• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SCL-7 Review (In-wall Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nathan

Non toed-in speakers/additional options?
In my particular situation the screen wall is an existing wall shared with a basement pantry and tool closet. Because of this I have a lot of leeway on the types and depths of speakers I can use. I wanted to retain the existing flat wall as a baffle wall, but It's not critical that I stick with shallow 4" deep in-wall speakers. It also isn't critical that I enclose the backs of the speakers. The primary attraction of some in-wall speakers, like the SCL-7 and the Monitor Audio IDC models, is the built-in ability to have an offset while keeping flush mounting on a flat wall.

I had been under the impression that infinite baffle setups are preferable if they are practical for a situation, and in my situation I can leave the backs of the speakers completely unenclosed instead of in a stud bay. I thought this would have benefits in less internal reflections within the speaker, less resonance (ports/etc), and less back pressure so the drivers can move more quickly and freely. Is my thinking wrong?

Toe in is not necessary with these speakers, given your use case / audience size / geometry.

A sealed stud bay IS how they are designed to sound best, and that is definitely what I would do. If you want to consider other designs, please consult with JVC via your dealer to get the engineering requirements for other installation approaches. Chances are good, the best performance will be to use them as designed (in a closed stud bay) but their engineering team may have recommendations about alternatives.

Vertical dispersion/second row
I'm planning to optimize sound for the main row as the second row will be truly "secondary". As long as they can understand the dialogue and enjoy some subwoofer drama, I'm sure everyone back there will be very very happy. My plan is to have the tweeters vertically centered behind the screen, and first row eye level around 1/3rd of the way up the screen.

I would try to position the tweeter at the same height as the primary listener’s ears. What you describe sounds like the tweeter will be noticeably higher than that, more like at the ear height of the second row. That will compromise the sound for the front row.

sumitagarwal

Toe in is not necessary with these speakers, given your use case / audience size / geometry.

A sealed stud bay IS how they are designed to sound best, and that is definitely what I would do. If you want to consider other designs, please consult with JVC via your dealer to get the engineering requirements for other installation approaches. Chances are good, the best performance will be to use them as designed (in a closed stud bay) but their engineering team may have recommendations about alternatives.

I would try to position the tweeter at the same height as the primary listener’s ears. What you describe sounds like the tweeter will be noticeably higher than that, more like at the ear height of the second row. That will compromise the sound for the front row.
Thanks, I will plan on tweeters at front row level or, at highest, directly in between front and second row ear level. My intention with having the tweeters at the centerline of the screen was to anchor the audio to the action.

If using three identical speakers instead of mirrored left and right speakers, do you have any thoughts on going with conventional front or sealed speakers instead of "in-wall" models?

nathan

Thanks, I will plan on tweeters at front row level or, at highest, directly in between front and second row ear level. My intention with having the tweeters at the centerline of the screen was to anchor the audio to the action.

I like the way you are thinking about it. However, the tweeters are the center of the screen will just result in less accurate sound for ears that are not at the center of the screen. That is the one main design “flaw” with these speakers — very narrow vertical dispersion. It can actually be useful AS LONG AS your ears are at the same height as the tweeters.

So, if your ears are going to be at 1/3 screen height, I would get the tweeters as close to that position as possible. It wont negatively impact the spatial perception of onscreen sound, imo, at all.

nathan

If using three identical speakers instead of mirrored left and right speakers, do you have any thoughts on going with conventional front or sealed speakers instead of "in-wall" models?

This is a can of worms question. Sure, there are excellent stand alone speakers you could choose. And it sounds like you are willing to cut open the wall, and use space behind it, so you have lots of options. If you open the space to be a like a large closet behind the screen that is 4 or 5 feet deep, and sealed with drywall so that you have effectively increased the size of your room, with a false wall holding the screen, then you have lots more options.

The key piece is to use any particular speaker correctly. If you try in room instead of in wall models, I would, if possible, personally stick with non ported models that are designed to be crossed over to a set of subwoofers. These are often labeled ”LCR” speakers by manufacturers.

I would also pay attention to their output capabilities, to make sure I can get the volume needed at the seats. Many otherwise great speakers (like the KEF LS50) will wither and die trying to send 100 db peaks to people sitting 20 feet way, through a transparent screen.

Finally, if you do build out the room behind the screen to accommodate other speaker options, you might as well pay attention to what the overall new room length is by this addition of a few feet to the room length, since the relationship between that length, the seating location and the subwoofer locations can create or mitigate standing wave issues.

But we are way far afield of the intention of this review thread, so these are all better discussed in new threads.

sumitagarwal

This is a can of worms question. Sure, there are excellent stand alone speakers you could choose. And it sounds like you are willing to cut open the wall, and use space behind it, so you have lots of options. If you open the space to be a like a large closet behind the screen that is 4 or 5 feet deep, and sealed with drywall so that you have effectively increased the size of your room, with a false wall holding the screen, then you have lots more options.

