• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac DBR62 amplifier recommendation

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Thanks! I will
I have the Elac Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 speakers paired with an Adcom GFA-5802 and Velodyne HGS18B6 subwoofer, crossed over at 100 Hz. Although my UBR62 speakers have great sound staging and imaging, and good detail, they lack dynamics, which I suspect you may be hearing in your Elac speakers. It certainly is not for lack of power, though - my GFA-5802 has 300 W/ch into 8 ohms and 450 W/ch into 4 ohms, and it had loads of dynamics when paired with custom speakers using Focal drivers I used to have.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
GFA-5802 has 300 W/ch into 4 ohms and 450 W/ch into 8 ohms
Wonderful amplifier for sure but your power ratings are not to spec.
z adcom.png

OP
G

Gamebox

I have the Elac Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 speakers paired with an Adcom GFA-5802 and Velodyne HGS18B6 subwoofer, crossed over at 100 Hz. Although my UBR62 speakers have great sound staging and imaging, and good detail, they lack dynamics, which I suspect you may be hearing in your Elac speakers. It certainly is not for lack of power, though - my GFA-5802 has 300 W/ch into 4 ohms and 450 W/ch into 8 ohms, and it had loads of dynamics when paired with custom speakers using Focal drivers I used to have.
The amp switched to protective mode after some listening at high volumes. Doesn’t that happen if the amp is overloded?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The amp switched to protective mode after some listening at high volumes. Doesn’t that happen if the amp is overloded?
I think you transposed 8ohm vs 4ohm power in your post. That said, I’m not even sure how you could be in the same room with them to have engaged protective mode. It must have been deafening.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Protective mode can be engaged due to a fault in a driver. ie. Intermittently shorting voice coil. Have you frequency swept the speakers lately?

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
That has never happened to me. It could be the amp got too hot, or perhaps something wrong with a speaker. Check the speakers as Doodski suggested. If they are fine, then probably it is that the amp got too hot. If that is the case, you may want an amp more suitable for those listening levels. My GFA-5802 doesn't get abnormally warm at my listening levels. Indeed, the chassis of my miniDSP SHD pre-amp/DSP runs hotter than my amp, which I do find strange.

OP
G

Gamebox

That has never happened to me. It could be the amp got too hot, or perhaps something wrong with a speaker. Check the speakers as Doodski suggested. If they are fine, then probably it is that the amp got too hot. If that is the case, you may want an amp more suitable for those listening levels. My GFA-5802 doesn't get abnormally warm at my listening levels. Indeed, the chassis of my miniDSP SHD pre-amp/DSP runs hotter than my amp, which I do find strange.
Yeah I just got a good deal on a Yamaha A-S1100. It should deliver enough power, or there has to be something wrong with the speakers/subs.

holbob

Are you connecting the subs via high level connections? That could be a problem - and maybe even more so if you connect it that way to a class D amp.

OP
G

Gamebox

Are you connecting the subs via high level connections? That could be a problem - and maybe even more so if you connect it that way to a class D amp.
Yeah. The subs are made to be connected that way.. They only differentiate on balanced/unbalanced/mono-blocks i believe, not amplifier-class

Stereotuber

Hello,

First off, I’m pretty new to this hobby, so please excuse any missused terms.

I started out with the B&W 606 speakers paired with the Bluesound powernode 2i and the ASW608 (8’’ active subwoofer from B&W). I enjoyed the sound from these for a long time as I came from a 5.1 satellite speaker setup, but after a while I noticed that I got tired of listening to my setup as it was to bright(?).

I burchased the Elac DBR62 after reading about them in this forum, and paired it with the Audiolab 6000a after viewing some youtube video where this pairing was recommended. It was a very nice upgrade from the b&w/powernode setup.

I added two rel tzero after getting them used for a really good price, but it seemed the little extra power they drew, or just the fact that i turned the volume a bit higher overloaded the amp. As I can’t run this setup at the volumes I would like, I need a new amp.

What would be a good pairing for these speakers and the rel’s? Note that I’ve been using the internal dac of the Audiolab so I would need a dac as well if it’s not integrated with the amp.

I live in Norway so it should be available in Europe.

Max budget around 1000 usd/euro

edit, concern from the review:

View attachment 232726
Do you have tubes? I use a tube preamp for hi fi speakers. Not Polk or Klipsch, I mean neutral or monitor speakers. Not LS50 for example. Elac DBR62 are very good with tubes. Balanced sound. Just my opinion from the studio.

OP
G

Gamebox

Do you have tubes? I use a tube preamp for hi fi speakers. Not Polk or Klipsch, I mean neutral or monitor speakers. Not LS50 for example. Elac DBR62 are very good with tubes. Balanced sound. Just my opinion from the studio.
No I don’t have tubes, but after reading your comment I just might get it… $$$

Stereotuber

My Rockville BluTube amp was $129.00 and sounds better than most $1,000.00 solid state amps. How do I know this? $120 ain't much pain to drive Elac DBR62's. They shake the couch with Movies. Has tone controls. Mine is set -0.5 treble, +1.8 bass (range= + - 10). I like bass and Elac delivers.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They would be good regardless of amplification. A low powered SET tube amp would struggle IMO at anything beyond normal listening. Higher power tube amps or SS would help for speakers that are not sensitive like these and most standmounts

Top Bottom