may have missed important information since I'm writing this off the top of my head so please ask any questions if you guys require any more info!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For something like this, I would just cut out my losses and try some other DAC. :) Debugging problems like this is next to impossible and seems that you have tried all the standard things anyway. Buy a DAC you can easily return if it turns out to be a Windows thing. Schiit charges restocking fee so I would not go there. Buy something on Amazon if you are local (topping D10 is cheap, good and pretty).

OP
C

casdeo

For something like this, I would just cut out my losses and try some other DAC. :) Debugging problems like this is next to impossible and seems that you have tried all the standard things anyway. Buy a DAC you can easily return if it turns out to be a Windows thing. Schiit charges restocking fee so I would not go there. Buy something on Amazon if you are local (topping D10 is cheap, good and pretty).

Thanks for your reply! I think you're right. I'm so fed up with trying everything to fix it that I think I'll get another DAC. Even though there is the restocking fee I'll still consider the Modi 3 for aesthetic sake but also the Topping D30 as well. Are those in, in your opinion, good DACs similar to each other in performance or would you rather have one over the other?

If I'm remembering correctly in your Modi 3 review you said something along the lines of it being the first Schiit product you would actually recommend for once.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Hi guys, first time poster here. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this on the forum so please tell me if I have posted it in the incorrect area of the forum but to be honest I'm at my wits end of this.

(my OS is Windows 10)

Basically my setup is a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 stack (along with a recently purchased Schiit Wyrd that did not help my problems) and for the last week or so my Modi is not showing up anymore in Windows. I have done as much research as I can and have seen many threads of this problem being reported but not that many solutions have been successful and just wanted to give it one last shot before considering other alternatives.

The Modi is not being recognized in Windows at all and does not appear in Device Manager either unless I enable "show hidden devices". Strangely enough my Blue Yeti microphone was still showing in the playback window but as of yesterday is not showing up either unless "show hidden devices" is enabled as well.

I think the new Windows 10 update may have caused this but even when I tried to uninstall the update, the Modi still would not be recognized. Now instead all I get is the message of "USB device is not recognized" (https://gyazo.com/58407ab51632d4856de2393cc64dad5f).

After a couple of days of the Modi not connecting at all I decided to purchase a Wyrd as I heard good things about it fixing USB problems etc. But it has done nothing even though everything is connected. I still get the same message as shown in the screenshot above. I also tried a powered USB hub but that has done nothing as well.

I have tried to see if it works on my brothers PC which also runs Windows 10, and the exact same message comes up. This leads me to believe its the Modi that is the problem, however the problem message on Windows still makes me wonder if its an issue of Windows being screwy.

I have tried so many other things that I'll probably forget to list: changing cables, USB ports, powered USB Hubs, updating drivers, uninstalling drivers, Updating motherboard etc. and nothing is working.

I'm sorry to link another thread from another forum however this post pretty much sums up very similar symptons and problems that I have and I've also pretty much tried all of the solutions in this thread as well. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-dac-not-detecting-even-through-powered-hub-modi-wyrd.766792/
Some differences in that thread is that my Modi has never been recognized since its gone off.

I have also tried installing the Windows 10 drivers for the Modi in "expert mode" however I am unable to install it because I keep getting the error "Please connect the CMEDIA USB 2.0 Audio Device" (https://gyazo.com/9551a106a87d924ec9b4ec1d4705964d)

1. Ordering a Modi 3 (out of stock as of now on EU store though) to see if that would fix it + it would be an upgrade which I wouldn't mind as I've had the Modi 2 since 2016
2. Ordering a different DAC instead such as Topping D30 or any suggestions you guys have
3. Reinstalling Windows (but as this is a hassle for me I would like to have that as a last resort)

Essentially just wanted some of your advice on this forum before I decided to get a new DAC and call it quits with this "Schiit". Thanks very much for reading, I may have missed important information since I'm writing this off the top of my head so please ask any questions if you guys require any more info!
Here is the driver page download and install the proper driver.

http://www.schiit.com/drivers

OP
C

casdeo

Schiit has email and support forum. Not sure why you would post your questions here.

I did consider it, but I had already tried their "recommended solutions" and they were quite vague solutions that achieved nothing for me. Also in other threads where I heard the same problems others as my own, many said the support from Schiit is mediocre at best.

I guess I was already thinking of replacing it and just wanted some other opinions before I spent any money.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Thanks for your reply! I think you're right. I'm so fed up with trying everything to fix it that I think I'll get another DAC. Even though there is the restocking fee I'll still consider the Modi 3 for aesthetic sake but also the Topping D30 as well. Are those in, in your opinion, good DACs similar to each other in performance or would you rather have one over the other?