The key piece is to use any particular speaker correctly. If you try in room instead of in wall models, I would, if possible, personally stick with non ported models that are designed to be crossed over to a set of subwoofers. These are often labeled ”LCR” speakers by manufacturers.

I would also pay attention to their output capabilities, to make sure I can get the volume needed at the seats. Many otherwise great speakers (like the KEF LS50) will wither and die trying to send 100 db peaks to people sitting 20 feet way, through a transparent screen.

Finally, if you do build out the room behind the screen to accommodate other speaker options, you might as well pay attention to what the overall new room length is by this addition of a few feet to the room length, since the relationship between that length, the seating location and the subwoofer locations can create or mitigate standing wave issues.

But we are way far afield of the intention of this review thread, so these are all better discussed in new threads.
Greatly appreciated. I have a thread over here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...se-options-toe-in-enclosure-volume-etc.37741/

Fjc20

This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL SCL-7 in-wall "custom" home theater speakers. It was purchased new by a member and kindly sent to me for testing. It costs US $1,100 each.
View attachment 197717
It is an interesting design with two mid-woofers and asymmetrical waveguide/horn. There is a near/far boundary setting. I tested it in far mode.

Measurements were performed using special mode of Klippel Near-Field Scanner which ignores everything outside of a radius in front of the speaker. As such it simulates speaker being mounted on infinitely large wall. Edge diffractions are also removed as are reflections.

Note: our company, Madrona Digital, is a dealer for Harman products including JBL line. While there is little subjective opinion in this write-up, feel free to read what level of bias you like.

JBL SCL-7 Measurements
As usual we start with our frequency response measurements:
View attachment 197718

Response is nice and even until we get to crossover region around 2 kHz. Response droops there and becomes variable, likely due to resonances from the woofers:
View attachment 197719

Please note that the baffle that I made for it may be responsible for that. Then again, you are also going to have such resonances when you mount it on your wall.

Near-field response unfortunately worsens that dip:
View attachment 197720

This translates the same into predicted in-room response although both it, and above graph represent speaker away from the wall:
View attachment 197721

I found a strange source of distortion:

View attachment 197722

View attachment 197723

Is this the woofer distorting or is it the tweeter?

Horizontal beam width is good but offset due to tweeter being so placed:

View attachment 197724

View attachment 197725

Typical of dual woofer configuration, vertical dispersion is quite narrow:

View attachment 197726

Be sure to have the tweeter at your ear angle.

CSD/Waterfall shows some of the resonances we have seen already:

View attachment 197727

Conclusions
I wish had ability to listen to these speakers but I do not. Going by the measurements, it seems to be less perfect than what I expect form JBL at this price. I know you can do a lot worse though with many in-walls sold in the custom market so the news is not bad overall.

Without listening tests, I am withholding any recommendation.
I’m new to all this in walls.
I currently have revels F228Be for stereo
Looking to fit my room with inwalls for movie room.
Which do you recommend as the best inwalls? Looking for dynamics and SPL and clarity!

I can get the revel
W990 for 650$ each
w893 for 450$ each
Or SCL 6 for 750$each.

Also 7.0 phase technology DARTS FLYTE system!

Which will you choose and why? I don’t understand the measuring stuff all that much.

Valentin R

JBL scl-6 would be my choice
Very good dynamics and power handeling
And good dispersion

nathan

Which do you recommend as the best inwalls? Looking for dynamics and SPL and clarity!

I can get the revel
W990 for 650$ each
w893 for 450$ each
Or SCL 6 for 750$each.

Which will you choose and why? I don’t understand the measuring stuff all that much.
How far do you sit from the speakers?
What is your budget?

Assuming you are more than 8 feet from the speakers and like to be able to listen at reference level and have the money, the SCL6 are the only ones likely to have the output and power handling that you need in a home theater.

Fjc20

How far do you sit from the speakers?
What is your budget?

Assuming you are more than 8 feet from the speakers and like to be able to listen at reference level and have the money, the SCL6 are the only ones likely to have the output and power handling that you need in a home theater.
Distance is going to be around 10-12ft get away. Budget will be around 5k for speakers. No subs needed as I have already. But I get a great discount on revel and JBL

nathan

Yeah, hard to argue with the SCL6 in that situation.

Hifiaudio177

I can get the revel
W990 for 650$ each
w893 for 450$ each
Or SCL 6 for 750$each.

Have you heard the dARTS system? It has been suggested to me so I was hoping someone here has researched, heard, or owns it.

Top Bottom