• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3 Generations of Marantz flagship integrated amps measured

D700

Model 2270 and 2275 are two of my favourite Marantz receivers. They have a fantastic 1970s sound, look and vibe to them. Will drive anything, although a pair of JBL Century L100s would be their favourite match. Also the 2226, and the 1978, Model 1550 which is an underrated gem. I got rid of most of my vintage Marantz receivers when the prices skyrocketed about 12 years ago. I'd restored them all and quite frankly, I was done with old receivers. Then they kept going up! I think I sold my 2275 for $770 (12 years ago) and I'd paid $75 for it. Now they are selling at over $1500.

I just restored 4 vintage Marantz units for a friend who can't stop buying vintage and I think I'm done again for a while.
What I can’t understand is why Marantz or someone has not mated modern performance with that aesthetic …makes you want to get out of the chair to touch it…bouncy needles, momentum flywheel tuning knob…and that glow with champagne finish and wood sides…I mean damn. And that thunk sound the toggle switches made…oh man.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What I can’t understand is why Marantz or someone has not mated modern performance with that aesthetic …makes you want to get out of the chair to touch it…bouncy needles, momentum flywheel tuning knob…and that glow with champagne finish and wood sides…I mean damn. And that thunk sound the toggle switches made…oh man.

The top Yamaha integrated amplifiers have taken their award winning design aesthetic from the 1970s, reworked it and I would say, made it better. The tactile feel is truly wonderful and the build quality is pretty decent too.

1664174099186.png

D700

The top Yamaha integrated amplifiers have taken their award winning design aesthetic from the 1970s, reworked it and I would say, made it better. The tactile feel is truly wonderful and the build quality is pretty decent too.

View attachment 233330
Beautiful

vjen

Someone mentioned the PM-10 4 NC500 are in BTL. Is it the topology?
PM-10 NCORE Topology.png

Last edited:
OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone mentioned the PM-10 4 NC500 are in BTL. Is it the topology?

IMG_8073.jpeg

The nice thing about D&M is the availability of detailed service manuals…

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The nice thing about D&M is the availability of detailed service manuals…
For those of you that know what to do with them. grrrr

TabCam

Did you remeasure all three amplifier with the same grounding and other measuring improvements @GXAlan?

And did you use a filter for the ultrasonic noise of the NCore amplifier?

Top Bottom