If I'm remembering correctly in your Modi 3 review you said something along the lines of it being the first Schiit product you would actually recommend for once.
Why replace the dac for a software problem? That would make little sense, It was working then stopped with a win upgrade, from what you are saying?

Last edited:
OP
C

casdeo

Here is the driver page download and install the proper driver.

http://www.schiit.com/drivers

In my original post I mentioned how I tried to download the drivers and install them however I keep ending up with the error "Please connect the CMEDIA USB 2.0 Audio Device". So I can't install the drivers because Windows isn't even recognising it as being connected :/

OP
C

casdeo

Why replace the dac for a software problem?

Well thats thing I'm not 100% sure its just software since I tested it on another PC and the same problem occured. It could be both but I'm not totally sure.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In my original post I mentioned how I tried to download the drivers and install them however I keep ending up with the error "Please connect the CMEDIA USB 2.0 Audio Device". So I can't install the drivers because Windows isn't even recognising it as being connected :/
Their drivers are old and won't install on Windows 10.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Schiit Modi 3 has better performance than Topping D30 so if you are inclined to go there, that would be fine.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Well thats thing I'm not 100% sure its just software since I tested it on another PC and the same problem occured. It could be both but I'm not totally sure.
Are you sure it is getting power? Maybe the ps went bad?

OP
C

casdeo

Their drivers are old and won't install on Windows 10.

They do have drivers specifically for Windows 10 on their site. Whether they work or not I'm unsure since I can't install them

OP
C

casdeo

Are you sure it is getting power? Maybe the ps went bad?

I guess the ps could have gone bad but I think it's unlikely since it is getting power and the power LED is on when it is turned on. I'm also running the Wyrd aswell in case there is a lack of power to the ports but its done nothing. Windows does acknowledge the DAC when its turned on, it just says the usb device has malfunctioned etc.

Also in regards to your previous question, the problem did happen after a Windows update occured but not straight after. I think it was maybe the day after. It might've even happened when O restarted my PC or something. I tried rolling back and uninstalling the update but that didn't fix it.

Another odd thing is that my blue yeti microphone (which was working when the Modi wasn't) is now not being recognised either by Windows. Whilst this may indicate usb port issues, my mouse and keyboard etc all use usb and they are unaffected so I'm kind of confused :/

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I guess the ps could have gone bad but I think it's unlikely since it is getting power and the power LED is on when it is turned on. I'm also running the Wyrd aswell in case there is a lack of power to the ports but its done nothing. Windows does acknowledge the DAC when its turned on, it just says the usb device has malfunctioned etc.

Also in regards to your previous question, the problem did happen after a Windows update occured but not straight after. I think it was maybe the day after. It might've even happened when O restarted my PC or something. I tried rolling back and uninstalling the update but that didn't fix it.

Another odd thing is that my blue yeti microphone (which was working when the Modi wasn't) is now not being recognised either by Windows. Whilst this may indicate usb port issues, my mouse and keyboard etc all use usb and they are unaffected so I'm kind of confused :/
And you have tried it without the wyrd also? The mike could be software, maybe the dac just went bad.

OP
C

casdeo

And you have tried it without the wyrd also? The mike could be software, maybe the dac just went bad.

Yeah I tried a lot of the solutions before I got the Wyrd. I actually purchased it hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't which is kind of dumb. The mic is kind of a plug and play thing. It doesn't have software.

I think at this point I'll probably try a new DAC (Modi 3, also to upgrade anyways). If the new DAC doesn't work I guess I'll have to try reinstalling Windows.

manirelli

(my OS is Windows 10)

I'm actually getting the exact same issue today as well after a Windows update using the original Modi. Looks like MS screwed something up again...

OP
C

casdeo

I'm actually getting the exact same issue today as well after a Windows update using the original Modi. Looks like MS screwed something up again...

Seems like a new Windows update always breaks something for me. I got a Modi 3 coming in a day or two and I'll see if it hopefully fixes it. If not I guess I got to do some re-installing

manirelli

Seems like a new Windows update always breaks something for me. I got a Modi 3 coming in a day or two and I'll see if it hopefully fixes it. If not I guess I got to do some re-installing
I'm not sure if you've done so yet but I reached out to Schiit directly to try and solve the issue. Waiting to hear back and see what they suggest trying.

Top Bottom