• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelfs that sound like Sennheiser HD650?

JayGould

I personally can't stand ear-piercing treble, so my favorite pair of headphones are the Sennheiser HD650. They are opposite of V-shaped (so low bass, high mids, low treble). I want something similar with speakers. Basically, I want to listen at high volumes without destroying my hearing or getting ear pain. Right now I have the floor standing Klipsch RF-8000F and I am not happy. No matter how high I turn the volume, they don't sound loud enough. I guess it's the lack of mids. I keep raising the volume until my ears hurt. Fatiguing. Some speakers I am thinking about:

- Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 (some have said they'd suit what I'm looking for, but I've heard some people describe them as "bright", so perhaps they won't suit me)
- Q Acoustics 3030i (similar to the 12.2 but less bright?)
- Polk R200

I intend to get a sub with these. My amp is a Cambridge Audio AXR-100. Any others I should look into? My budget is maximum $750.

Ninjastar

Wharfedale Diamond 225 are the least bright/softest treble speakers I've owned to date.

They are older than the 12 series, but you can still buy them at Music Direct and often on the used market

Amir measured the smaller 220 version here:

There is also the ELAC DBR-62 Debut Reference.

I have owned the HD650 before and still have the HD6xx so I have some idea of what you're looking for.

I've owned the 225, DBR-62, and R200 and I think the Diamond 225 is the most non-fatiguing speaker I've owned, but the ELAC DBR-62 and Polk R200 sound more accurate/neutral.

I just ordered a pair of Diamond 12.2's from Music Direct today so I may be able to report about those in a couple weeks. I still have the Polk R200 so I look forward to comparing. But this would all be subjective opinion on my part so better to trust the spin data here for the Diamond 12.1, DBR-62, and Napilopez's R200 quasi-spin.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

Streamc

Agree! But also I need bookshelf that sound like Hd660 or 598. 650 is more muted. I really wanted speaker that sounds like 660.

Recluse-Animator

Agree! But also I need bookshelf that sound like Hd660 or 598. 650 is more muted. I really wanted speaker that sounds like 660.
Even if there was a speaker that was designed to sound like the HD660 it wouldn't sound the same in all rooms.

Room acoustics have the most impact on sound.

muad

Wharfedale is probably your best bet. I like the Denton 80ths. Not sure if they sound exactly like HD650s (which I also own), but they are certainly not fatiguing and I can listen to them for hours.

I spent a decade looking for the hd650 type sound in a speaker, and went through 15+ speakers (revel, kef, psb, bmr, and more) before I reached my endgame. The Wharfedale Linton heritage are the only ones that come close. Everything sounds good on them. Smooth, balanced full range, perfect.

Nothing stand out on them. They just sound right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom